It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #1
(male)

jamesinUK HB User
When is best to take ppi drugs for LPR (for sore throat)

Hi, I have today seen an ENT surgeon who has confirmed that i have LPR (silent reflux) which is giving me a sore / burning throat and roof of my mouth.

My gp had me on ppi drugs but they hadn't been doing anything for my symptoms which the surgeon said they probably won't do a great deal for your throat as such which is why youíre probably not seeing much change in your throat problems, he has asked me to still keep taking them as he wants me to try and keep the acid build up down.

I donít have any other symptoms apart from my throat / mouth issue.

He has asked me to just take gaviscon advance 3 times a day as well as the ppi drugs, the ppi half an hour before i eat and the gaviscon about half an hour after i eat and last thing before bed.

My main question though is when i am best taking my ppi drug, up to now i have always been taking it first thing in the morning, i am starting to think that specifically for my throat issues its probably related to night time, meaning i maybe best taking the ppi before bed to try and limit the reflux at that time?

Can anyone tell me what they think?

James

Old 09-12-2012, 06:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: When is best to take ppi drugs for LPR (for sore throat)

If it seems like most of the reflux is happening at night, then it might indeed help to take it either before bed or before dinner.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
jamesinUK (09-13-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2012, 08:15 PM   #3
(female)

sadgirl1938 HB Usersadgirl1938 HB User

yes i get my reflux at nite, i just take a pepcid before bed and i done eat before bed either

Old 09-13-2012, 10:47 AM   #4
(male)

jamesinUK HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
If it seems like most of the reflux is happening at night, then it might indeed help to take it either before bed or before dinner.
Thanks for your reply, i have never really felt when i reflux, i donít get heartburn etc.. The only thing i have is a burning sensation in my throat / roof of mouth, does that sound normal for LPR?

my gp thought it was that and now i have seen an ent surgeon who has looked in my throat, he said itís very red and all the usual tell tale signs of LPR, so i am happy that i now know its that.

the only thing is i never used to think it was that but i just didnít know what else, i think the main reason was because the ppi drugs had no effect so i guessed it must not be reflux, my surgeon said the ppi drugs on their own probably wonít make much difference to your throat which is reassuring.

can anyone with experience of LPR tell me when you have the same symptoms i have, would you know when you have refluxed, what i feel it and tell its that or does it just happen without me realising? Only asking because i cant ever think of any times where i have thought i can sence i am refluxing etc, which also confuses me.

I drink a lot of coffee with brown sugar during my day, i read that coffee isnt good for LPR, i have stopped coffee for a bit and have noticed a reduction in the burning, im not sure if this is directly linked to the coffee, or the gaviscon advance which i have just started taking, recommended by my ent surgeon.

as for the ppi drugs, i had stopped taking them altogether a few weeks back as i hadn't noticed they were doing anything at all, maybe the whole time i was taking them i would have been best of a night as i was asking above, i had always taken them first thing in the morning which is fine i guess if you have stomach issues, but i was thinking the other day that maybe in my case id be best an hour before i go to bed so it shuts of the amount of acid darning the night. i can only assume this is probably the time when the acid is getting to my throat / mouth.

I had also read bad things about ppi drugs online which also made me want to stop using them, such things as it can increase the chances of getting other viruses in your stomach, can cause weight gain / sickly feeling, can also make the issue worse once you stop taking them.

I donít know if any of this holds any truth?

james

Old 09-13-2012, 03:06 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Most people have no side effects from PPIs, but the "rebound" is real. If you take them for 2 months and then quit, about half of patients will feel worse than they did before for a few weeks.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:16 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I had LPR as well. Pretty seriously. For me, it took taking higher dose PPI's twice a day. I took one before breakfast, one before dinner and when I was really bad I would take some Gaviscon before bed. It took a while on that regimine to get my LPR under control. I did well for several years, then it stopped working. It really is a difficult thing.

I think it is good to really watch your diet to find your triggers. It is harder for LPR, but it may help you. Eliminating coffee is a good start. You will probably have to go further though.

Reply Reply