It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2012, 11:46 AM   #1
(male)

sgtrock HB User
!stxpost Acid Rebound my own stupid fault sick for awhile

In 2009 got hurt overseas and came home for double knee replacement during the rehab gain at least 40bls, stress, use to working out daily, anyway this Feb. had an attack of bad acid reflux late one night couldn't choking, couldn't breath, I panicked, first time and it probably because I had ate a sleeve of cookies and drank a huge glass of milk before lying down duh? My wife was concerned and her mother offered her 40mg Nexium she said that she didn't take them when the doctor prescribed them and I knew two people at the gym said that they were the purple pill and you couldn't get acid if took them...so I started taking them without any research and I knew better! Around April I two separate rounds of allergic reaction to something, with hives...went to my Doctor and he prescribed prednisone and zantac 150 OTC twice a day...I did not tell him I was taking Nexium and I assumed the zantac was for acid, wrong it was for allergies (antihistamine) so I STOPPED Nexium! AND THEN THINGS WENT DOWNHILL!...thought I was dying of cancer..my wife is a cancer survivor five years and I honestly believed that it was my turn in the cancer barrel...thought I was having heart attack, bloated, couldn't breath, couldn't eat, nauseated, just plain felt like dying...after two trips to ER no heart problems, blood work was great. A young female Doctor at the ER ask me if I had ever been diagnosed with GERD/Acid Reflux and I said no and then I told her about the Nexium and then she told me about hyper-secretion acid and that Nexium was PPI and that you can't just stop (all new news to me) This was 4th July on July 8th went back on Nexium at her advice to try stabilize and then tamper off....my Doctor was upset after the news and didn't quit buy in acid rebound, got the proverbial speech about self-diagnosis and internet...scheduled for endoscopy end of the month with Gastroenterologist ... when I went to Gastro for pr-examine didn't buy into hyper-secretion...anyway been back on Nexium 40mg for 5 weeks, a lot protein shakes, eating eggs, grits, granola bars, almond milk, activia has really helped, green apples, lemon juice, was using zantac 150, then zantac 75, have stopped these taking pepcid 20 and down to 10...I have lost my appetite and have lost 60lbs since April down to 245lbs but have always been into weights and running...ran yesterday but just exhausted today...trying to fight anxiety and depression...have taken some xanax but I hate taking medicine...I guess my question is do you think I am still suffering from acid rebound and long will it take to stabilize and I know I have been rambling but I am not a talker and I have always handled some serious high stress situations..I have been reading the board messages and sometime I go hey I am doing K just keep moving forward but this has been absolute excruciating and the bad days just knock me back for awhile...thanks for listening

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2012, 12:41 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

kacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB User
Re: !stxpost Acid Rebound my own stupid fault sick for awhile

Hi, sorry you are suffering so bad, the rebound is excrutiating. I would swap it for any other pain, given the choice. I have wanted to die when it was at its worst. It can take a while for the rebound to settle down. Most people say about 2 months, but it can be up to 6 months. It took about 3 months for my excrutiating phase to die down and now I am trying to get off it slowly. If you have bad rebound then taper off slowly to minimize the pain and other side effects. Its hell, but I hold onto the hope that there will be an end to it.
Hang in there.
By the way I felt extremely depressed when I took 40mg Omeprazole and it lifted, almost instantly when I reduced down to 20mg. I still don't feel normal, but not like I did, where I didn't feel part of the world.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Rebound is real. It only happens to about half of people, but for some it's dreadful.

For some reason, many American gastroenterologists have chosen to ignore several placebo-controlled double-blinded studies published in leading journals in Norway and Japan, and to dismiss as crazy all the patients who report the phenomenon. (Of course, it also took decades for them to believe that H. Pylori was real.)

Expect it to take about 2 months off Nexium to completely get your acid secretion levels back to normal.

Losing weight will help a lot. Quite a lot of people with reflux report that it improved drastically or cleared up entirely after returning to a healthy weight.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:47 AM   #4
(male)

sgtrock HB User

Thanks M. JaneWhite1, I was having a tough day yesterday...I called my Doctor and had a late visit...he is a good man been my Doc for twenty years and he seems to buying into the acid rebound...we went over my CT, X-Rays, blood-work etc. and everything is looks fine..stills want an endoscopy which is scheduled end of month and he wants me tested for H. pylori...he had done some research on acid rebound and he told me basically what you just said...always considered myself a very strong individual but this has been a Real Soul Searching experience.....Thank You

Old 08-16-2012, 04:54 AM   #5
(male)

sgtrock HB User

Thanks Kacyc....I have been in some kinda pickle barrels in my life and I patted myself on the back for a job well done under extreme conditions but this has definitely humbled me..I do appreciate the response....this is definitely new to me to be asking for help...I pray you recover soon and better then ever...P.S. saw your response last night but couldn't get on the site..keep informing me that I was blocked from the site..anyway thank you! I am better today and you are right I got to get a handle on the mental part...

Old 08-17-2012, 05:07 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

kacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB User

Hi sg, I am also a strong person, and nothing has ever affected me like this has, so don't think you are being weak because this has got to you, or because you ask for help. Just coming on here and reading that you are not alone is helpful I find.

I have better days now, but I reduce very very slowly, about 1/2 - 1mg a month. It helps that way with the pain, but it means it will take a long time. I get tempted to just stop taking it, but having gone through the rebound of reducing from 40mg down to 20mg (before I understood rebound) I just don't think I can go through that again. It is a pain that I believe only those who have experienced it can understand. Infact 'pain' is not even an appropriate word as it is an experience for which nothing else I have experienced compares. People tell me I am wrong, that others suffer, and of course they do, but I can think of no pain worse than your insdies being burnt alive by raging acid that you simply cannot control.

It does calm down, and I hope that it is a fast process for you to get back to normal. Have the tests if you choose to though they will probably find nothing. The endoscopy may irritate the osophagus if it is already inflammed so you may want to think about postponing that and give the rebound a chance to rebalance... you may find you don't even need it. They want to do acid tests on me and I am refusing as I KNOW I have hyperacidity and a test will not prove the cause anyway, and anyway the treatment would be more proton pump inhibitors!!

Old 08-17-2012, 05:40 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Genuine acid hypersecretion that isn't caused by PPIs is actually quite rare. See, having acid in your stomach is normal, it's not a disease state. The disease of acid reflux usually occurs when the stomach acid keeps winding up in the esophagus instead of staying in the stomach where it belongs.

And yes, it can hurt a lot. The first time I tried to quit, I did it cold turkey because it was 2006 and absolutely no one in the US was even talking about rebound yet. Took about 48 hours after the last pill for the rebound to hit, and when it did...

It wasn't the worst pain I've ever felt, but it was the worst pain I've ever felt that lasted more than a few minutes. This was 8 solid hours. Obviously, I went back on, had no choice.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:39 AM   #8
(male)

Gonzoe HB UserGonzoe HB User

Reboundd is in n off too after first month i felt gettimg better than 2 weeks later bad again

Old 08-17-2012, 06:43 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
Genuine acid hypersecretion that isn't caused by PPIs is actually quite rare. See, having acid in your stomach is normal, it's not a disease state. The disease of acid reflux usually occurs when the stomach acid keeps winding up in the esophagus instead of staying in the stomach where it belongs.

And yes, it can hurt a lot. The first time I tried to quit, I did it cold turkey because it was 2006 and absolutely no one in the US was even talking about rebound yet. Took about 48 hours after the last pill for the rebound to hit, and when it did...

It wasn't the worst pain I've ever felt, but it was the worst pain I've ever felt that lasted more than a few minutes. This was 8 solid hours. Obviously, I went back on, had no choice.
Sorry, thats what I meant, that I have hyperacidity because of coming off ppis, not that I think I have an underlying condition where the body produces too much acid. I've only had it since trying to come off ppis and is directly related to how much i reduce by each time.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:45 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzoe View Post
Reboundd is in n off too after first month i felt gettimg better than 2 weeks later bad again
Rebound does seem to go like that. I think it takes months for the body to fully readjust. Every bad day you have is a day closer to getting better though!

Old 08-17-2012, 07:49 AM   #11
(male)

Johnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB User

Jane when you have tapered off PPI's in the past what kind of schedule did you use?

Just wondering about your experience, did you supplement with H2's and acid controls like Tums etc or does that in your experience just extend it.

About ready to try getting off and wondering how to handle it.

Odd thing I find with the PPI's is they seem to help settle my issue down but did not really control the acid leaking back up into the esophagus (which I can feel thru lung irritation) while adding a H2 to the mix really controls it pretty much 100%.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:57 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

I have quit twice in the past. The first time I did an easy taper. I was on 40 mg of Prilosec, so I cut it down to 20 and supplemented with Zantac 75 four times per day, then over about 2 months I reduced the Zantac. Then when I was OK on 20 mg of Prilosec and no Zantac, I cut out all the Prilosec and did only Zantac. It took about 5 months to be totally drug free and rebound free, but I didn't suffer much during the process.

The next year, had a bad flareup which messed with my breathing. Wound up eventually going back on Prilosec. Then, I had to come off it for two weeks for testing, cold turkey. It was awful. I only used Gaviscon plus super-limited diet. Then the hospital postponed my test! By the time the test was over, it had been 3.5 weeks since I'd had Prilosec, so I decided to finish the taper. By the 1 month point, I was feeling a lot better.

I had to go back on for the surgery. Since I also have gastritis, my doctor wanted to prevent any issues during recovery. I plan to taper again at some point, but right now I'm really enjoying health, energy and being properly nourished.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
Johnah (08-17-2012)
Old 08-17-2012, 07:59 AM   #13
(male)

sgtrock HB User

Thanks for the response I really do appreciate it...I guess it does help to share and I am trying to share...I just got to get past that this is my own stupid doing for not researching and I know I should have (hine-sight)....thing that bothers me is that I have just lost my appetite or as the Doctor said I am choosing not to eat for fear of extreme discomfort... I force myself to eat eggs and baked chicken but myself mostly consuming yogurt(activia), granny apples, pop-corn...getting ready to try home made vegetable soup with shredded beef hope it goes well...has anyone had trouble with appetite and if so what did you do?

Old 08-17-2012, 08:24 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

Yes, when I was really bad I couldn't eat proper food. I mostly had vegetable soup made with anti-inflammatory veg such as butternut squash, courgette, carrots, cabbage etc. Now I have progressed onto a more varied diet, but only stick to soft foods.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:39 AM   #15
(male)

sgtrock HB User

Thanks u Mame (M. Kacyc) I love cabbage and carrots never been a squash fan made me eat it in 1st grade over fifty years ago...it is a start..do feel better today than yesterday and I was putting good days in a row couple of weeks ago..then it started again....I actually ran 5miles and was feeling great two weekends ago and thought I was coming out of this and Monday I could barely get 2miles and was exhausted for two days with just stomach burning unreal...anyway I am rambling I do appreciate the advice hope you are having a good days

Reply Reply