It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2012, 12:03 PM   #1
(male)

scot724 HB User
For those that have successfully gotten off ppi's and had rebound

So im looking to try to get of the ppiís again I tried earlier this year but failed mainly because I gave up cause I was going on vacation and didnít want the rebound to ruin my trip

So im seeing a new gi now and hes on board with getting me off the medicine thinking since its not fully helping me it might be doing more harm then good

So basically im posting for those that have gone through rebound what kind of schedule did you do

What did you take while weaning off, how long was the process and how long till you felt normal again

And the big question during the bad days and weeks what did you eat

Ive been on some form of ppi for 5 and half years so I know its going to be miserable and im very scared to do it

I have tons of natural stuff thatís always suggested but usually doesnít help with big attacks

So any advice is greatly appreciated

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2012, 02:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB User
Re: For those that have successfully gotten off ppi's and had rebound

Hi Scot, I totally understand your fear about getting off the ppi's and how to get through it. I wish I could answer more directly as someone who has successfully got off them, but I am currently going through the process and I am successfully getting off them, so I will share with you my own experience.

At first I halved my dose (of Omeprazole) from 40mg to 20mg, as is often recommended. I was ok for about 4 weeks and then the rebound set in and I thought I was going to die. I ended up increasing my dose slightly, not knowing at that stage that the body does eventually correct the imbalance that ppi's cause. It took about 3 months of horrendous pain before I felt ok, and to be honest nothing really touched the pain when it was that bad.

I am too afraid to go through that degree of pain again and have therefore avoided the big jump method. Albeit I may have been off them by now! What I am now doing is reducing in tiny increments, literally about 1mg a month. That way, I have not avoided the rebound, but I have managed to keep it from reaching the horrific level it got to when I first jumped down to 20mg. You can find your own level by doing it slowly to begin with and increasing more next time if you were ok with the first reduction.

I do have pain, and it varies in degree. When it is very bad still nothing really helps, but when it is mild to moderate many of the alterative remedies do help. The things you already have mentioned in other posts such as DGL and slippery elm help if you stick at them. There is also something called silicogel which coats the oesophagus and seems to absorb some of the excess acid. Gaviscon occasionally helps, but again if you have terrible rebound, it isn't enough and if the oesophagus is inflammed it stings.

Good luck and take it slowly, you can always reduce more as you go along.

One day I hope to be able to post that I have successfully got off the ppis, but what I am doing does seem to be working. And I hope you too will be able to let us all know you have got off them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2012, 07:05 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I'm not a fan of going "cold turkey" through severe pain. This isn't like a headache from caffeine withdrawl, severe rebound can actually injure the lining of the stomach or esophagus, further delaying your recovery.

If you are on a dosage above 20 mg per day, it might help to taper. I took Zantac every day during my rebound, and it did help.

When I'm in particularly bad shape, I tend to rely on white starches and egg whites. This works great for some people, but others find that starches are triggers, and do better with plain steamed veggies.

Old 09-07-2012, 04:40 PM   #4
(male)

scot724 HB User

ive seen alot of people swear by vitamin d/d3 and calcium supplments..anyone have any help from it and what dosages should i look for..i dont want it to cause bathroom issues

Old 09-24-2012, 04:30 PM   #5
(male)

scot724 HB User

so im going to be starting to get off the ppi in the beginning of oct. me and my dr decided that

i bought a juicer and to start juicing fresh vegetables and fruits i figure this might help me through the weaning off process

well i decided to try it out today and i made a 9-10oz drink of 2 carrots and 2 celery stalks

problem was i had slight burning in my throat very slight but after finishing i had pretty decent burning in my stomach

any ideas why that may be?

Old 09-25-2012, 10:33 AM   #6
(male)

Johnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB User

Not sure what D3 would do for acid rebound, calcium supplements in the form of Tums etc would certainly help.

I was tested just recently for vit D amongst other things for an annual check up and my levels are very high (137) while 80 is considered optimum and it hasn't helped my reflux that I'm aware of. If you were extremely low maybe it would help but you would need to be tested to see where your baseline is.

Last edited by Johnah; 09-25-2012 at 10:35 AM.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:30 AM   #7
(female)

ksc1968 HB Userksc1968 HB User

Hi, ive been successfully weening of my 15 year prevacid habit. I started in Early June by taking away 1/4 of my medicine every 2 weeks, and Im down to my last week. I took 2 pills a day so I was taking 12 1/2% away at a time. Now than Im down to 1/4 pill I feel some rebound so my dr had me start Pepcid 20mg an hour before bedtime.
The key was for me not to do another reduction unless I felt ok. There were a couple of times where I didnt step down after 2 weeks, I waited 3. I was very methodical about this.. I have failed 3 times before by going too fast. I have been very successfull so far and am hopeful I might be able to get through this!
Ask me in a month how Im doing because by then I will be completely off everything, even the pepcid.
The pepcid is very helpful. I didnt need it until a few days ago but Im at the end so the rebound is starting (mildly).
I was pretty meticulous about my diet, only drank water. Im a very clean eater in general so this has really helped me. I also have taken DGL licorice three times a day and recently started digest gold digestive enzymes wtih every meal and that is a huge help (im a slow digester). Try the enzymes and DGL...they cant hurt to try.
Good luck and you can do this! It is possible! I even did mine over 2 vacations!

Old 10-04-2012, 04:48 PM   #8
(male)

scot724 HB User

what have people that have gotten off of the meds that had bad rebound eat during the bad moments

like i would eat grilled chicken but having it plain will probably make me nauseous

and what kind of snacks?

Old 10-04-2012, 05:25 PM   #9
(female)

ksc1968 HB Userksc1968 HB User

scot724...
I eat lower carb things. Too many carbs kills me. I eat plain chicken, turkey burgers, filet, salmon, , green vegetables, sweet potatoes, 1/4 cup brown rice, lots of salads, fruits, almonds, fruit smoothies daily, egg salad with just a little mustard to mix (no mayo), lots of egg white omletes with chicken apple sausage or turkey bacon and spinach inside. Its really easy to eat well if you eat from home. I cant eat dairy, but if you can string cheese is good with an apple,low fat cottage cheese with canned pineapple, fruit salads are excellent. The best thing is to take digestive enzymes...good ones like digest gold. They are awesome and really help!

Old 10-04-2012, 11:30 PM   #10
(female)

Gugulimo HB UserGugulimo HB UserGugulimo HB UserGugulimo HB User

Hi Scot, I am a ibs/gastritis sufferer. I too wish I could answer as someone who has got off ppi's completely but I'm still tailing it off. I will however tell you what went 'right' for me so far. I was put on 80mg Nexium (Nexpro brand) and no the 7th week though my initial symptoms were so very severe (including even heart rate changes, breathing difficulties, pains, nausea, severe diarrhea, bloating, gas, acid reflux, headaches, chest aches, sore throats....all of it!), the stomach actually settled down. It might be my diet because the doctor thought I needed meds for like 14 weeks instead. This was just half way when only bloating was what was left. I started tailing off the Nexium 1 week ago. Now, it might be different for me because I've only been on it 7 weeks unlike your case which is a lot longer. But nevertheless, when I went from 80 mg to 60 mg nothing happened much apart from a chest pain or two. I reduced further after 2 days (this was too soon I found out later!!!). Went from 60 mg down to 40 mg and boooooom! I started having chest pains. BAD ones until ever before. Bloating was severe again more than I ever had. Diarrhea. Nausea. Burning in the stomach. Cramping pains. Mild breathlessness. I hung on and started on a antiacid (Tums). When ever I get that 'my stomach is emptying' feeling, I read this as a 'acid is building' sign and take tums. It worked. Second day my symptoms lessened. Yesterday even less. Today no episode still. This is a week's progress that I'm describing to you.

My diet has been rice (well boiled), vegetables cooked in coconut milk, honey with popped rice in between meals (this absorbs acids but please don't take honey if you have asthma), re-hydration salts (these minimize the damage to the stomach lining) and bananas in between meals. This has helped me. Coconut milk 'cools' the stomach and neutralizes the acidity. If you like Thai food (without all the hot spices), you'll be a fan of this :-) If you can, you might want to try this one. Boil a handful of rice with more water than needed to the point the water turns slightly whitish. If you keep adding water and allowing it to boil (say over 1/2 hr to 45 mins) this will happen. Add to this a thick spoon of coconut milk and stir very well. Add salt to taste and once cooled down, add enough water to control the thickness to a drinkable level and blender it. Drink this...it is tasty and it calms down the stomach a whole lot. Please don't take it on an empty stomach. It is TOO cooling which might aggravate phlem. I know of people who survived on this when they've had bad acidity issues. I'm living on it as well and it works really well.

I do feel for you with these meds...I've too had a glimpse of what they can do to a person when they try to withdraw. Lets hope for the best and good luck to you......Let us know how you get on.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:13 PM   #11
(male)

scot724 HB User

so its been awhile but i didnt get to wean off during the time i said cause shortly after we were hit hard with hurricane sandy

i am now finally in the process of weaning off from august till jan i was taking 40mg prilosec i am now down to 10mg

ive been reducing it weekly

the issue here is my dr is doing this cause nothing else has helped me i didnt go on ppi to begin with for reflux i went on because of my gastritis and that was in 2007 and was never taken off

since then every year my stomach symptoms have gotten worse all sorts of digestive issues and constant burning

so this is very hard for me to do cause in the end i dont know if this will even help me and solve this long standing problem plus im already in pain before i started this process so im in that much more pain now

so as i said i started 10mg this week and now my throat is hurting worse i can deal with alto of the burning but i have this pain in the left side of my throat thats like a bad ache and thats really bothering me the most at the moment

supplements im taking to help this process is dgl,fennel and digestive enzymes

ive also been juicing vegetables everyday since i started about 16oz a day spinach,cucumber,carrots,fresh fennel,romaine lettuce,pears..i would do apples but it interacts with one of my medicines

basically besides dealing with the pain im just scared 1. if this will solve my problems and 2. how long i will be in increased pain for

if anyone has any other suggestions that have gone through it whether it be something to take..foods to eat please let me know...ive been eating the same thing everyday just baked chicken with some rice it doesnt take much to set me off right now

Old 01-21-2013, 12:39 PM   #12
(male)

scot724 HB User

for 3 weeks ive been weaning down dosages..im up to the week now where i either cut it off completely or go to every other day what does everyone think is best ?

Old 01-21-2013, 05:15 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

kacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB User

Scot, everyone is different, only you know if you are ready to cut it out now completely, but my feeling is, what have you got to loose by doing another couple of weeks at every other day, or another couple of weeks at halving it again and taking it every day.

But, how hard did you find the last reduction? its not likely to be any worse to do the same reduction again, so if that takes you down to zero, you can probably handle it.

Good luck with the final hurdle.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:19 PM   #14
(male)

scot724 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacyc View Post
Scot, everyone is different, only you know if you are ready to cut it out now completely, but my feeling is, what have you got to loose by doing another couple of weeks at every other day, or another couple of weeks at halving it again and taking it every day.

But, how hard did you find the last reduction? its not likely to be any worse to do the same reduction again, so if that takes you down to zero, you can probably handle it.

Good luck with the final hurdle.
im on 10mg right now of the prilosec cant get any lower then that

the week being on 10mg pain has increase some but not that bad..today was a bad day for whatever reason and having constant worse burning

for me its all about timing im scared how long this is going to take overall because starting in april i do have alot going on..right now being unemployed and not having much going on i can do this i just dont want it to stretch out too far

Old 01-21-2013, 05:42 PM   #15
(male)

scot724 HB User

heres another question if i do every other day on prilosec and if i take ranitidine on the days i dont take prilosec once i start this process should i also take the ranitidine on the prilsoec days as well

Reply Reply