It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2012, 04:30 PM   #1
(female)

4dad HB User4dad HB User
omeprazole versus omeprazole magnesium

I've done some research to try and understand the difference. My doctor prescribed omeprazole 40mg generic capsules that is covered by my insurance. It is made by Mylan and is delayed release. He wanted me to try it as a last resort before he calls my insurance company to fight for coverage of Nexium. Unfortunately, this omeprazole is not working well. I didn't notice anything until today (3rd day) and now I'm having significant heartburn and reflux. I had tried 40mg Prilosec tablets (took 2 pills) before the doctor prescribed this omeprazole and I'll have to say I think it worked better. I called the pharmacy to inquire and they said the omeprazole has no salts which apparently helps absorption in some? I'm still not sure about this. If this is the case, why have two kinds? So I'm thinking to switch to Prilosec tomorrow as I'm becoming more and more miserable by the minute! Has anyone had different experiences between the two? Is omeprazole magnesium the formula closest to Nexium? Thanks for any help! This whole thing with no insurance coverage for Nexium has really been a bummer for me. Just shows how dependent I am on this medication.

Thanks so much.
Lori

Old 07-17-2012, 05:30 PM   #2
(female)

smccrac HB User
Re: omeprazole versus omeprazole magnesium

I don't know much about the comparison, but I do think you need to give the omeprazole more time. It took me 1-3 weeks to feel better and feel the effects of the medication.

Once I quit cold turkey (horrible idea) and it took me 2 weeks back on the medication to feel the heartburn being suppressed. Then the omeprazole started to not work as well (I was on 1 20mg dosage per day), so my doctor told me to increase to 2 20mg pills per day. It took about a 1 and a half for me to feel the effects of that.

So, give the omeprazole time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2012, 06:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

If the OTC version of Prilosec works, then take that. Everyone's body processes things a little bit differently. That's why it's sometimes good to have slightly different medicines to treat the same thing.

And, yes, the dependency thing is awful! Don't you wish they'd warned us?

Old 07-17-2012, 06:37 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Stretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB User

I have taken what seems likes every PPI ever make like a merry go round use for able like a few years there it seem to lose some of it potencie anyways I have not found anything that works quite as well as Nexium I do not currently use because of the same issue of no insurance coverage. But you can buy omeprazole with magnesium over the conter in tablet and capsule form I currently use prescription omeprazole once day with prescription Radadine at night as needed. My GI doc says not everyone's body is diff so you have to see what works for you you might also ask about Dexilant which is the latest PPI's it was given to me by my regular doctor as a sample but I have not had a need to take it thank god! This stuff is supposed to be great but as like with anything it may or may not be covered by your insurance. GERD LUCK! Haha right this is what my GI do like to say geezs

Old 07-19-2012, 08:46 PM   #5
(female)

4dad HB User4dad HB User

Thank you everyone. I've taken the prescription omeprazole from last Sunday to Tuesday. I then switched from that to Prilosec OTC. I thought it was working better but today I've had my worst day. I'm on day 5 now of no Nexium and I'm concerned that this will get really bad in about 2 days. I know for a fact that Prevacid, Protonix, Dexilant do not work for me. Aciphex works very well but my tinnitus increases so loud that I struggle to sleep. I wish I could take it because my insurance covers it. I do not know if this Prilosec is going to work at all but I'm praying with all my might that it just needs to build up. I don't know whether to count the generic and the otc formula to say it is in my system now 5 days? I don't understand why most of these drugs do not work well for me!

The docs do not tell you about the dependence and I wish they did. I tried taking lower doses of PPI's in the past and none of them worked for my reflux/heartburn. I have a small hiatal hernia that should not cause me too much grief but it does!

My doctor is not ready to call my insurance company and fight for Nexium coverage. I never thought I'd be in this poistion where I feel like a drug addict!

Old 05-24-2013, 12:46 PM   #6
(male)

GERDnight HB User

I got here by typing "omeprazole is killing me" into my browser. I was taking Nexium but I recently changed insurance companies through work and they claim that Nexium is not a preventative medication so it is not covered.

I took one Nexium a day and it was all I needed to halt my acid reflux, and I had no side effects that I was aware of.

I have pretty much tried everything and nothing else works like Nexium. Sorry if this sounds like a commercial, but I don't care. I got some samples but recently ran out and began taking Omeprazole. It is tearing me up. I have chronic pain and churning.

I really don't know what to do at this point. I could buy nexium for $200 a month, but that's really not affordable. There are some who claim that Nexium is no different that Prilosec, but they don't know what they are talking about.

I would like to challenge the Insurance Company's claim that Nexium is indeed preventative. Does anyone have experience with that?

Old 07-31-2013, 04:56 PM   #7
(female)

mcole HB User

My insurance quit paying for Nexum (UHC) also. They claim it is the same as Prilosec. I started taking Omeprazole Magnesium and it is working for me. Make sure you don't get the Omeprazole without the Magnesium as I did one day and ended up with heartburn all day. Hope this helps, I get the equate brand from Walmart.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:07 PM   #8
(male)

biggrego HB User

Terrible to hear your symptoms are the worst you've had. And all because of some (probably) cost-cutting measures in the insurance company.

Have you tried some good ole TUMS to carry you over in a pinch?

Also, what is your diet like? Have you made any drastic changes there?

Old 08-14-2013, 10:18 PM   #9
(male)

GERDnight HB User

Thanks for the replies. I'm going in for a roto rooter in Oct and the GI doc said she will go to bat for me after if my current prescription (Panteprazole) doesn't work. It works better than anything I've tried, except Nexium but I supplement it with Zantac and TUMS.

I have TUMS everywhere, my laptop bag, golf bag, work, home, car...but it too doesn't seem to have the immediate relief I used to get.

I will try the Omep + Magnesium.

Thanks for help.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:00 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Terlin HB User
Wink Re: omeprazole versus omeprazole magnesium

Quote:
Originally Posted by GERDnight View Post
Thanks for the replies. I'm going in for a roto rooter in Oct and the GI doc said she will go to bat for me after if my current prescription (Panteprazole) doesn't work. It works better than anything I've tried, except Nexium but I supplement it with Zantac and TUMS.

I have TUMS everywhere, my laptop bag, golf bag, work, home, car...but it too doesn't seem to have the immediate relief I used to get.

I will try the Omep + Magnesium.

Thanks for help.
can anyone tell me what the side effects and dependency of ppi's are and what the symptoms of gerd and hiatal hernia is my gastro that I need omprazole and all my ailments are not caused by gerd or hiatus please and Thankyou

Old 03-26-2014, 12:10 PM   #11
(male)

Byla HB User

None of the posts here seem to discuss the Thread topic in detail. Does anyone have any input on using omeprazole versus omeprazole with magnesium? Or am I missing that Prilosec has magnesium?

I've been on Lansoprazole (no magnesium) and have to switch to Omeprazole due to insurance coverage and don't know if I should take the one with magnesium. I tried a sample dose of Prilosec and it seemed to work but it was only 1 day so that may not be much of a test. Also I don't know if it had magnesium, while I tried to keep the empty package as reference, my dear wife pitched the "trash."

Old 03-26-2014, 05:44 PM   #12
(female)

rachelle847 HB User

hi byla i have been taking prilosec for about two months now. my dr gave me a script for omeprazole.there is no magnesium in the script i get filled as there is in prilosec. i have taken both an i really dont notice one to be any better then the other. i have asked my family dr an my gastro dr an the pharmacist which is better. they have all said whichever one works the best for me is the one to go with. i think im gonna stick with the prilosec and supplement it with tums.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:37 PM   #13
(female)

4dad HB User4dad HB User

The Prilosec had the magnesium but the generic omeprazole I was given did not. I ended up staying on Nexium and paying outright for it. The Prilosec did work for me but I had to take 80mg to have the same effect as the Nexium. The doctor did not want me to do that. I still think Prilosec is a good alternative.

Old 04-12-2014, 05:53 AM   #14
(male)

Skeeball10 HB User

Thanks to everyone for the info. I can attest to the fact that Prilosec does take several days to build up. I had been taking Prilosec then switched to a prescription generic and had terrible heartburn with a couple days. I assumed it was a tablet vs capsule issue. Didn't realize that the lack of magnesium might be the issue. I've been asking the pharmacy to process the Prilosec OTC for my omeprazole prescription for HSA purposes, but they refuse. Must not be any profit in it for them.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:13 AM   #15
(female)

4dad HB User4dad HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GERDnight View Post
I got here by typing "omeprazole is killing me" into my browser. I was taking Nexium but I recently changed insurance companies through work and they claim that Nexium is not a preventative medication so it is not covered.

I took one Nexium a day and it was all I needed to halt my acid reflux, and I had no side effects that I was aware of.

I have pretty much tried everything and nothing else works like Nexium. Sorry if this sounds like a commercial, but I don't care. I got some samples but recently ran out and began taking Omeprazole. It is tearing me up. I have chronic pain and churning.

I really don't know what to do at this point. I could buy nexium for $200 a month, but that's really not affordable. There are some who claim that Nexium is no different that Prilosec, but they don't know what they are talking about.

I would like to challenge the Insurance Company's claim that Nexium is indeed preventative. Does anyone have experience with that?

Hello,
I ended up paying for Nexium and found it cheapest at Walmart using the AstraZeneca $50 coupon (you can get it online at their website) plus my AAA discount (just a few dollars). It came to something like $169 but in one year went up $10 dollars. Then my husband changed jobs and it is now covered again for me. As far as an alternative, the omeprazole without magnesium did not work for me but the Prilosec did but only at double the dose, so 80mg. My doctor did not want me to take that much. I did a lot of research and found chemists talking about there is indeed a difference between esomeprazole and omeprazole. 20mg omeprazole is equivalent 10 mg esomeprazole. If you have to change, I would say Prilosec but you may need more to get to the level of relief you've had with Nexium. All the others I tried and none of the helped me. Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to 4dad For This Useful Post:
Skeeball10 (04-12-2014)
Reply Reply