It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2012, 07:18 AM   #1
(female)

rosieblue HB User
hiatus hernia/barretts and ppi's

I have been diagnosed with a hiatus hernia and slight barretts. I have been taking ppi's for a few months firstly 40mg and reducing this to 20mg because of severe constipation and a constant burning sensation in my stomach. However even on the lower dose I am still having these symptoms which are really getting me down.

I was wondering if anyone knows if it is safe to stop taking the ppi's altogether and whether they could suggest some other form of treatment.

Thanks

Old 10-14-2012, 08:19 AM   #2
(male)

secretrelief HB User
Re: hiatus hernia/barretts and ppi's

Hi

I'm taking 20mg omeprazole and have severe constipation too so i'm inclined to believe the ppi's are the cause, while i don't have any helpful advice for you at the moment (quite new to this and waiting for a definite diagnosis) i thought it might help to know you're not alone.

Hope you feel better soon

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2012, 09:46 AM   #3
(female)

rosieblue HB User

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, it does help to know that others also suffer constipation with ppi's. I don't know what is worse, the constipation or the original problem it was prescribed for. It all become such a 'vicious circle'. Hope you are able to get your problems under control.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:49 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

I was prescribed nexium after treatment for Ulcers and H.Pylori.
I have a Hiatal-Hernia and IBS and found PPIs seem to make my stomach feel worse so cut down on the dose and finally left them of altogether.
Got myself on a healthy diet and found most of my symptoms are much better. What suits one person may not suit another so I would suggest you try leaving PPIs off for awhile and replace with something like Gaviscon. If you are unsure then check with your Dr, I kept my Dr informed of what I was doing and she advised me accordingly,

Solofelix.

The Following User Says Thank You to solofelix For This Useful Post:
rosieblue (10-15-2012)
Reply Reply