It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2012, 09:23 AM   #1
(female)

charity1977 HB User
Gerd? Heartburn? Or what? Will I ever feel normal again?

I am 34 years old, and I'm fit and active. I got sick late August and was vomiting for 24 hours straight.. I got over that and about a week later I started getting heartburn? every single day.. It lasts all day long. Went to to doctor, she didn't do any tests, but said it sounds like Gerd, and put me on Prilosec.. I took that for 3 days, and it didn't help at all and I started getting asthma from taking it. She took me off that and gave me Ranitidine.. I've been taking that for about a week and I do feel about 75% better, but I'm still not feeling 100% better.. My question is, will I ever feel like myself again? I'm totally eating good, I'm watching everything I eat, I only eat super bland foods. I've eliminated wheat from my diet to see if its an allergy.. Nothing seems to make any difference..

My symptom is a weird dull pain in my chest that feels somewhat like burning.. sometimes it kind of feels like a burp is stuck or something, but doesn't ever come out .. Sometimes I feel like when I eat, some of the food is coming back up out of my stomach.. Also I almost constantly feel like my throat is full of phlegm and often feels like there's either a lump in my throat or that my throat is closing up.. The pain sometimes goes away for like 30 minutes at a time, and then its back.

They did chest x-rays (not sure what they were looking for?) that turned out fine but haven't done anything beyond that. I would really prefer to not get many more x-rays if they aren't necessary, as I have Hoshimoto's Thyroid Disease and the radiation exposure isn't good when you have that. Should I get some other testing though? Does it seem like I do have gerd or something else? Will I ever feel normal again? These symptoms seem to come regardless of what i eat.. If i even drink a glass of water I start getting the weird feelings in my thoat and chest. I've been on the ranitidine twice a day for a week and again, I feel better, but still not totally feeling like myself.. Is this as good as its going to get, or should I be feeling totally normal?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2012, 11:39 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Stretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB User
Re: Gerd? Heartburn? Or what? Will I ever feel normal again?

As far as ever feelng normal again time will tell depending on what you have? So your symtoms sure pretty classic Gerds. The lumpis most likely that your throat is inflamed or swollen or both. If the Ratadibe (Zantac) is helping you feel better I would stay on that path. Your throat will need to heal to feel better or the lump will never leave only thing is will the Ratadine allow or be enough to keep the acid at bay while your throat heals? I'm
not sure that anyone ever knows where or how there's started mine was somewhere around my early 30's I'm now 40 and am also very fit which is suppose to be in your favor if your at your ideal weight hasn't stopped my Gerds. The food coming up is your throat is swollen and it all doesn't go down is my thoughts. I have this when I have flare ups. I also get a runny nose for no reason at random times of the day Dr. Says its from GERDs acid vapors washing back up into your Lungs. The throwing up may have been the final straw that broke your LPR back or it's possible you have had it and just didn't get the burning part like a silent reflux. As for tests there are what seems like a endless supply of test but the one that can really determine what's going on is upper GI there pretty easy they put you into sleepy land and put a scope down your throat that really the only good way to tell if you have Gerds otherwise your Dr is just guessing they like to do that then if you respond well to treatment you must have Gerds but they are jus guessing without the scope. Good luck

The following user gives a hug of support to Stretch1one:
charity1977 (09-10-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Stretch1one For This Useful Post:
charity1977 (09-10-2012)
Old 09-09-2012, 05:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Actually, it's not usual for a bad stomach bug to produce a bout of bad heartburn. It might take a few weeks to fully resolve. After that, it might go away entirely. My husband had something like that about 10 years ago, and he's had no problems since. Or, you might continue to have heartburn and indigestion on and off.

Make an appointment with a gastroenterologist. You'll probably have to wait a few weeks. If you get better, cancel it. If not, the gastroenterologist may want to examine your stomach with an endoscope or perform other tests to find out exactly what's wrong.

Meanwhile, stick to the bland diet and ranitidine. Let your digestive system heal.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
charity1977 (09-10-2012)
Old 09-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
(female)

95758 HB User

Thank you for posting. I am having the exact same problem. Mine started last Friday, aug 31. I went to the dr on Tuesday and she barely took my vitals and told me it was probably a virus and wrote me a prescription for Prilosec. I took it once and it made me feel worse so I stopped taking it and switched to pepsid. It has helped but I still don't feel right and can't eat much of anything. I'm going to try and go back to the dr tomorrow to see if she'll actually run some test this time.

JaneWhite did your husband take any meds while he was sick?

Old 09-09-2012, 06:37 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

He took one medicine for a few weeks. I think it was either Zantac or Pepcid. Prilosec can cause rebound symptoms when you quit, so it's best to try Zantac and Pepcid first, and only use Prilosec if it's obviously necessary.

The following user gives a hug of support to janewhite1:
95758 (09-09-2012)
Old 09-09-2012, 06:46 PM   #6
(female)

95758 HB User

Thank you, the pepsid is helping so maybe I'll wait a few days and see if it goes away on its own.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:43 PM   #7
(female)

ro47 HB Userro47 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stfluffybrain View Post
I have had GERD for over 30 years. On and off ppis etc. Offered an op to tighten sphincter.

Due to another health problem 6 weeks ago I went on a whole no processed food diet. Not eaying pork either but don't know about that bit. Organic and gluten free and knock me down with a feather, no more GERD. Not taken the drugs all that time either.
I still eat rice. Don't eat the horrible processed GF products.
Try it, then if it works introduce bits back in but tbh eating the rubbish now seems pointless. Google the site Wheatbelly too about GM of wheat in the 70's. Dwarf wheat.
hugz Dawn
Wow, after 30 years! You finally found your answer, that's great! Please tell me what you are eating. You say no wheat. Do you eat any beef, chicken, etc.? You said you can eat rice. Do you eat white rice or brown? I'm very anxious to know.

Reply Reply