It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2012, 09:40 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

JanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB User
PPIs no longer seem to work.

I've been on and off medication for years for acid reflux. I've suspected for a while now that the proton pump inhibitor tablets have stopped working for me. I've talked to several doctors, but they seem wholly unconvinced that this could be so. I've also spoken to a pharmacist who is also unconvinced. I feel like I'm going mad! However, I'm now certain about it. I've been having a flare up during the last few weeks. My doctor doubled my dose of Lansoprazole, but nothing changed. I've now stopped taking them and, guess what, no change!

I do find that ranitidine and Gaviscon help, but when things are bad I need to take a lot of both.

Anyone else experienced the same with PPIs?

Old 10-01-2012, 05:45 AM   #2
(male)

Johnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB User
Re: PPIs no longer seem to work.

Have you stuck to lifestyle changes and diet modifications during the period you have been on PPI's? Easy to slip back to bad habits which make the PPI's much less effective.

I know in my case I really have to be careful with products with any kind of sucrose, lactose etc or my reflux gets very bad, alcohol is also an issue. No matter the PPI this stuff can overwhelm it in my case.

Many on this board have reported using a certain PPI for months or years and then it quits working so I think your not alone in this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2012, 12:00 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Thanks for your reply. I'm extremely good with my lifestyle changes. I don't drink alcohol, I don't smoke, I don't have caffeine, I eat small meals, I avoid all the trigger foods and I sleep with my bed raised, I've also lost 21 pounds. If anyone can think of anything else I can do, I'd be very grateful.

It baffles me how some report the PPIs no longer work, yet the doctors seem completely unaware of this.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:52 AM   #4
(male)

Johnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB User

Often folks just keep trying other PPI's until something works for them once one stops working. I found Nexium and Prevacid didn't do as much as plain old Pepcid for me, Omeprazole worked to some degree but I had dizziness from it and again needed to supplement with Pepcid. I am currently on Dexilant which oddly enough a variation on the same drug as Prevacid and it seems to help , again though I supplement with Prevacid before dinner each day. For 15 yrs I took Pepcid 40 mg's and it was enough with few lifestyle changes. Now I have made all kinds of changes and have to use Dexilant and Pepcid to control my refux.

So no doubt PPI's are kinda goofy , different for each of us. Rather than doubling your dose maybe your doc needs to try some a new version.

I even try reverting to the once a day Dexilant to twice a day Prevacid. Dexilant is the time released version of Prevacid. Odd but the Prevacid seemed not to work at all. Makes you scratch your head. Good luck !

The Following User Says Thank You to Johnah For This Useful Post:
JanaJ (10-02-2012)
Old 10-03-2012, 10:18 AM   #5
(female)

ksc1968 HB Userksc1968 HB User

Yep, mine actually never worked that great. Im almost completely weened off after 15 years taking it even though I still had heartburn! Sometimes things just dont work the same after a while. Switch to another ppi but do not double up. That doesnt work, unless you have LPR (which I do) and It didnt help me. Try a dose of Pepcid max strength one hour before bed. You can take PPi with pepcid, just space a few hours apart. It really helps me

Old 10-03-2012, 11:48 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

I'm in the UK. The docs have preferred PPIs, due to costs. I took Nexium once and it worked but they won't prescribe it for me again.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #7
(female)

ksc1968 HB Userksc1968 HB User

have you tried gaviscon advance liquid? I order it from the UK and pay a fortune for shipping. Its good stuff and its not available in the USA

Old 10-03-2012, 11:56 AM   #8
(female)

NJLinda HB UserNJLinda HB UserNJLinda HB UserNJLinda HB User

I have been on PPI's for over 20 years and I did change brands a few times. I'm on Protonix 40 mg. twice a day now for the past 8 years and I need it for my Barretts Esophagus to help keep the acid in my stomach. Maybe you just need to double your dose or something. But do it with the doctors permission! If mine even stopped working, they had better come up with a great substitute because without taking them, it kills my esophagus.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:02 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksc1968 View Post
have you tried gaviscon advance liquid? I order it from the UK and pay a fortune for shipping. Its good stuff and its not available in the USA
I take gaviscon advanced. It's good stuff.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #10
(male)

gorkhali221 HB User

please check the side effects of longterm use of PPI and it's real and i've been suffering after using it for 6 years. control ur acid reflux with diet.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:41 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

I can't, I do everything you should, but I still suffer.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #12
(male)

artcore HB User

I just started to double up my 20mg of omeprazole...twice a day, my problem has been gas, not so much reflux...It seems to work, I tried backing off, ok for a week then gas again...I don't know what the deal is with the gas, some say its related to GERD, others say no connection...doctors are clueless....waste of time even asking.....If things settle down I will back off to 20mg before dinner again.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:51 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

So, today I've been prescribed 40mg of Nexium. We'll see how it goes.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:22 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

Can't take the Nexium as I can't sleep.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:28 PM   #15
(male)

artcore HB User

I can testify to the alcohol...Never a big drinker to start with but I started having a beer with my dinner...( hot summer in Florida)....you know how good that tasted...All was well for about 3 weeks then bam!....gas and heartburn...a bad flare up and the beer was the only change to my diet....So I have to assume it was the trigger....Its taken me month to get somewhat back to normal

Reply Reply