HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Acid Reflux / GERD (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/acid-reflux-gerd/)
-   -   Any research on standing vs. sitting after eating? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/acid-reflux-gerd/911261-any-research-standing-vs-sitting-after-eating.html)

kiwinz 07-25-2012 02:53 AM

Any research on standing vs. sitting after eating?

I have heard "relax while you eat" and many say to remain sitting after a meal for some time. I have a theory that staying seated after eating may not be a good idea. It seems logical to me that in a sitting state the LES valve would be less tense, and if standing the LES would get a signal to remain tighter. Why? because the body would be in a motive position and the valve would need to be taut in case of movement. This is purely speculative of course, but I plan to test this theory out myself now that I have a standing desk. I plan to sit, relax and enjoy my meals (smaller portions, smaller bites, chewing longer), then after my meal stay in a standing position. Our abdominal muscles constantly work in this position, so maybe the LES valve would as well. I also seem better after walking briskly in our hilly neighborhood for 1hr a day (I am 5-11 165lbs so the feeling better is not attributed to weight loss). I think the upright position and walking may naturally improve the LES valve. Always interested to discuss such ideas, concepts or be directed to studies if anyone knows of them.

Johnah 07-25-2012 01:00 PM

Re: Any research on standing vs. sitting after eating?

I always find I feel better , have less reflux while standing or walking. I am sure there is something to it. No doubt bending at the waist creates a lot of reflux for me so the idea that increased pressure on the stomach when sitting adds to stress on the LES makes sense.

janewhite1 07-25-2012 02:24 PM

Well, if you do sit after eating, make sure your spine is straight, to reduce pressure on the stomach. If you stand afterwards, try to avoid bending over, bouncing, or heavily exerting yourself until the food digests somewhat.

rosebloom 07-27-2012 02:19 PM

I have found that I ALWAYS have fewer symptoms if I stay standing after eating for about thirty minutes or so. I water my plants or take a short, relaxed walk. No vigorous exercise, but some relaxing activity that keeps me upright seems to help me. I rarely experience heartburn at night even though I eat my larger meal in the evening. I eat not too much at lunchtime but usually experience more heartburn after lunch because I work a sedentary job and must continue working after lunch.

Maybe we can take a quick poll here and see what others have experienced or if there are strong opinions one way or the other.

Rose

kiwinz 07-27-2012 04:28 PM

[QUOTE=rosebloom;5028742]I have found that I ALWAYS have fewer symptoms if I stay standing after eating for about thirty minutes or so. I water my plants or take a short, relaxed walk. No vigorous exercise, but some relaxing activity that keeps me upright seems to help me. I rarely experience heartburn at night even though I eat my larger meal in the evening. I eat not too much at lunchtime but usually experience more heartburn after lunch because I work a sedentary job and must continue working after lunch.

Maybe we can take a quick poll here and see what others have experienced or if there are strong opinions one way or the other.

Rose[/QUOTE]

Hi Rose, one thing that helped me A LOT was removing almost all sitting from my life. I constructed a standing desk at home using some shelves and it's made a world of difference. Many offices are also embracing the standing desk so maybe you can request one.