It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2012, 01:59 PM   #1
(male)

sanchez1971 HB User
Is this Heart burn/Acid Reflex

I have had a burning sensation in my stomach area and then sometimes later on behind my my rib cage and sometimes the feeling is in the back of my throat. The more I stress about it, it gets worst. My doctor put me on omeprozal and it sometimes works and sometimes it doesn't. I have anxiety and Health Anxiety. I am so obsessed with cancer that it drives me crazy. My dad died of liver and colon cancer and ever since that I cannot get the word "Cancer" out of my mind. I go and look into the internet and type in how I feel and cancer comes up. The burning sensation can last all day it comes and goes. I can feel it on my shoulders and going through the my back. Can someone relate to this.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Is this Heart burn/Acid Reflex

Cancer is a pretty uncommon explanation for your symptoms. Heartburn is much more likely.

However, since the omeprazole has only partially helped, you should probably see a gastroenterologist for testing and diagnosis.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
sanchez1971 (07-24-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2012, 08:08 PM   #3
(male)

sanchez1971 HB User

I have only taking this medication for 2 weeks. How long should the medication take for it to be working. Does anyone know.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:34 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

There should be some relief after a few days, but the full benefit might take up to a month, especially if you have actual erosions in your stomach lining or esophagus.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
sanchez1971 (07-25-2012)
Old 07-26-2012, 05:17 PM   #5
(male)

sanchez1971 HB User

I do good for some days then depends on what I eat or if I bend down or if my anxiety kicks in I fell the burning sensation in my stomach and my throat followed by a sour/salty taste in my mouth. The doctor gave me another medication to take with omeprazol.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:07 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User

I agree with Jane's comments. I also know stress can aggravate almost any physical symptom or at least magnify it in our minds. It has happened to me.

I have had two upper endoscopies at my own request. The first one I had five years ago when I was first diagnosed with GERD, and the second a couple of months ago or so. My esophagus and stomach look great according to my doctor even though I have had symptoms of heartburn on and off for several years.

I do not take PPI's. I take H2 blockers which are milder and not as efficient meds. Therefore, my symptoms come and go depending on the day, my level of stress, what I eat that day, etc.

The best way to reassure yourself that there is no cancer is to have an upper and lower endoscopy (colonoscopy) to be able to investigate. You may be too young for a colonoscopy, but if your symptoms persist for a long time (in spite of the PPI treatment), then it may be advisable to have an upper endoscopy. It brought me much peace of mind.

Nobody can reassure you that you don't have cancer, but it is best to be thoroughly checked and then try not to worry daily about whether or not one has cancer.

I tend to be a worry wart, but I try to take good care of my health, read a lot, stay informed, have regular checkups and then not worry so much. Otherwise, I will waste my entire life worrying about something I cannot control, only monitor and treat if and when (if ever).

Rose

Old 07-27-2012, 10:01 PM   #7
(female)

winghall HB User

You should try to deal with your anxiety & stress as well. See a counselor or psychologist.
Your symptoms are very much 'reflux due to anxiety and obsession'. Try to relax. See a gastroenterologist.

Closed Thread