It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2012, 07:25 AM   #1
(male)

Doji HB User
Drinking Water with Acid Reflux

My doctor told me I have acid reflux and put me on Nexium once a day. I take the Nexium around 5:00 pm and eat supper around 6:00 pm so there is plenty of time before I go to bed. My question is this : Does anyone know if drinking water after supper and before bedtime would ease my acid reflux or make it worse. I was thinking maybe the water would dilute the stomach acids to where
they wouldn't do much damage. Or would the water just make the acid stay in your stomach longer and give it more time to do damage ?

Old 08-19-2012, 07:52 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Drinking Water with Acid Reflux

I personally find that water has no effect on my reflux one way or another, and many folks agree, although some people report that it either helps or makes it worse.

I would think that as long as we're talking about one glass, rather than stuffing your stomach with two liters, it shouldn't make much difference when you drink it. Drink if you're thirsty.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2012, 08:29 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi,
A good reply from jane and I agree with what she says.
Water or herbal-tea has no adverse effect on me. The only thing I avoid is Alcohol and for me it's a no-no as I have had ulcers.
I also avoid carbonated drinks they give me terrible hiccups but that could be to do with my Hiatal-Hernia.

Solofelix.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:34 AM   #4
(female)

tampopo HB User

Do not drink too much water at one time. Half glass water each time.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:00 AM   #5
(female)

KitKat880 HB UserKitKat880 HB User

Do you suffer from nighttime reflux? If not, I would think the water would be okay. I agree with the other posts that you shouldn't drink too much. Water makes me burp (as does just about everything I eat or drink), but I often have an 8 oz glass before bed and it doesn't seem to cause any problems. That said, I do not have nighttime reflux.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:00 AM   #6
(male)

Doji HB User

Thanks for the reply KitKat. I have LPR or silent reflux so I'm not sure if I have nighttime reflux. I've never felt any heartburn so I'm not sure when I have the reflux. Since I'm standing or sitting upright all day I'm assuming it must be nighttime reflux. My doctor said I have esophagitis and gastritis caused by acid reflux.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:14 AM   #7
(female)

KitKat880 HB UserKitKat880 HB User

I've read that most people with LPR or silent reflux tend to have it during the day rather than at night. I don't experience heartburn either, so it's a little hard to tell when I have the reflux (and hard to stay away from triggers). The reason I doubt I have relfux at night is because it does not wake me up, and I know a lot of people with nighttime reflux complain of being unable to sleep through the night.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:37 AM   #8
(male)

Doji HB User

How would I have acid reflux during the day if I'm standing or sitting upright all day ? Is it done when I'm doing physical activities like cutting grass or exercising. I did notice the other day the middle of my chest felt tight and had a very slight burn when I cut grass as soon as I finished supper. Maybe that was reflux. Do you think I should wait a couple hours after I eat before I do physical activities. Like you, I've never been awakened at night by reflux.

Reply Reply