It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2012, 09:33 AM   #1
(male)

joogle HB User
Fish Oil Omega 3 Supplement

I wanted to ask if anyone here is taking any brand of fish oil omega 3 supplement that does not trigger reflux symptoms?

My doctor is advising me to take Omega 3 for my cholestrol levels. I use to take it before and know the fishy burps that come with it.

The only brand i seem to find is on amazon is this:

Kirkland Signature Enteric Coated Fish Oil Omega 3 1200 MG Fish Oil, 684 MG of Omega 3 Fatty Acids, 180 softgels

From what I read Enteric dissolves in the intestines vs. stomach.

Anyone have any other recommendation? Also, I prefer to take one with vegetable gelatin or kosher gelatin. Basically, one without pork/etc.

Thanks

Last edited by joogle; 07-25-2012 at 10:19 AM.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:53 PM   #2
(female)

lagger HB User
Re: Fish Oil Omega 3 Supplement

I believe that my acid reflux all started was when I started Carlson's fish oil back in February. Things progressed slowly along from chest pain, heart burn, to acid rushing up my throat. I "think" it opened up the sphincter and now it won't close and even with meds, diet change, I have acid coming up all the time. I wish I could go back in time and have figured it out instead of poisoning my body for 2 months and not know what was going on.

I went to the GI and he said that it very well could have started from that, that the fish oil is a fat and fat can break it down.

I would look to Omega's in other places like flax seed, eggs.

Just my opinion!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2012, 02:52 AM   #3
(male)

joogle HB User

Thanks for the feedback, that's why I went with kosher fish oil omega 3 capsules with Enteric coating.

Maxi Health Maxi Omega 3 Concentrate

What Enteric does is it does not dissolve in the stomach, it dissolves in the intestines.

"For example, they will not dissolve in the acidic juices of the stomach (pH ~3), but they will in the alkaline (pH 7-9) environment present in the small intestine. "

Old 07-27-2012, 12:53 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB Userrosebloom HB User

Always take all pills with food, never, never on an empty stomach.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:10 AM   #5
(female)

Sinead22 HB User

Joogle, how did it go with the Omega 3 Fish Oil with the enteric coating? Was it ok with your reflux?

I just bought a bottle and didn't realize it could be bad for reflux till I started to look it up now. Thankfully I bought with enteric coating too. I know this is an old thread but hoping to hear from you (and/or anyone else!) on your experience before I start trying it. Thanks!

Old 05-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #6
(female)

lagger HB User

I think since you have had issues with acid reflux, you would know if a brand was affecting you. I did not have any symptoms. Seriously. I had heartburn when I was pregnant with my first child, then about 5 times having that pressure feeling from too big of a meal. I also had taken fish oil in the past with no issues. That's why when I had the symptoms, I just thought they were hormonal changes. It wasn't until I had a yucky taste in my mouth that brought me to the doctor. If I would have known that feeling from day 1 of taking the new fish oil, I truly believe I wouldn't be in the situation I'm in on Nexium and my body reacting to the PPI!!! Sigh....

With that being said: I had a good experience with a brand from my chiropractor, don't remember the brand. They said it's all about where the fish comes from. They said if you burp fish, then it's not a good brand.

The other one I had I bought from Mercola's website and it was Krill oil. I was fine with that too.

I think I've heard Costco is ok?

Reply Reply