It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2012, 08:58 AM   #1
(female)

lyndsayjade HB User
nodule at end of esaphogus

I'm new to this, but i need some help understanding what my doctor found during a recent endoscopy. First off I am 19 years old and was having upper right side pain with a little bit of heartburn here and there. well after having the endoscopy done the doctor came in with pictures and he said he found a nodule at the end of my esaphagus where it meets the stomach. but i dont know what a nodule is? he also found a decreased amount of ridges in my small intestine, looking at the pictures, i barely have any. is this something i should be concered about? he took the nodule out to run some tests on it, but i have to wait a week or 2 to find out the results. Can anyone help me?

thank you!

Old 07-03-2012, 05:47 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Stretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB User
Re: nodule at end of esaphogus

When I had my scope done I also had this and was told that it was a taking for a biopsy it's a growth of some kind did he mention any swelling of the esophogus or if you had signs of reflux? Don't worry to much its part of getting scoped.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2012, 06:08 PM   #3
(female)

sealbeachluvr HB Usersealbeachluvr HB Usersealbeachluvr HB User

My mom instilled this in me
"The biggest things we worry about turn out to be nothing at all".
Don't be scared - beans keep us posted.

Old 07-04-2012, 05:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Finding assorted bumps or nodules in the stomach or esophagus isn't unusual. I've had several, the biopsy said they were harmless.

See what happens when you go back.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:47 AM   #5
(female)

lyndsayjade HB User

thank you guys so much! everything i was reading about these always had something to do with a cancer of some sorts. but i guess by reading all those i was pyshing myself out. Hopefully i will get my results soon. and no he didnt mention any swelling that i remember.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:11 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Nope, most of them are NOT cancer, especially in younger people (like under the age of 50 or 60). But when something like that is found during endoscopy, the doctor does a biopsy just to make sure.

Good luck, and I hope you get better soon.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:43 AM   #7
(male)

Gonzoe HB UserGonzoe HB User

I'm guessing that's where the sphincter is. It's probably from the stomach acid constantly burning it. I'd be surprised if I didn't have it. Is endoscopy tough if you inflamed esophagus already and difficult swallowing?

Old 07-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

The endoscope is very very narrow, so it can fit down comfortably even if the esophagus is inflamed.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:35 PM   #9
Veteran
(male)

Stretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB User

First of all Janewhite I just noticed all your posts over the years thank you so much for all the info you must have shared over the years invaluable but the endo are very easy I have had 4 over a ten year span because I have Low grade Barrets They are a breeze well at least for me one time I thought he would find something big I was scheduled for one and I ahd a horrid lump in my throat but no just the normal gerds slightly inflamed throat the endo no worries

Old 07-05-2012, 10:01 PM   #10
(female)

lyndsayjade HB User

I know this isn't my main question for this topic, but what could cause diminished ridges in my small intestine? In my pictures I got, there were only 2 noticeable ridges and that was it.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:21 PM   #11
Veteran
(male)

Are you thinking there are supposed to be more? I do not recall seeing any in mine earlier this year so maybe it's not important?

Old 07-06-2012, 05:18 AM   #12
(female)

lyndsayjade HB User

My doctor said it was a sign of disease but I don't recall which one

Old 07-06-2012, 09:48 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

I don't know about the decreased ridges thing. Did every search I could think of, got nuthin.

I can tell you that the purpose of the ridges is to increase the surface area in your small intestine. Fewer ridges would make it more difficult for nutrients to move from the gut to the bloodstream. But I can't tell you WHY someone would have fewer ridges than normal.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:11 AM   #14
(female)

lyndsayjade HB User

I remember him saying that he took biopsies to rule out any possible infections. I get my results Monday. Hopefully they will help clear up any answers. Thanks for your help!

Old 11-30-2012, 03:08 PM   #15
(female)

MISSYJOY HB User

What ever happened with the nodule? What was the diagnosis?

Closed Thread

Tags
endoscopy, nodule