It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2012, 11:06 PM   #1
(male)

boselecta HB User
Healing throat damage due to acid (Silent?) reflux.

Hi all,

I wonder if any can help with this.

A few months ago I think remember regurgitating some acid into the back of my throat and I'm not sure but I think since then I've been suffering from a burnt throat due to the acid. I say I think because I just remember when the symptoms started and I tried piecing things together.

Symptoms are; Larynx 'catching' or 'clicking' on the upper part of my esophagus, excessive mucus production, throat clearing, difficulty swallowing and post nasal drip. I get the symptoms lightly throughout the day but mostly during and immediately after eating. I don't appear to get them 1-2 hours after eating like GERD.

I'm not sure if its silent reflux because I don't have typical symptoms such as sore throat, a bad taste, hoarseness or any particular problems during the night.

I am sure my throat is burnt because yesterday I had some apple cider vinegar as I heard it was good for reflux but instead of diluting it I took a shot which absolutely ruined my throat for the entire day. It was on fire and was catching like crazy!

Is it possible to cause that kind of damage from one fairly unremarkable bout of reflux?

Also; any good tips on how to heal a damaged throat?

All the best,

Tim

Old 07-02-2012, 06:11 AM   #2
(male)

Johnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB User
Re: Healing throat damage due to acid (Silent?) reflux.

One flare up might not do it but you could be having some reflux and not be aware, then a bad flare up makes you aware and you feel the pain. The acid from the stomach is very strong and can damage cells very easily. Sorta like poring acid on your hand, once the damage is done it can take some time to heal.
Cider Vinegar is very , very acidic, you are just adding to the issue by drinking it straight. Most people use it for stomach issues not for reflux directly , the theory is that it supplements acid that isn't there with some folks. Most of us I don't believe have that issue, it is to much acid causing our problems. They drink it diluted usually , a teaspoon in a glass of water. I have tried many of these off the shelf supplements and nothing worked for me. Taking a PPI , diet and lifestyle is what has helped me the most, the traditional path.
Regarding the timing of reflux , I posted back to a question you had on another thread. The tricky part of reflux is that we are all a little different , when the symptoms appear with you could be different than others and yet it could still be reflux. Best to see a doc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #3
(male)

Gonzoe HB UserGonzoe HB User

dont go to the damn doctor, that is easily fixed do some research. i had exact same **** and the ppi gave me gave me real gerd symptoms heartburn, chest, throat, ear on fire. All you have do is change your diet and elevate your bed and your sore throat will go away. i made mistake take ppi again and i had my gerd in remission for 2 years and same thing. although my body is rejecting the meds and pumps more acid, yours might be ok

Old 07-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #4
(male)

boselecta HB User

That just happened to me! I ended up getting some PPI and took them for three days. Now I have the symptoms of GERD that I never had! Needless to say I'm off the PPIs now. Will my body reset itself naturally and how long will it take? They certainly did more harm than good.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:17 PM   #5
(female)

Pastafarian HB UserPastafarian HB User

It does take a while for your throat to heal because the kind of tissue in your larynx is very sensitive to acid. My mom swears by honey. I've also really found the children's sore throat suckers containing pectin to soothe my throat. The really tricky part is that you could be experiencing reflux in the night that doesn't wake you up. A little bit of acid every night could be just enough to keep your throat from feeling better. Personally I havent found an answer to stop the reflux. PPIs, h2 blockers and antacids are the magic combination to make every day tolerable, but I'm seeing another GI soon to try to find a better fix. I know a lot of people are worried about traditional medicine and I respect that, but the complications from long term damage caused by reflux are scary too. I would be careful about eating/drinking anything acidic. It will only make it harder for your throat to heal. That includes weak acetic acid (vinegar) and fruit juice, tomatoes, etc.

Last edited by Pastafarian; 07-02-2012 at 10:21 PM.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:37 PM   #6
(male)

boselecta HB User

Thank you very much for your informative responses. I will keep everyone up to date on my progress and if anyone else has anything else to share I'd be very interested to hear it.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:02 AM   #7
(male)

Johnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB User

Don't be too quick to judge the PPI's, millions of people take them with good results. It takes 3-5 days for PPI's to start working. Always downsides to drugs but if the benefit outweighs that it may be best to take them. Certainly if you haven't been on H2's you should start with them, not sure why you would get PPI's first without trying a H2 like Pepcid etc. first. Less chance of rebound with that group of drugs.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:58 AM   #8
(male)

No I think you should do research on ppi yourself. Taking drugs long term is never safe. You can fix your gerd with lifestyle changes as I did. (had silent reflux until took ppi) I had good life for two years before I took ppi again. All it did was give me ten times worst system and now I really have a burnt esophagus and have to go to endoscopy. I don't even know how I can heal it now without ppi. I rather do surgery. I was very active n can do alot without any Fred symptoms just have adjust around it. Now life is ****** if it doesn't heal

Last edited by Gonzoe; 07-03-2012 at 11:03 AM.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:02 AM   #9
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnah View Post
Don't be too quick to judge the PPI's, millions of people take them with good results. It takes 3-5 days for PPI's to start working. Always downsides to drugs but if the benefit outweighs that it may be best to take them. Certainly if you haven't been on H2's you should start with them, not sure why you would get PPI's first without trying a H2 like Pepcid etc. first. Less chance of rebound with that group of drugs.
I been many doctors and they all gave ppi. I am pretty clean guy in terms of mess is maybe why I'm so sensitive to ppi. But everyone is different. I never had chronic heart burn til I took raberprozele. I used Zantac and change lifestyle to fix that headache. After two years had some cramps so asked doc if had hiatal hernia. Ended up with nexium. When it wore out symptoms when ten times crazy burnt the crap out of me middle of night. No I'm freaked out BC I know esophagus is injured hurts at bottom when eat n feels sore in area. Just don't want anyone end up like me.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #10
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boselecta View Post
That just happened to me! I ended up getting some PPI and took them for three days. Now I have the symptoms of GERD that I never had! Needless to say I'm off the PPIs now. Will my body reset itself naturally and how long will it take? They certainly did more harm than good.
Yes it takes time and patient depending how bad the acid rebound is. But now you will easily get those symptoms back if you don't watch your diet closely.

Old 07-04-2012, 05:28 PM   #11
(male)

boselecta HB User

Hey guys, quick update.

I had an endoscopy which revealed severe esophagitis around the lower sphincter. The rest of the esophagus looked ok apparently although she didn't get to see my throat which is of course where the majority of my problems are located.

My throat is feeling terrible today. I assume its because the procedure irritated by already really irritated throat? I did my fair share of vomit up bile during it!

Back on the PPIs for the next 3 months at least to clear up the esophagitis.

Thanks for everyone's support and advice.

Will keep contributing.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:51 AM   #12
(male)

We're you on ppi before endoscopy? If so, how can it be severe? Ya I heard you will have sore throat for two days so can't imagine if you already had before you did endo

Forgot to ask, can you try sleeping upright it will help heal your throat? Is there any other option doc give you other than ppi? Once you are on ppi majority can't get off it BC of the acid rebound

Last edited by Gonzoe; 07-05-2012 at 10:54 AM.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:27 PM   #13
(male)

boselecta HB User

Yeah I was on PPIs for a whole 2 days but they started giving me indigestion so I went to the docs for an endo and then they found the severe Esophagitis. Now I'm back on the PPIS to get this damage healed up.

Once its healed I'm going to ween myself off them slowly. Acid rebound be damned!

Old 07-05-2012, 07:06 PM   #14
(male)

you couldnt tell your esophagus was damaged? mine hurts so damn much and feels sore and tight there

Old 07-05-2012, 07:23 PM   #15
(male)

boselecta HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzoe View Post
you couldnt tell your esophagus was damaged? mine hurts so damn much and feels sore and tight there
No, I have silent reflux which means you don't feel the damage. You feel it in your throat instead.

Closed Thread