It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2012, 06:09 PM   #1
(female)

ILMom HB User
How do I get off omeprazole?

I've been on omeprazole for 10-15+ years. I want to get off! I have tried many times, but when I skip a day, I know it. My doctor said not to go off the meds cold turkey but to skip one day....stay at that dosage for several days and then cut down to every two days, etc... (Basically, to wean off of it.)

What are some NATURAL acid reducers? I really want to eliminate the meds if I can...

Any help?

(My main concern is that my eGFR and creatinine levels are off--kidney function tests)

Last edited by ILMom; 08-12-2012 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Additional Information

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2012, 08:15 PM   #2
(female)

sealbeachluvr HB Usersealbeachluvr HB Usersealbeachluvr HB User
Re: How do I get off omeprazole?

Not one soul on here has listened to me yet and again...I swear by Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar with, "Mother". I do not take any medications to treat my Acid Reflex. I threw mine in the trash and refuse to take them. Look at all the damage it does to your body.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2012, 08:42 PM   #3
(female)

ILMom HB User

Thanks for the quick reply... How much do you take. I seems odd that taking an acid like vinegar would help with stomach acid...

Last edited by ILMom; 08-12-2012 at 08:42 PM.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:17 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Some people find that the vinegar helps. Others find that it makes symptoms worse. If you want, try it once and see what happens. If it hurts, don't do it again.

Weaning off is hard for some folks, and it takes about a month for the body to get used to doing without the PPI, sometimes two months. Don't push too fast, and don't be afraid to use weaker medicines like Zantac or Pepcid or Tums to get through the rebound. Once you get through it, you shouldn't need them anymore. Some discomfort is OK, but you don't want to go cold turkey through severe pain, since that will just irritate your digestive tract more.

Most of all, during the taper you need to be very strict about the "GERD lifestyle." Identify and avoid all your dietary triggers. When you're through the rebound and feeling decent, then you can try indulging a bit. Prop up the head of your bed about 6 inches. Sit or stand up straight during meals and for 2 hours afterwards. Avoid bending over.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
ILMom (08-13-2012)
Old 08-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB User

Weaning off is very hard for some people. I am finding it extremely difficult to get off omeprazole. If you feel it when you miss one day, it may be too painful for you to do the alternate day regime. I do it by reducing the dose in tiny increments, as much as you can bare and reduce slowly to minimize the pain from rebound, but it takes a long long time to get off!

Old 08-14-2012, 12:42 AM   #6
(male)

kiwinz HB User

You could check my last 2 posts (sorry short on time), i have what helped me big time listed there.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:53 AM   #7
(female)

gebbiap HB User
Smile Re: How do I get off omeprazole?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealbeachluvr View Post
Not one soul on here has listened to me yet and again...I swear by Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar with, "Mother". I do not take any medications to treat my Acid Reflex. I threw mine in the trash and refuse to take them. Look at all the damage it does to your body.
I am listening !!! - how much do you take and when do you take it?

Old 05-02-2014, 11:02 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

rainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB User

I have a bottle in my cupboard...but am worried about tooth enamel erosion as we already get that with reflux. Also I take milk kefir, not sure how that sits with the ACV
I am taking Omeprazole every other day

My Doctor actually told me you CAN stop cold turkey as it's a medicine some people take as and when needed

Old 05-02-2014, 02:07 PM   #9
(female)

hayleyBW HB UserhayleyBW HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowsrock View Post
I have a bottle in my cupboard...but am worried about tooth enamel erosion as we already get that with reflux. Also I take milk kefir, not sure how that sits with the ACV

My Doctor actually told me you CAN stop cold turkey as it's a medicine some people take as and when needed
That's interesting because as I understand this the proton pump inhibitors take some time to get fully into your system and work to its maximum benefit and therefore it is a less as needed drug than let's say an H2 blocker which has a more immediate effect.

However, based on what your doctor told you perhaps while it is not working to full effect it does have a good amount of acid blocking (shutting the proton pump to some degree) where you might still get enough effect.

ILMom- perhaps you can try what I have been doing and slowly replace the omeprazole with an H2 blocker such as Ranitidine which doesn't shut off the acid but rather blocks some of it making it a less harmful drug and then slowly over time you might be able to discontinue all the acid blocking medication. Good luck and please let us know how you are doing.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:58 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

rainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB User

Yes, I was under that impression too (that Omeprazole takes time to get into the system to work and is therefore not suitable for occasional use)
But I had been in with her a while so didn't want to get into a full blown discussion

I sometimes think it is hard for those who don't suffer from the ailment to understand how debilitating it is and how scary rebound reflux is

Even though I am trying to come off the drug if I eat anything dodgy on my 'day off the drug' day I have to take it rather than risk an unpleasant night

Old 05-02-2014, 05:21 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

kacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowsrock View Post

What a strange rationale for a doctor to say, that because some people take it as and when that would mean you can stop cold turkey. One does not imply the other.

It can be taken as and when and it will have an effect, but this in no way implies that its safe to stop cold turkey if you have been taking it for longer than as and when.

You may be ok, some people are able to stop cold turkey, and get no rebound, but if you do get rebound, stopping cold turkey will be extremely painful if not impossible.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:02 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

I agree with what you've said

Reply Reply