It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2012, 05:02 AM   #1
(male)

Johnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB User
Do refined sugars make your reflux much worse?

I am finding that I can't tolerate hardly any sugar in my diet, just sends my reflux to a whole new level. What surprises me is how quick it has an effect, within a half hour of eating it. Do others find that?
Really sucks , no sweets at all seems the only way to control it. Any options that seem to work for others?

Old 06-29-2012, 06:32 AM   #2
(female)

Pastafarian HB UserPastafarian HB User
Re: Do refined sugars make your reflux much worse?

I get reflux from most things but I also notice slightly exaggerated acid reflux symptoms after eating sweets. It's the worst if it's in liquid form (like a sugary fruit juice) or a really sweet dessert (like a donut or pastry). I'm not sure that it's refined sugar because honey gives me terrible reflux... And there are lots of things that have sugar in them that don't seem to have an effect one way or the other. I can eat banana bread and ice cream with no noticeable difference. I just figured it might have to do with the amount of sugar or the other components in the food. I avoid sugars for other reasons, but that is just one more reason to cut them out.

Edit: just thought to add... I get bad reflux from oranges and red grapes. My dietician told me that both of those fruits are high in sugar. I wonder if there's a correlation...

Last edited by Pastafarian; 06-29-2012 at 07:00 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2012, 07:56 AM   #3
(male)

Johnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB User
Re: Do refined sugars make your reflux much worse?

There are some things that contain sugar that don't seem to bother me. I can eat a McFlurry ice cream treat without issue. Just seems it there is a high sugar content that I best be wary about it. Had two red licorices the other day and within a few minutes my reflux soared. It may be the sugar gets adrenaline moving in your system as well , perhaps it's just not the stomach issue. Just one more treat in life that this reflux takes away from us.

Closed Thread