It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2012, 06:06 AM   #1
(male)

deadendstreet HB User
Been diagnosed with severe acid reflux...

So after about 6 weeks of going to the Dr and undergoing several tests, I've officially been diagnosed with Severe Acid Reflux.

About six weeks ago when I first started having problems, the dr. put me on Prilosec OTC. That helped with all of the symptoms except the nausea. So this week I go in for an Upper GI and that's when the dr. said I have severe acid reflux.

She then gave me a prescription for Nexium. So I started taking it yesterday and today I wake up burping and feeling even more nauseous. So I'm just curious of a few things.

1. How long does it usually take for Nexium to start working.

2. For awhile, I was drinking Ginger Tea to help with nausea and seem to help. Is it OK to start drinking it again? I'm just afraid of hiding symptoms.

3. What else can I do? I'm in pretty good shape. I'm 6'2, 185, I run/walk two miles every night. Anything else?

I'm trying to eat better and avoid trigger foods. Here's an example of what I eat. Is there anything I should take out?

Whole-grain waffle with peanut butter.
banana
apple
peanut butter and honey sandwich
peanuts or almonds
yogurt
dinner varies

Any advice is much appreciated. I haven't really felt good in 2 months and am tired of this. I always prefer natural remedies to "drugs" but I didn't want the acid to damage anything. Thanks!

Old 07-25-2012, 12:13 PM   #2
(male)

Johnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB User
Re: Been diagnosed with severe acid reflux...

Keep a list of foods you eat that seem to add to your reflux and eliminate them. Those foods are somewhat different for all of us so your list may not be helpful. What bothers me may not bother you.

Try sleeping with your torso elevated or at least on your left side.

Like you I am in good shape but suffer with reflux. Don't drink much alcohol, did have to cut out coffee. I have tried much of the natural cures and nothing really worked , that included DGL tablets, cider vinegar , aloe vera juice.

Been taking the PPI's for 3 months now, I am better but certainly not cured of this. Had a endoscopy done , doc says nothing but mild gastritis found. No hernia. The meds do work mostly but I have to be careful of what I eat and watch for stress triggers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2012, 01:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

If the ginger tea helps, drink it. It's pretty harmless and it helps some people.

Your diet sounds pretty good. Still, like Johnah said, triggers vary a lot, so you might have to experiment to see what works. For some people, dairy helps, for others dairy makes it worse.

As far as PPI drugs go, they are basically all the same. Some people find that one works a little better or with fewer side effects than another, but on average they are all equally effective.

Anything else? Elevating the head of your bed, maybe. Prop it up on blocks 6 inches, if you can.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User

I will tell you that a lot of the foods you mentioned in your list are very healthy foods, but definite triggers for heartburn for me. Anything with wheat, bananas, peanut butter and yogurt give me heartburn. Those are all foods that are tough to digest. They may not be triggers for you, but you may want to eat them one at a time and then monitor how much heartburn or symptoms you experience about an hour to two after you eat them. You might be surprised at the results. Everyone's triggers are different, so I can't tell you for sure. But I saw your list and had to cross out a majority of them. Even raw almonds give me heartburn.

Lots of "healthy" foods are heartburn triggers for people with GERD.

I can chew little pieces of ginger after dinner (on a full stomach) to help with digestion, but herbal teas like Ginger and Chamomille also give me terrible heartbun if I drink them on an empty stomach.

For example, I can eat a fresh orange, but cannot drink orange juice. I can eat a fresh tomato but no tomato sauce, Ketchup, etc.

Keep a food diary for a while, and you will be surprised at the triggers you find.

All PPI's are basically the same, but it is also a known fact that certain PPI's are more effective for certain people than others. So the fact that they have a slightly different chemical composition seems to have an impact on how the body metabolizes it.

Rose

Old 07-27-2012, 07:10 PM   #5
(male)

deadendstreet HB User

Thanks so much. I found a recipe book about GERD and such and it had some suggestions on it. I've also cut out a lot of meat. Today is day 3 without meat. I plan on trying chicken tomorrow since it's easier to digest. I've also switched to oraganic milk and will eat it with whole grain cereal I bought. I will monitor the whole-grain thing. The book said it's a good book to eat, but like you said, everyone is different.

But of the foods I've been eating, the book suggested cutting out peanut butter, almonds, yogurt, peanuts, apple, and the waffle. SO pretty much my whole diet...lol.

Thanks for your help. I will try this and see how I feel in a couple of weeks.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:34 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Your diet is foods that are usually fine for me. If I'm having a really bad time, the nuts might be too much fat, but, like we said, triggers are very individual.

Closed Thread