It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2012, 03:03 PM   #1
(male)

statistic101 HB User
Smile After 7 years - how I managed to 'cure' my acid reflux

I had been suffering from Acid reflux for over 7 years, and had tried most of the prescription medicines (and holistic treatments) in an attempt to allay the burning and the cramps. Even high doses of Rabeprazole over many months did very little to ease things. I was reacting to almost all food types, to the point where my diet became so restricted that all I ate was white bread and soup (nasty Heinz tinned soup!).

2 years ago however things started to slowly get better. The turnaround unexpectedly came when I got married. My wife’s diet – which eventually became my diet – was much more varied, contained lots of vegetables, fish, and cooked fresh food. Since then, through research and personal experience, I have concluded that most of these modern conditions are down to what we eat (and what we don’t eat!). Food is an amazing healer – more specifically good wholesome food like wholemeal bread, fruits, vegetables, nuts, grains etc. Acid reflux along with so many other diseases (diabetes, high blood pressure, heart attacks) are 21st century diseases bourn as a result of highly processed foods which contains preservatives, additives, sweeteners, colouring, emulsifiers which in contrast to what we’re told, are not safe to consume, especially in the doses that we do.

I’m sure many people in the UK have seen ‘Food Hospital’, and there are ample documentaries elsewhere too (‘Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead’ is my favourite and well recommended!). These in their small ways show the tremendous power of vegetables and good wholesome food.

I used quotes in the titles as I haven’t fully removed the reflux. Instead of it being a daily plague, making me suffer at home and at work, it only crops up once every few months (mainly as a result of experimenting with different foods). Before I couldn’t eat out, now I love trying various restaurants and enjoying good food.

I was in a state of despair a few years ago, and I genuinely believe that a diet of good wholesome food (with lots of vegetables) can help anyone suffering from this condition. The doctors will not tell you this as they haven’t been trained to talk about nutrition (failure in the system sponsored by, if you go further enough down the line, pharmaceutical firms, which are making a killing – literally! – off peoples misery). I know this isn’t the lazy man solution that we’ve all been trained to seek for. No pill taken once a day will cure this. This is a lifestyle change with what I believe in most cases are guaranteed benefits.

The Following User Says Thank You to statistic101 For This Useful Post:
LadySue62 (10-21-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2012, 05:15 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

JanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB User
Re: After 7 years - how I managed to 'cure' my acid reflux

It's good to know changing your diet has helped so much. I already eat a very healthy diet and know what makes my reflux worse. I've tried various regimes and I do know what to avoid. However, I am far from cured.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:48 AM   #3
(female)

dany1982 HB Userdany1982 HB User

for some reason I'm not able to tolerate any fresh fruits or vegetables, everything has to be cooked. fish gives me the worst heartburn, anybody has this problem? also yogurt gives me bad heartburn, and I love yogurt ((

Old 10-17-2012, 10:08 AM   #4
(male)

statistic101 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dany1982 View Post
for some reason I'm not able to tolerate any fresh fruits or vegetables, everything has to be cooked. fish gives me the worst heartburn, anybody has this problem? also yogurt gives me bad heartburn, and I love yogurt ((
I was like that with certain vegetables, I however unwillingly ate them initially out of wanting not to be bad mannered when my wife used them in her cooking. I'm no expert on this, but maybe it's a viscous circle where you need to eat vegetables to get better, but you won't eat vegetables as you're not better. Maybe one way to overcome is to take supplements instead e.g. vitamins, niacin, zinc, magnesium etc. till you're in a well enough state to get these essential minerals directly from the vegetables.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:32 AM   #5
(female)

dany1982 HB Userdany1982 HB User

I can not handle vitamins now, they make me much worse
but I'll try introducing more vegetable into my diet
did you feel like the fresh ones or cooked vegetable helped you more?

Old 10-21-2012, 07:27 AM   #6
(male)

Johnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB User

For many in the 50 age group reflux is a natural process where the esophageal sphincter begins to lose it's ability to tighten properly and stop stomach acid from moving back up the esophagus. Much like other muscles etc. in the body it doesn't work quite so well as when your young. All you can do is watch your diet (this is often very individual as to what foods impact you) , take the drugs to reduce acid, change your lifestyle to accomodate and perhaps sleep on a wedge to get gravity on your side. There is no one cure for many in that situation. May be quite different than for a younger person suffering reflux and stomach issues.

Reflux is a complex issue depends a lot on the individual , lifestyle diet etc..

Old 10-21-2012, 08:53 AM   #7
(female)

LadySue62 HB User

Well said, statistic101! I agree with you that most of our ailments begin with our diet. I am a new sufferer of LPR, and until last May, I thought I could eat anything - and I did! I am 50 years old now and after many years of excessive consumption of coffee, alcohol, chocolate, dairy and spicy foods, my body said ENOUGH! By eliminating these foods (much to my chagrin) I am feeling much better now. I still take 20mg omeprazole before my evening meal, but I'm going to stop that soon. My only remaining symptom is post nasal drip. Prescription drugs are a necessity in some cases, but I urge everyone to take an honest look at their diets and see how they can be improved. I lost 8 lbs just by making those changes. But don't expect immediate results. This condition took time to develop and will take time to heal. Live well, be well! -LS

Reply Reply