It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2012, 03:26 PM   #1
(female)

headachejane HB User
Question GERD problem hormonal??

Hello all,

I haven't really been diagnosed with GERD, but I've been having hearburn on and off (on alot lately) for the past 8 months.

I am a 41 year old female. I first got heartburn symptoms back in March of this year (I NEVER had heartburn in my life before this!). It came on so strong and sudden that I didn't know what to do. I saw my doctor and he told me to take Prilosec OTC for 2-4 weeks. I did as he instructed, as well as changing my diet (no more onions, garlic, alcohol). It really made a difference, but the heartburn still hung around.

Amazingly, it went away completely for a while (like a month). Then, it came back then went away again, etc. Well, now it's back really badly again. No matter what I eat, I have it (some days worse than others). I am currently taking Prilosec again for 2 weeks. Zantac wasn't strong enough.

My question is that it's awfully strange for someone like me, who never got heartburn in my life, to suddenly get it so badly at 41. I am still having regular periods, but they are getting closer together some months and lasting a full 7-8 days.

My heartburn is MUCH worse right before my period (and some during). Does anyone think GERD is brought on, in some cases, by the hormones of PMS or perimenopause?

Thanks,
Jane

Old 10-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #2
(female)

dizziedame HB User
Re: GERD problem hormonal??

Oh absolutely, peri menopause and hormone change are related, that could be the case, or it could have started for any other reason as well. The most important thing is to just keep yourself comfortable and the gerd under control, and that's what it sounds like because I have chronic gerd and have had it for ten years now. Mine started before peri menopausal symptoms came around for me, but I definitely noticed that it became much worse around this time. I started out the way you did, just taking PPI's when needed but then the gerd kept reappearing so often without breaks in between that the doctor just kept me on Nexium, and lately because of hormone changes I'm on double the dose. Sorry to hear you have to deal with this to, it sure isn't a great thing to have, but I hope you find something that works for you. Best of luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2012, 09:07 PM   #3
(female)

ItsMeG HB UserItsMeG HB UserItsMeG HB User
Re: GERD problem hormonal??

Good question Jane, I had wondered the same as you. And thanks to dizziedame for your answer.
I never had heartburn except very mild during 2 pregnancies. Then wham at 39 it came full force and anything I ate or drank...even water caused bad heartburn and then swallowing trouble. For a year I just dealt with it thinking it would go away. I hadn't gained weight and was limiting fatty foods, I don't smoke, rarely drink alcohol, and at the time stress was in control. Like you though my hormones were haywire and my cycles had started changing. I too notice a difference in my symptoms with my cycle. I should have sought treatment earlier as I let the untreated gerd do too much damage.
Hope the prilosec clears it up soon this time!

Reply Reply