It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2012, 04:27 PM   #1
(male)

Stockster HB UserStockster HB User
More questions on Nissen fund

Hi all, me again.... Just trying to deal with my cronic GERD and what my next steps are. To recap, I have constant reflux, ppi at 40 mgs twice daily. The acid level varies, but the LES is really weak. I barley drink alcohol anymore and when I do I stick to a vodka water to make sure I don't have anything carbonated. Any carbonation and I burp profusely and I'm getting sick of it. I sleep on a 4 inch incline and often wake up with tightness in the chest and all that. Inhave a ph test scheduled for December as I live in Canada and the waits are rediculous. I have a confirmed small hiatal hernia and am trying to deal.

K. Here's my question. For those of you who have had the surgery... What was the deciding factor that made u go through it? I know Mountain Readers story, but I want to hear from others. I always have Esophogile tightness that lingers around the collarbone area and often in my lungs

The burping i have is rediculous!!! I cant even sleep on my left side as this causes the LES to open on me.

Just concerned about what damage I'm doing to my esophagus .... I know it takes time to develop barrett's, but I dont want to risk it.

I find most people on this forum don't have the 'spontaneous acid reflux' like I do as per my barium swallow test, and those who do have taken all steps to 'control' it. But for me, I WANT to have an occasional beer with my friends. I need to socialize in my job and this occasionally includes drink red wine. Not to get wasted, but just to enjoy a few drinks without always worrying about the repercussions.

So i guess not only am I asking what the final call was on getting the surgery, buts also if, after healing, I can enjoy the things a normal person can enjoy again.

Argh... I'm just down today cuz I didn't sleep well as I was burping all night.... This really sucks. For all of us!

Thanks everyone!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2012, 06:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: More questions on Nissen fund

I had 2 "deciding moments," both in medical offices.

The first was when my allergist said, "There's nothing more that I can do for your lungs. If you want to breathe comfortably, control your reflux." Since I'd already tried everything else, I told the GI doctor that I was ready to consider Nissen and asked for referral to a surgeon.

I saw the surgeon, and he believed I was a good candidate. Before I completely made up my mind, though, I saw my family practitioner one more time. We discussed all the different medicines I'd taken to try to control it, and what I did lifestyle-wise. I told her things like, "I eat a small bowl of cereal with skim milk for breakfast, then I have 2-3 hours of symptoms."

That's when I realized how bad things had gotten. When my doctor agreed, I knew it was time.

How normal am I? Better than before.

My reflux is nearly gone, throat way better, my lungs are fantastic, but I had gastritis before the surgery, and it's still there. I can't have tomatoes, but I can have a little wine now and then. Anyway, I've been able to eat enough to steadily gain weight since I first recovered from the surgery. I'm now back to my ideal weight.

You won't be able to have any carbonation during your recovery period, a couple months or so. But after? Probably. (Personally, I just plain don't like carbonated beverages, never did!)

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
Stockster (08-28-2012)
Reply Reply