It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
(female)

CoughingStudent HB User
Do I have LPR?

I have been experiencing a chronic cough for the past 9 months. I have seen many doctors and had several tests done (all of which have come back negative). I am back in college for the semester, so I have to wait a couple of months before going back to the doctors, but I have found a lot of info about LPR and it sounds exactly like what I have. Here is what has been going on for 9 months:

-Started with just a dry unproductive cough
-Eventually I began to cough up mucus as well
-Sore throats and hoarseness
-Feeling of a lump in my throat
-Heartburn

about 6 months in:

-the lump began to feel bigger
-throat swelling (especially when I lay down at night)
-difficulty swallowing
-Excessive Burping (which is unusual for me)
-Also, recently I have exterienced this "cold heartburn"...that's the best way I can describe it

I have had the following tests done/tryed the following medications:

-QVAR inhaler (didn't help at all)
-Laryngoscope (which showed some slight redness around vocal chords)
-Sinus and Neck X-rays (nothing was found)
-Gastroscopy (normal)
-Pulmonary Function Test (normal...in fact, I have super lungs!)
-Bravo 48-hour PH probe (normal...although he found a small hiatal hernia while placing the probe.)

I am currently on Prevacid for GERD, although I still regurally experience heartburn. I have tryed to cut out all foods that normally cause me heartburn and also sleep on multiple pillows at night. I don't usually experience real "reflux"...but sometimes when I cough, I get this burning sensation in the back of my nose.

Also, I definately notice the cough it much worse after eating or during physical activity. The cough gets bad when I lay down at night but as soon as I fall asleep it doesn't bother me anymore. In the morning, the minute I get up and moving, the sensation of having to cough comes back. Laughing also stimultes the cough. I can (for the most part) control the cough when in social situations, but that is almost more uncomfortable than actually coughing.

Anyway, that's my story. I would appreciate any advice/comments on what you think may be going on. Right now, I am thinking either LPR or a neurogenic cough. But this cough is literally driving me crazy!Thanks, in advance for any information you have that could help me!

Last edited by CoughingStudent; 09-19-2012 at 03:57 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2012, 10:27 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Do I have LPR?

It does sound like LPR symptoms. It is interesting your Bravo came back fairly normal though.

Have you had any Pulmonary Function tests done yet to check for asthma? How about any chest x-rays? A Barium Swallow and Esophagram might be useful as well. With the Esophagram, they have you chew or drink and swallow and items with Barium and they have a speech therapist there examining your chewing and swallowing processes to make sure there aren't other throat issues involved. The Barium Swallow watches the food down to the stomach to see how it moves and if anything comes back up.

In general, Chronic Dry Coughs are usually caused by: asthma, allergies, PND or acid reflux.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:56 AM   #3
(female)

CoughingStudent HB User
Re: Do I have LPR?

Oh yes, I forgot to add pulmonary function test. That came back fine as well. I was confused about the BRavo results too...but I realized that I was not eating like normal because it hurt. Would this effect the results?

The Baeium swalkow and esophagran sound like they would be helpful! I will ask my doctor about those. Thank you very much for the info!

Reply Reply

Tags
coughing, gerd, lpr