It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2012, 11:25 PM   #1
(female)

StillWorried HB User
Severe heartburn and vomiting blood last night

Hey everyone,

Last night, I experienced severe heartburn, and shortly afterward I began gagging. At first some clear fluid came up, and then I vomited some food chunks, and then I noticed I had vomited blood. It wasn't an enormous amount, more like the size of a couple half dollars. I've had 3 or 4 other episodes of heartburn over the last couple of months, but they went away after I took some medicine for antacid. It seems like in these cases, the heartburn coincided with the time I take my prescription drugs at night (I take 200 mg Lamictal, 100 mg Zoloft, a birth control pill, and 5 mg Melatonin all at once).

It seems like this last episode also coincided with me taking the medicine, but also with drinking a cup of Sleepytime tea, which has chamomile, lemongrass, and spearmint. I've steeped the tea before for a period of 10 minutes with no problems (it says on the box to steep it up to 6 minutes), but this time I steeped it a little longer—about 13 minutes, and the tea had a sharp, acidic taste to it. Also, I had stopped drinking the tea for about 3 weeks before resuming again a couple days ago.

One concern I have about this is that I have had colon cancer twice, although I am now 5 years cancer free. (I'm 29, and have a genetic cause.) I know from experience that a sign of colon cancer is blood in the stool, so I'm worried that blood coming from the esophagus or stomach could be a bad sign. I also smoke, which I know is bad, but I have limited myself to 4 or 5 cigarettes a day now over the past 6 months. However, I worry that even that amount may have contributed to a problem with my esophagus. I also will often experience nervousness and stress at night (my bipolar disorder may contribute to this) and I've heard that stress causes stomach issues.

My questions are: What do you think has caused the heartburn? What caused me to vomit the blood last night? Also, should I be concerned enough to a point where I have to go to the doctor? (I don't have health insurance, so I'd rather not, but I will if its a dire circumstance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Stretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB User
Re: Severe heartburn and vomiting blood last night

Cancer aside spotty blood from a inflamed esophogus is not uncommon i myself have cough up splotches of blood with acid reflux along with food but just because I and other have with your past only you and a doctor can determine this I just don't want to to stress out it's not uncommon

The Following User Says Thank You to Stretch1one For This Useful Post:
StillWorried (07-21-2012)
Old 07-23-2012, 11:19 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User
Re: Severe heartburn and vomiting blood last night

Blood in your stools or vomit is a warning sign. It may not mean you have cancer, but it is important to follow up with your doctor, particularly if you have a history of colon cancer and a genetic predisposition for it. I think it is extremely important for you to follow up with your personal physician immediately to rule out a serious problem. Blood can mean irritated tissues, but nobody (including your doctor) can tell you whether or not you have a more serious problem without running tests.

Pills can aggravate heartburn and irritate the stomach lining, particularly a bunch of them taken at once. It may be better to space them out and make sure you take them with food. Herbal teas do not agree with me, particulary anything minty. Even chamomile tea gives me heartburn, which is interesting because it is supposed to be mild and good for your stomach. My brother has the same problem. He cannot drink chamomile tea without experiencing stomach upset.

As you already know, smoking is very, very, very, very bad for you. If you can cut down to five, I hope you can cut down to one and eventually none. The effect of smoking is cummulative and can impact all organs in your body, including your kidneys and liver (any organ that has to metabolize or excrete the nicotine can be affected).

You are very young. Think of what smoking five cigarrettes a day can do to you fifteen or twenty years down the road.

Please, let us know what happens and all the best to you.

Rose

Closed Thread