It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #1
(male)

Will488 HB User
My GERD is 80-95% gone with gluten-free diet

Howdy all. I don't have a lot to contribute, but here's my short story.

I was diagnosed empirically with GERD at age 20 after tolerating the symptoms for several months. I immediately went on PPIs (pantoprazole 20mg and later lansoprazole), and it was mostly controlled except when I drank alcohol.

I had noted to all of my doctors that bread seemed to be a trigger. Large quantities of starch can be triggers (white rice was a trigger too), so it wasn't noted as being too significant.

I'm 25 now. I tested negative for H. Pyloris last fall. In January, I started taking pantoprazole 40mg because I could get it for free through a Patience assistance program instead of paying for OTC lansoprazole. A few weeks later, I developed mild anemia (hematocrit was 38). Low stomach acidity interferes with iron absorption. I went off all PPIs and took iron supplements to try to get my levels up.
From January to June/July, I had been having cramps, gas, bloating, etc. symptoms of celiac disease and/or gluten intolerance.

I've been doing my best to avoid gluten (rye, wheat, barley) since July, and have gotten pretty good at it lately. I now almost never have any kind of heartburn or reflux. It's down to <1 incident per week, and it's usually mild. All of the bloating, cramps, gas, etc. are gone too, but that's not the point of my post.

I do have other health issues, including confirmed but undiagnosed low testosterone, but I feel that other people who have GERD issues might find relief the same way I did.

So it might be worth a try for a week or two to see if your diet improves. I replaced a lot of breads with rice and potatoes. Potatoes never triggered heartburn for me.

Here's a short list of what I avoid (I'm also pescaterian, so I don't eat things like brown gravy that might have flour added to them):

No bread, pasta, noodles
No beer (cider is a great replacement)
No soy sauce - use Tamari instead. Most "soy" sauce is made from soy and wheat
Watch out for surprise breading (and things fried in the same oil as breading)
Read the ingredients - granola bars got me with "rye and barley flakes"

Things I enjoy eating that are gluten free:
-Southern style Cornbread (if it's not southern style, it often has wheat flour in it)
-Potatoes
-Corn chips
-Rice noodles
-Rice
-fruit
-veggies

Grains that don't contain gluten:
-Spelt,
-buckwheat (ironic, no?)
-Quinoa (cooks in 10 minutes, but pricey)
-Gluten Free oats (a lot of oats are cross-contaminated)
-Corn
-other obscure grains like amaranth, farro, etc.

Anyway, hopefully someone finds this helpful!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2012, 01:20 PM   #2
(female)

ro47 HB Userro47 HB User
Re: My GERD is 80-95% gone with gluten-free diet

That's amazing. I've been trying different diets to see what might help my lpr. I was reading recently about wheat possibly causing it. I am trying to go wheat free. I also heard that carbs could be the culprit. Do you eat any sugar or fruit? I've been trying to avoid corn, potatoes and rice. Boy, it would be easier to just give up the wheat if I could still eat those. I'm not left with much except meat, nuts, cheese and non starch veggies.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:40 PM   #3
(male)

Will488 HB User

I eat sugar and quite a bit of fruit. I try to eat 1-3 pieces of fruit a day. Bananas, oranges, apples, sometimes grapes or seasonal goodies like peaches. I try to keep the sugar intake down, and mostly I eat it in drinks like coffee or tea. I almost never drink soda. I try to use honey instead of sugar a lot of times because it supposedly tastes sweeter per calorie than sugar.

The whole reason I realized that not eating wheat improved my GERD symptoms is because I went on a harsh diet with no sugar, no bread, and mostly brown rice and veggies for a few months. I lost 30lbs in 2011 from March to August (gained back 15 of it though, partly from my other health issues)

I can't say what will or won't work, but if one thing doesn't work, try something else. It took me some time to sort of add together things I could eat with no problems.

I believe that carbs can be a trigger for GERD because your stomach produces more acid to digest starches or the fiber that often comes with starches. One reason I like potatoes is that you can microwave them in a few minutes. Just poke holes in them so they don't explode.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:20 PM   #4
(female)

sadgirl1938 HB Usersadgirl1938 HB User

ty for this i have EE of the throat and reflux and food allergies.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:51 AM   #5
(female)

ro47 HB Userro47 HB User

I've gone 6 days now with no wheat. I am also eating low carb and cutting out sugar. My lpr symptoms are better. I haven't felt much burning in the last few days and my mucous seems better. This is a hard diet to stick to but I am going to try to stick with it for at least another week. I don't seem to be bloating as much either. Feeling hopeful.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:30 AM   #6
(female)

ty to the original poster ! i to have gluten allergies self diagnosed over the last few weeks. i have had severe migraines since 15, i am now 38. never got any relief. suffered most of them out with no meds as most meds didnt help any how. a lot of drs said could be food allergies over the many years now bc i always have allergy symptoms over the years and i have them all year long which is very unusual for normal allergies. my mom never believed them at all. and i didnt know what to think. i figured out that after eating certain foods i get a migraine after maybe 20 of eating.
yesterday i got some gluten free bread, and flour to cook with later, ate the bread last night with some mashed potatoes from the deli. no headache at all. i just now ate some more bread with jam for breakfast still no headache. the bread isnt very good tasting and kindof a dry chewy bread which is hard for me to chew as i am missing a molar i need to chew with that i had pulled out not to long ago, but even with that i think i will survive not having the soft fluffy white bread i always eat if it means no more headaches. i can also get gluten free crackers, pasta etc. and i will avoid the breaded piece of chicken, fish at a deli etc. they use reg. flour i am sure at most places. the gluten free is so $$$ for flour. so they use the normal kind to cook with. which also means no gravy either from the deli. they use reg flour in that also. i also have acid reflux and just 3 months ago got my throat dilated a bit - had a good dr no pain at all. now it feels tight between my breast's again. and i have been taking the reflux pill at night. i think food allergies have made it tight again. i dread having to go back to do that again, it was a good experience and every one was wonderful but i dont like being knocked out and i see no other way to do the stretch. some just get sedatives and a numbing spray but i dont think that is for me. i think for me its better to be completely knocked out. we will see what happens with my reflux also. maybe it is all caused by gluten i am not sure. but i will keep with the gluten free diet and see what happens. ty for your posting maybe a few others have this as well. i know a lady at my church begged me to look into a gluten free diet. i know i treated her like she was crazy. now i feel so badly bc she was right.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:32 AM   #7
(female)

ty to the original poster ! i to have gluten allergies self diagnosed over the last few weeks. i have had severe migraines since 15, i am now 38. never got any relief. suffered most of them out with no meds as most meds didnt help any how.

a lot of drs said could be food allergies over the many years now bc i always have allergy symptoms over the years and i have them all year long which is very unusual for normal allergies. my mom never believed them at all. and i didnt know what to think. i figured out that after eating certain foods i get a migraine after maybe 20 of eating.

yesterday i got some gluten free bread, and flour to cook with later, ate the bread last night with some mashed potatoes from the deli. no headache at all. i just now ate some more bread with jam for breakfast still no headache. the bread isnt very good tasting and kind of a dry chewy bread which is hard for me to chew as i am missing a molar i need to chew with that i had pulled out not to long ago, but even with that i think i will survive not having the soft fluffy white bread i always eat if it means no more headaches.

i can also get gluten free crackers, pasta etc. and i will avoid the breaded piece of chicken, fish at a deli etc. they use reg. flour i am sure at most places. the gluten free is so $$$ for flour. so they use the normal kind to cook with. which also means no gravy either from the deli. they use reg flour in that also. i also have acid reflux and just 3 months ago got my throat dilated a bit - had a good dr no pain at all. now it feels tight between my breast's again.

and i have been taking the reflux pill at night. i think food allergies have made it tight again. i dread having to go back to do that again, it was a good experience and every one was wonderful but i dont like being knocked out and i see no other way to do the stretch. some just get sedatives and a numbing spray but i dont think that is for me.

i think for me its better to be completely knocked out. we will see what happens with my reflux also. maybe it is all caused by gluten i am not sure. but i will keep with the gluten free diet and see what happens. ty for your posting maybe a few others have this as well.

i know a lady at my church begged me to look into a gluten free diet. i know i treated her like she was crazy. now i feel so badly bc she was right.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:48 AM   #8
(female)

ammery HB User

Just wanted to write and confirm that they same thing is happening for me!
I've had chronic, dibiliatating GERD for maybe 7 years now. After doing a ton of reading regarding wheat free diet benefits, I thought I'd give it a try, I was expecting perhaps my hypoglycemia to go away and maybe to lose weight (neither has happened ) but my heartburn went away!

I cheated approximately three times this month... Once with bread on a sandwich, once with an english muffin, and once with chile rellenos (which are battered in flour) and each and every time I got heartburn, and that distinctive closed throat feeling that comes with my eosinophilic esophagitis.

It can't be a coincidence, it's gotta be the wheat!

The surprising thing about all of this is that I tested negative for celiac and for gluten allergies. It must simply be a sensitivity.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:03 AM   #9
(female)

ro47 HB Userro47 HB User

That's great! Hey are you doing the "Wheat Belly" diet? I'm all into that! Hasn't cured my gerd but I know it has cured it for a lot of people.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-16-2014 at 09:42 AM.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:21 PM   #10
(male)

Will488 HB User

I'm glad to hear it! Also, the common blood test for celiac's is an antibody detection test. If you aren't eating wheat (like if you cut it out of your diet) when you're tested, you may get a false negative.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-16-2014 at 09:42 AM.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:28 AM   #11
(female)

lissa927 HB User

My GERD has actually increased ten fold on the gluten free diet. So frustrating! I am going gluten free for other reasons. The pity--I had my acid reflux pretty much under control without medication for a year. Back to the drawing board......

Closed Thread

Tags
celiac, gerd, gluten