It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2012, 04:52 AM   #1
(female)

k9love HB User
Lansoprazole and bloating?

Ive been on Lansoprazole 30mg for about a month now, now my stomach is really bloated! and I seemed to have gained weight.

Could this be a side effect of Lansoprazole!?

Anyone else had this happen on theses meds? and what did you do?

Thanks.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:07 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

kacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB User
Re: Lansoprazole and bloating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9love View Post
Ive been on Lansoprazole 30mg for about a month now, now my stomach is really bloated! and I seemed to have gained weight.

Could this be a side effect of Lansoprazole!?

Anyone else had this happen on theses meds? and what did you do?

Thanks.
Yes, bloating is a common side effect of taking ppis, such as lansoprazole. Weight gain can be, I didn't have that, if anything it supressed my appetite, but many people do put on weight while taking it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2012, 06:22 AM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

Indeed as Kacyc said, it can be a side effect of that drug. I used to take that and Omeprazole but both made me very ill after 1 month where i was admitted to hospital. I now take Nexium without all the side effects. Doctors dont often give you option of them as they are expensive, but the hospital made it clear thats the only ones i should be taking and i have to say they work and with out any side effects.

Speak to your doctor and see what they can do for you.

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

The Following User Says Thank You to Apollo123 For This Useful Post:
k9love (07-23-2012)
Old 07-23-2012, 07:35 AM   #4
(female)

k9love HB User

Can you tell me how they made you feel?

I feel terrible! breathless, no energy! and generally unwell.

Am going to go back to doc, this is worse than the gerd!!!

Old 07-23-2012, 07:46 AM   #5
Facilitator
(male)

Apollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB UserApollo123 HB User

Hiya K9. Thats what i had to but also i blow up so much i couldnt even put my jeans on. My face looked like a balloon although i wasnt eating much as i thought how fat i was getting and could not work out why? In the end i went to the doctors with really bad stomach pain, sweating and could hardley stand up, i really did think i was not going to make it to the hospital to which he sent me to that night and direct to the ward.

If you look at the leaflet for allergic reactions for the drug you will see a long list and i had most of them. Certainly breathless and bloating are very common. Personally i would stop taking them now and use gaviscon until you see your doctor and if you feel better then you have the answer.

He will of course try you on the other medication but most people like me still had a reaction to them, so nexium was what the hospital said i should take. I do sometimes get some bloating but take windease to help.

I hope that helps?

"Being defeated is only a temporary condition; giving up is what makes it permanent".

Old 07-23-2012, 09:37 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I had side effects to some PPIs but not others.

For now, I would quit the lansoprazole, and try to manage your symptoms with diet and antacids. If you can't, try a different PPI.

Be aware, some people get a "rebound" effect when they quit, where symptoms are worse for awhile.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:57 PM   #7
(female)

k9love HB User

Thanks, thats exactly how I am,cant fit in to any of my clothes!

And sweating for GB!!!

Will stop them till I can see gp

Thanks again x

Old 07-23-2012, 02:22 PM   #8
Facilitator
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9love View Post
Thanks, thats exactly how I am,cant fit in to any of my clothes!

And sweating for GB!!!

Will stop them till I can see gp

Thanks again x
Lol i know not funny really. Stop the meds and drink loads of water, that helped me get back to normal. Best of luck and keep us updated

Old 09-26-2012, 04:53 AM   #9
(female)

Subola HB User

Hey all! I am also having an issue with bloating and weight gain on this drug. I'm just wondering how it took you to get back to normal after stopping the drug.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:23 AM   #10
Facilitator
(male)

It took me about 2 weeks to get to normal but than meant being carefull to what i had to eat and drink so not to create any more heartburn.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #11
(female)

mrs pin HB User

I am relieved to read all the above answers as my stomach looks like I am pregnant and I am so uncomfortable. At least I know there will be an end to this after I finish my treatment for a stomach ulcer.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #12
Veteran
(male)

movielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB User

PPI's work by reducing stomach acid production.

This makes it harder for your stomach to process what you eat leading to bloating.

I take a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and mix it with a glass of water and drink that every day.

You need to see your doctor to get on a different medicine. There are several different PPI's to choose from and one should work better for you.

Reply Reply