It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
(male)

jamesinUK HB User
Can ppi's make LPR worse?

I only ask because i have had a burning throat / roof of back of mouth for 3 months straight, i stopped my ppi's as i felt they were doing nothing at all, i finally seen an ent surgeon who diagnosed me with LPR, he looked in my throat and said it was very red and had all the usual signs of LPR (not having heartburn but my throat being burnt etc).

so he said to restart my ppi's and also start taking gaviscon advance 30 mins after every meal and also before i go to bed, the first 2 days i was having the gaviscon only and noticed quite a reduction in the burning sensation, then after day 2 i statred back on my ppi's, and the first morning after i woke up and could really taste a horrible taste in my mouth and my throat felt very burnt again.

so my question is just is there any one who thinks ppi's can make LPR worse, giving that ppi's are mainly good for heartburn and seem to not do much for LPS sufferers who get burns in their mouth / throat?

or am i wrong and not giving them enough chance, giving time will ppi's do good for my throat?

James

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2012, 04:28 PM   #2
(male)

Michael949 HB UserMichael949 HB UserMichael949 HB User
Re: Can ppi's make LPR worse?

I've never been officially diagnosed with LPR, but I'm sure I have some level of it because I have a long history of acid reflux that goes up into my throat while I'm sleeping. When I wake up, I have difficulty swallowing and it feels like my throat is narrowing

Anyway, I'm not a doctor but I think you should keep taking your medication. Why? Because think about it, even though you don't have heartburn, where does the acid from LPR come from? You're esophagus and stomach. PPIs are usually effective for that because they stop the acid production, whereas the OTC meds just relieve the symptoms

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2012, 09:02 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Can ppi's make LPR worse?

Actually, I truly believe that for some people they can. The throat is very sensitive to acid, and no amount of PPI can completely shut down the production of stomach acid.

However, reducing the acid may cause your LES to relax more, and reduce other natural defenses against reflux.

When I had bad digestive and throat symptoms, I always found that starting PPIs made a huge and immediate difference to the heartburn, but did nothing for the sore throats at all.

Reply Reply