It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2012, 09:19 PM   #1
(male)

Jay67 HB User
Question Weird nighttime episodes. Can anyone relate to this?

Hi all,

I'm new around here, so hi! I've had digestive issues since I was a child, and I'm about to be 45 next month, so it's been a while! I was diagnosed with GERD about 20 years ago. For the last 6 years I've been on omeprazole 20 mg bid. Over the last year I have had 6 of what I'll call "episodes". I'll be sleeping (I use a CPAP mask also) and I'll suddenly wake up in the middle of the night a bit warm and feeling that I need to have a bowel movement (sorry, no way to make that pretty). When I get to the bathroom, I can feel my stomach roiling, acidic... then I will get DRENCHING sweats... I mean, my whole body dripping with sweat. Often my bowel movement will be normal. Then I will dry heave for a while. Once it's over, it's over. I'll feel very tired, but it's not like I continue to be ill. Has anyone here EVER experienced anything like this before? I've been consulting with doctors over the last year with what seems like limited success. The first time it happened, I got diagnosed with a UTI and told that since I'm diabetic, symptoms happen "differently". In July when it happened, my lipase was high (not my amylase) and I was diagnosed with pancreatitis. My pancreas enzymes went back to normal, and I had another episode 3 weeks ago at which time they did an abdominal CT scan on me and diagnosed me with diverticulitis and gave me a Cipro/Flagyl cocktail! I'm so frustrated and can't help but wonder if these episodes have been GERD induced. Further, when my heartburn is really bad, the middle of my back hurts, too. Anyone else experience this?

Thanks in advance for ANYthing you have to say.
Jay

The following user gives a hug of support to Jay67:
catkaru (09-23-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2012, 08:51 AM   #2
(female)

Spunkyhunny HB UserSpunkyhunny HB User
Re: Weird nighttime episodes. Can anyone relate to this?

Hi there
I do understand the sweats before the poo...not the dry heaves tho...it happened to my sister too, when she hasnt gone for awhile and then it wil lhit her like a ton of bricks so to speak...I find the middle of my back will hurt as well during bad episodes...I recently (almost 3 months ago) stopped taking the ppi's, its been a struggle even though i was on 3 different types for about 6-7 months and the rebounds been not great...but funny thing is I NEVER had reflux before taking the dang PPI's..its so frustrating I am trying everything naturally(DGL Mastic gum, bee propolis, etc) eating right you know..none of the "bad" stuff.
I just want this dang heartburn/reflux to go away...i dont know if it is still my gastrin levels getting back to normal or stress or what....
I hope you feel better soon
Spunky

Old 09-29-2012, 07:06 AM   #3
(female)

glove9298 HB User
Re: Weird nighttime episodes. Can anyone relate to this?

Hi about 3 weeks ago I woke up with indigestion and it hasn't really stopped. Antacids to help and if I watch my diet it does also help. My doc is sending me for a endoscope and colon. I am scared because on the list of things that can be wrong stomach cancer is one of them. Yesterday I ate a bit of spice and BOY did I pay the price for it all day. I'm afraid to eat because I don't know what will trigger it. Do you bleach all day too? Mine is like little puffs of air. Any info you have will be greatly appreciated. 36yr old

Reply Reply

Tags
gerd, pain, sweats