It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
(female)

Spunkyhunny HB UserSpunkyhunny HB User
Reflux after massage

Hi all....hope someone can help me out....been off ppis for just over a month...it hasn't been the greatest month but there have been a few good days...I got a massage today and she said she could help with the reflux so she did an abdominal massage not the stomach area but under ribs and rest of abdomen....as well as rest of massage the abdomen part was maybe five minutes total....since then been about 3hours now .... I have had the worst reflux in a very long time....it's up in my throat I can feel n taste it in my mouth.... I took a Pepcid and that doesn't seem to be helping much ... Drank some water...ate a little bit...I am even getting like a fluttery sort of feeling in my throat now...stomach is actually burning...which hasn't happened for a little while since I've been off ppis....don't know what to do.....is this normal after a massage like that....I can even feel it in my upper chest area....has anyone else ever had this happen....did she overdo it...or just make my stomach mad again....it's even hard to burp....Im not sure what to do...or if it will go away soon
Please help
Spunky

Old 09-20-2012, 05:20 AM   #2
(male)

ksr HB User
Re: Reflux after massage

Yes massage is not a good idea if you are suffering from reflux. I had massage few times and reflux was strong after them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2012, 07:02 AM   #3
(female)

Hi all
the massage on my back wasnt terrible it was when she started doing the abdominal massage....shortly after the whole massage was over it started really bad
its not to bad today but man the last 2 days were not pleasant..
Thanks for the info
Spunky

Old 09-20-2012, 08:11 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

kacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB User

Hi Spunky, as a massage therapist myself, I would not recommend abdominal massage to help acid reflux, and not sure in what way she thought it could help. I have never heard this.

The reasons it would make you worse are: firstly any massage over the stomach would push the contents around, and unless the stomach was empty (could be up to 3 hours after eating) then the contents could be pushed up through the LES because of the pressure the massage exerted; secondly the massage could have stimulated activity in the stomach, good if you are suffering from motility problems, bad if you have a hyperacidity problem as is the case in rebound; also the back massage could have stimulated the nerves that supply the stomach; finally any form relaxation (not sure if you did relax!) will stimulate the digestive system.

And also, if you were lying flat, that could also be a trigger, especially if you are used to sleeping on an incline for reflux.

Put all that together, and its not what I would recommend!

Old 09-20-2012, 08:19 AM   #5
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacyc View Post
Hi Spunky, as a massage therapist myself, I would not recommend abdominal massage to help acid reflux, and not sure in what way she thought it could help. I have never heard this.

The reasons it would make you worse are: firstly any massage over the stomach would push the contents around, and unless the stomach was empty (could be up to 3 hours after eating) then the contents could be pushed up through the LES because of the pressure the massage exerted; secondly the massage could have stimulated activity in the stomach, good if you are suffering from motility problems, bad if you have a hyperacidity problem as is the case in rebound; also the back massage could have stimulated the nerves that supply the stomach; finally any form relaxation (not sure if you did relax!) will stimulate the digestive system.

And also, if you were lying flat, that could also be a trigger, especially if you are used to sleeping on an incline for reflux.

Put all that together, and its not what I would recommend!

hey kay
the massage was not the "stomach" per se,,,more below and around lower abdomen..she did come close a few times tho to my tummy...i understand exactly what you are saying tho and it is greatly appreciated. I do sleep on an incline, but seem to slide down during the night and wind up laying flat even tho the bed is raised and lots of pillows...thank you for the info
i am definitely NOT doing that again....it was BAD...today is a bit better than yesterday hopefully my stomach is getting over its hissy fit,.,,,lol
Thanks
Spunky

Old 09-20-2012, 08:26 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

kacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB User

spunky, the stomach is under the ribs, more on the left hand side, but any abdominal massage would effect all the internal organs, including the stomach! Hope you feel better soon.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:58 AM   #7
(female)

Hey kacyc
thanks so much
i didnt realise it was more on the left side...
I am starting to feel a bit better
Much appreciated
Spunky

Reply Reply