It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2012, 02:53 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

JanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB User
Gastroscopy/Endoscopy

I live in the UK. I had an upper endoscopy about 20 years ago and it was horrendous. My doctor wants me to have another one, but I'm really scared and I mean really. Can anyone tell me if they've improved the technique. Do you still have to swallow a big tube? Does it make you cough and retch?

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2012, 03:50 PM   #2
(female)

georgi17 HB Usergeorgi17 HB User
Re: Gastroscopy/Endoscopy

Here In the U.S they usually lightly sedate you and you don't feel a thing. I would definitely ask your doctor about this!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2012, 06:48 PM   #3
(female)

Jacy56 HB UserJacy56 HB User

I had an endoscopy last year. The I V started and the next thing I knew was that it was all over. Slight sore throat but all in all it was not a bad experience. I'm in the USA also.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

JanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB User

I had sedation, perhaps they didn't give me enough.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:44 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi Janaj,
I have had four Endoscopys.
For each one I asked for maximum sedation. After being told to lay on my left side before they put the tube in I dont remember a single thing, infact I never even saw the tube.
For one of my Endoscopys I was given the throat spray, I would Never have that again, a bad experience for me!!...
If sedation if administered properly at maximum dose , then you wont know anything about it. If it was so bad I would Never have had one let alone four.
Good Luck, You will be fine,

Solofelix.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #6
(female)

Minx65 HB User

I'm Uk based too and I had an endoscopy yesterday. Our health authority has subcontracted the Endoscopy service out to Prime Diagnostics and it was carried out at a community health centre. They inserted the tube through the nose after an anaesthetic spray up each nostril, and said that accessing this way rather than through the mouth enabled a much finer tube to be used. The spray numbs your nose/back of throat which makes it a bit difficult to swallow, but it's bearable. They offered sedation and I had it, though several other patients didn't. That was via a canula - one injection and it just relaxed me. I was fully conscious though my recall afterwards wasn't spot on, and I was able to watch what was happening on a screen. It doesn't take long, less than five minutes I'd say, and although it's a bit uncomfortable, it didn't really hurt, even when they took a couple of biopsies. I just felt very detached about it all. If you have sedation they like you to hang about a bit afterwards, but my appointment was for 9.15 and I was home by 11.00am. I wouldn't get stressed out about it again, though I wouldn't look forward to it. You'll be fine. If you feel so inclined, have a look on You Tube under Prime Diagnostics and you can see the procedure being carried out. Or perhaps you might not want to do that.

Reply Reply