It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2012, 04:16 AM   #1
(male)

Adam80 HB User
Red face Manuka honey for LPR? any success stories?

Hi, Im a long term sufferer of LPR (over 2 years) and had little or no success on double dose PPIs for over 6 months. Usual symptoms, burning throat, tightness, lump, hoarse, painful speech. I find it is so much worse after alcohol, especially the next day. My feeling is that it is non acidic reflux and potentially bile related. Just wondering if anyone has found any benefits from manuka honey? either for pain relief or as an actual treatment of the condition? if so, how did you take it? in a drink? gargle, on bread? I use my voice a lot (singing and teaching) and I a really struggling with it, so anything to keep it as clear and hoarse free as possible is much sought after.
Ive been inhaling steam up to twice a day which does seem to offer some relief but only short term. Im due for another gastroscopy (2nd) at the end of august and hopefully another ph probe as well (the last of those was inconclusive). ITS VERY FRUSTRATING!!

Old 10-01-2012, 06:30 AM   #2
(male)

topsy1 HB User
Re: Manuka honey for LPR? any success stories?

Hi Adam, how's the voice?

Your thread caught my eye as I'm in **********, also do some teaching, and have had a relapse with my voice problems. I had problems back in 1999 (soreness after speech, tightening of throat) and suffered on and off till a consultant at ********** confidently suggested I take lansoprazole in 2005. This did the trick and, apart from one or two short relapses, I have been trouble-free since.

However, since last week things have gone downhill. I don't know the cause - the only thing I've done differently in recent months is not sleeping with a raised headboard, so I've put that right and we'll see what happens. I still take 30mg daily and a tempted to increase this but I'm unsure whether this is wise. I've also stopped drinking red wine less than 2 hours before bed (which is hard).

In 2009, following a relapse, I took Prozac (I was having a stressful time generally) and, whether or not coincidentally, my problem went away.

Anyway, it's 4 months since your post (I think), so how are things?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply