It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 04:44 PM   #16
Veteran
(female)

kacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB User
Re: For those that have successfully gotten off ppi's and had rebound

Totally understand not wanting to drag it out... its taken me a year, and I'm only just half off it! But, is it worth trying to speed things up for the sake of another couple of weeks? Can't you cut the 10mg pill in half? Or, as you said, take one every other day, even if you just do that for one week. But, if you felt reasonable when you went down to 10mg and ready to go down to zero do it! Your day has come.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:46 PM   #17
(male)

scot724 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacyc View Post
Totally understand not wanting to drag it out... its taken me a year, and I'm only just half off it! But, is it worth trying to speed things up for the sake of another couple of weeks? Can't you cut the 10mg pill in half? Or, as you said, take one every other day, even if you just do that for one week. But, if you felt reasonable when you went down to 10mg and ready to go down to zero do it! Your day has come.
nope cant cut them in half its delayed release capsules

i posted another question before your recent post if you want to give your opinion on that

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2013, 05:01 PM   #18
Veteran
(female)

kacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB User

Sorry Scot, can't really answer your previous question, as I do it without using ranitidine, as I don't want to end up needing a different drug, just want to be drug free. What do you think is best for you to do?

Old 01-21-2013, 05:03 PM   #19
(male)

scot724 HB User

Quote:
Sorry Scot, can't really answer your previous question, as I do it without using ranitidine, as I don't want to end up needing a different drug, just want to be drug free. What do you think is best for you to do?

i also dont want another drug i figure just to get through the worst of it not be on it indefinitely..its tough with this not knowing how things will be until you do it so its hard to plan

Old 01-22-2013, 08:33 AM   #20
Veteran
(female)

That's what I have found - its impossible to plan. You could always just take ranitidine on the very bad days if you feel you need to. Could you halve your dose again by halving the contents of the capsule? I know you are not meant to, but hey, we are not meant to get addicted to this stuff either!!

Old 01-22-2013, 12:24 PM   #21
Inactive
(male)

Erik7327 HB User

Hi Everyone. I'm new to the GERD section of HealthBoards and was wondering what is the benefit of weening off PPIs? THANKS!

Old 01-22-2013, 12:44 PM   #22
Veteran
(female)

Hi Erik, this may have been better as a new thread, but anyway, the benefit of weaning off PPIs, is that some people find it impossible to stop cold turkey, due to excrutiating acid rebound... plenty of posts about rebound on here!
Weaning off is not easy either, but it is the only way sometimes.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:09 PM   #23
Inactive
(male)

Erik7327 HB User

Thanks Kacyc. Sorry it's not a new thread. What I should have asked: If they are effective, and one can afford them, then why stop taking PPIs at all? Just curious.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:33 PM   #24
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik7327 View Post
Thanks Kacyc. Sorry it's not a new thread. What I should have asked: If they are effective, and one can afford them, then why stop taking PPIs at all? Just curious.
Because many people do not need them, such as myself... only given them to supposedly "protect the stomach" whilst I was taking NSAIDs, never had a reflux problem before taking them, and because they can cause a lot of problems if you are on them for any lengh of time. Cost is the least of my worries - spending a fortune now on natural remedies I never needed before PPIs.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:22 PM   #25
Inactive
(male)

Erik7327 HB User

Ok, got it KacyC. Thank you.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:15 PM   #26
(male)

scot724 HB User

im now on every other day 10mg prilosec pain is increasing i want to try to avoid zantac.. any ideas for safe snacks during this period also dinners right now im eating the same dinner every night baked chicken breasts with brown rice

right now ive been eating rice cakes and sometimes sesame breadsticks im sure the rice cakes are fine not sure about the breadsticks but i would like other options better options for lunches as well i feel like everything is going to hurt so need what will hurt the least

Last edited by scot724; 01-31-2013 at 02:36 PM.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:17 PM   #27
(male)

scot724 HB User

also i have a problem i want to take digestive enzymes but the brand i use seems to constipate me for some reason

i know its that cause i stopped taking it and im fine again

i was taking source naturals essential enzymes

Old 02-08-2013, 10:01 AM   #28
Veteran
(female)

Scot, hows it going? how much prilosec were you on before you started cutting down?

Old 02-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #29
(male)

scot724 HB User

Quote:
Scot, hows it going? how much prilosec were you on before you started cutting down?

i was on 20mg for the most part then for a short period of time before this process was on 40mg

right now im def in more pain but nothing i cant deal with yet

my chest pain is bad though i assume from the hernia right now

im on 10mg every 2 days right now and in a few days going to every 3 days then going to do nothing

im have 16 to 20 oz of vegetable juice i make everyday that seems to be helping ease symptoms

and right now still eating the same thing everyday for dinner just plain chicken cutlets with steamed vegetables and snacks are sesame breadsticks and rice cakes

Old 02-08-2013, 12:07 PM   #30
Veteran
(female)

Is the rebound pain as bad now going from 10mg to 10mg every other day, as it was when you went down from 40mg to 20mg or from 20mg to 10mg? what was the worst period for you?

Reply Reply