It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2012, 01:47 PM   #31
(male)

Gonzoe HB UserGonzoe HB User
Re: Taking a giant leap of faith going off of PPI's!

I hope this isn't true bc that nexium screwed up my life and it was the guy at pharmasave reccommended it

Old 08-31-2012, 02:32 PM   #32
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Hmm. Maybe the guy at pharmasave was mistaken, and what you bought wasn't Nexium at all. Getting rebound bad enough to burn the esophagus from one dose... That just isn't how PPIs work.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2012, 02:45 PM   #33
(male)

Johnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB User

I suspect what you thought you were buying wasn't Nexium at all. He may have given you a H2 like Pepcid or something as they come in a pinkish colored pill but they only work for a few hours. The over the counter one's are limited in strength as well. Unless you had a prescription for Pepcid it is likely you got a over the counter med, they are cheaper. I don't believe you can buy PPI's over the counter in Canada yet.

Last edited by Johnah; 09-06-2012 at 06:37 AM.

Old 08-31-2012, 03:15 PM   #34
(male)

Label looks legit it says apo-esomeprazole 40mg. Doesn't say nexium as that I'd a brand name, has apo stamped on the tablet, hopefully it was time released like the capsule. Oh ya label also says esomeprazole magneisum trihydrate 40mg. I also started accupuncture that made me super relaxed don't know if the combo of starting meds and being relaxed gave me anxiety and over acidity but what got me was during sleep. Slept elevated approx 6 inch but I guess acid leak so bad it travelled up n burnt me and woke me

Old 09-06-2012, 01:57 AM   #35
(male)

Tribulation HB User

MountainReader, how did they discover that your reflux was coming up in a gaseous form and irritating your lungs? I just wonder because I get breathing issues all the time too, sometimes so bad that I wonder if I'll make it through the day/night.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:42 AM   #36
(male)

Johnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB User

That's the generic version of Nexium. Didn't realize it was available in Canada yet. Last time I had a prescription of it it was 2010 though. Didn't think it came off patent here until 2013.
As Jane points out the PPI likely wouldn't cause your issue. Might be just a coincidence that you had a bad night of reflux after taking the pill. Certainly reflux can do all the things you described with burning your throat but not likely the pill itself. Obviously you were already having issues or they wouldn't prescribe a PPI.
Reality with PPI's is the first day you take a pill not much happens as far as relief, takes a few days to kick in.
Did by chance when you have the acupuncture done that day did you lay flat while it was done. That would certainly give the acid a chance to back up into your throat.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:30 AM   #37
(male)

Throat wasn't the problem. Whole esophagus got burnt at night bc more than usual acid flow and I slept aliviated plus at accupuncture too although not as high I woke up middle night burning severely where it was spasming and throbbing it was as if I drank whole bottle of acid. Afterwards I slept upright. After this night I hve a stricture. Now I'm taking Zantac after two months it settling but I would have 2 good days n 1 bad day hopefully gets better or back to before. Before I might wake up do to acid leakage but it was minor pain and I can go back sleep. This one was do bad it immediately swelled up. I really don't know why it happened but I did take plus before for a bit raberzole and it was fine until I stopped it gave me chronic heartburn whereas before my symptoms where throat clearing. After wards I settled t with diet change an Santa for few months. I took ppi again bc my doc thinks people with gerd should be on it do there is zero backsplash. So that's why I took his nexium prescription but he said if I needed it but I can take Zantac everyday. Idiot I am I tried nexium. I'm guessing it might be I have low acid and ppi makes it out of wack bc I never had heartburn in my life. Btw the clearing throat n leakage started from excessive coughing one day whih probably caused me the hernia do it happened after one day I'm not really sure how you people got gerd? Mine I can attribute it excessive cough I get this pain upper abd when it happens and only did it twice past 4 years and each time goth got gerd symptom the second one gave me side cramps first one throat clearing but those were only symptoms

Old 09-06-2012, 09:38 AM   #38
(male)

I try not think about it bc inget depressed bc what kind moron doesnt chew properly or takes too much food at time whereby get something irritate or stuck in throat so coughing like crazy to get it out, as result get reflux. I'm such an idiot give my self gerd, it's bc not used have something stuck throat so I panicked, plus now I'm an idiot popp nexium without trying Zantac first to see if side cramps ago away after second cough b really I rather have occasional side cramps than eating liquids n burning pain everyday allday, and used to have breathing prolems the first week rebounded. Don't know how everyone goes through this I'm like hanging by the thread here lol. 2 months

Last edited by Administrator; 09-06-2012 at 01:10 PM.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:20 PM   #39
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribulation View Post
MountainReader, how did they discover that your reflux was coming up in a gaseous form and irritating your lungs? I just wonder because I get breathing issues all the time too, sometimes so bad that I wonder if I'll make it through the day/night.
I already knew I had acid reflux issues and a loose LES from regular 24 hr pH tests and Manometries.

I developed a continually irritated throat and severe breathing problems. My ENT had me do another pH test. This test was very new at the time and his office was one of the first to get it in. It should be more available by now. It is an upper 24 hr pH test by ResTech. Upper probes are in the throat above the upper esophageal sphincter. This probe differs from ordinary pH probes in that it is specially designed to measure acid reflux in its gaseous form. Normal pH probes aren't that sensitive. The results were extremely surprising. I actually felt good on the day I had the test and the results showed extremely severe reflux with tons of extended periods of refluxing way beyond anything normal. What really surprised me was that I was on high dose PPI's at the time, literally. With the prior tests, I knew I had bad GERD. My ENT wanted to see how well the PPI's were actually working for me in dealing with my LPR since I was really trying to find a solution for my breathing problems. I can't imagine what my results would have been off the PPI's at the time.

Anyway, you should check around to see who might do the upper ResTech pH tests in your area.

Also, I found the esophagram and modified barium swallow to be very helpful as well. The esophagram actually showed the acid coming up to irritate/aspirate tmy lungs and throat. Those tests are done chewing and drinking various thicknesses of Barium while they watch a live video x-ray.

In all fairness, I actually got my LPR under control for about 5 years before it became out of control and I really developed the life-threatening acid reflux issues.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:39 PM   #40
(male)

What I meant by "hanging by a thread" as in Iv'e trying to hold of on taking PPi's again. Most likely I will hoping after 3 months It stops, I just started 3rd month. Right now I only have severe pain after breakfast and lasts half a day. Weird, later it's fine.

What do you mean life threatening symptoms? I didn't know Gerd can do that? I had difficulty swallowing but you can eat liquids etc. Even now I eat slowly and still get food stuck and have a squishing sound when i swallow.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #41
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

It can be a struggle dealing with acid reflux at times. There is no magic cure. We do the best we can to control the symptoms. While PPI's aren't the answer for everyone, they do become necessary for some. It is a balancing act for when we need to rely on the PPI's vs. just making the lifestyle changes and plugging through.

You asked why I said "lifethreatening" reflux issues. I had developed an unusually severe case of acid reflux. (Confirmed through multiple tests.) Mine was the "silent" type since I didn't have any heartburn type symptoms. I had a chronic cough, throat issues and uncontrollable asthma. While my throat issues were severe and chronic, they weren't my most pressing issue. I had acid irritating my lungs and at times I was aspirating the acid which triggered my asthma. I had to find ways to control my asthma as well as my reflux at the same time. For a long time, even extremely aggressive asthma and reflux treatments combined weren't doing much and at one point, I ended up with an asthma attack so bad that I needed emergency treatment. That was actually my tipping point for my decision to seek out surgery. My Pulmonologist actually told me a few months ago that he didn't think he was going to be able to pull me through this when he first started treating me since my problems were so incredibly bad and I had multiple health issues compounding each other. That said, my issues were atypically severe and most people aren't faced with that.

I can relate to all of the feelings you have faced. I was worn down both physically, emotionally and mentally for years. Just know that you can get through it. It just takes trial and error and time to figure things out much of hte time. While my treatment choices were more aggressive, I was finally able to find my balance. I've gone from 12 daily medications to 2 since my reflux was at it's worst in 2008. I stayed on my Dexilant 60mg throughout since it did help me achieve that balance. That is why taking that "leap of faith" to try to wean off of it is such a big deal for me. I want to continue to try to get my body into an even healthier state.

I hope you are able to find a balance too. Keep going a day at a time and stay vigilent. My Pulmonologist said that my diligence and aggressiveness in my own treatment was what actually saved my life. I didn't give up.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:51 PM   #42
Facilitator
(female)

Update: It has been about 3 weeks since I went off of the Dexilant. I had no reflux symptoms during the first week and a half. Over this last week, I've had some mild throat irritation. That goes right along with my frequency of gaseous acid that comes up above my UES. It is a classic issue for me. I'm upping my Zantac to twice a day to see if it will help. I really want to give this a good try before just going back to the PPI's. I don't want to let it go long enough with symptoms that I end up with breathing problems though.

Anyway, so far, I'm hopeful that I can make this work still.

Last edited by MountainReader; 09-17-2012 at 08:50 PM. Reason: typo

The following user gives a hug of support to MountainReader:
janewhite1 (09-18-2012)
Old 09-17-2012, 08:45 PM   #43
(male)

That's very good week and half my chronic acid burn stopped after 2.5 months on Zantac so I'm just waiting to heal I'm glad you didn't get any rebound. Gives me hope if i end up takig dexilant to heal.

The following user gives a hug of support to Gonzoe:
MountainReader (09-17-2012)
Old 09-18-2012, 10:10 AM   #44
(female)

Neurofuzzy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainReader View Post
I already knew I had acid reflux issues and a loose LES from regular 24 hr pH tests and Manometries.

I developed a continually irritated throat and severe breathing problems. My ENT had me do another pH test. This test was very new at the time and his office was one of the first to get it in. It should be more available by now. It is an upper 24 hr pH test by ResTech. Upper probes are in the throat above the upper esophageal sphincter. This probe differs from ordinary pH probes in that it is specially designed to measure acid reflux in its gaseous form. Normal pH probes aren't that sensitive. The results were extremely surprising. I actually felt good on the day I had the test and the results showed extremely severe reflux with tons of extended periods of refluxing way beyond anything normal. What really surprised me was that I was on high dose PPI's at the time, literally. With the prior tests, I knew I had bad GERD. My ENT wanted to see how well the PPI's were actually working for me in dealing with my LPR since I was really trying to find a solution for my breathing problems. I can't imagine what my results would have been off the PPI's at the time.

Anyway, you should check around to see who might do the upper ResTech pH tests in your area.

Also, I found the esophagram and modified barium swallow to be very helpful as well. The esophagram actually showed the acid coming up to irritate/aspirate tmy lungs and throat. Those tests are done chewing and drinking various thicknesses of Barium while they watch a live video x-ray.

In all fairness, I actually got my LPR under control for about 5 years before it became out of control and I really developed the life-threatening acid reflux issues.
Hello Mountain Reader
Can you please describe how the ResTech pH probe works? Do you wear it for 24 hours and it sits only in your throat above the UES? Does it make it difficult to eat? I'm suffering from strange throat pains with swallowing, and foreign body sensations after swallowing a bone. I was on Prevacid for two weeks in case LPR was hindering with the healing, but it's been a month and I still have residual symptoms. Would like to confirm/ deny LPR with the ResTech pH probe. Flexible laryngoscopy doesn't show any physical changes consistent with LPR. Thank you for your input.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:52 AM   #45
(male)

what use is a ph test? I thought acid leakage was due to lower sphincter not closing. so it doesn't matter if you have low or high acid? it will get to your throat if you lie down?

Reply Reply