It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2012, 12:41 PM   #1
(female)

k9love HB User
Can anyone recommend a wedge pillow?

I cant afford a raised bed but am desperate to try raising my head at night to try to make my reflux better.

Have been looking online at the wedge pillows for sale but reading some reviews they are quite conflicting.

Does anyone use one of these? and whats the best one to get?

Thanks.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:02 PM   #2
(female)

winghall HB User
Re: Can anyone recommend a wedge pillow?

I use bricks to lift up the head end of the bed - 3 layers of brick around 20cm. When I lay down I put more pillows to lift my torso up as well. I would love to have a raised bed but can not afford it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2012, 05:58 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I just raised the head of my bed. A bricks work well. I used a couple bed risers (like used to raise bed up for storage) under the head of my bed. It raised me up about 6 inches.

I don't have a specific brand of wedge to recommend, but you should make sure that whatever you choose comes all the way down towards your hips. You want to keep your body straight between your head and stomach. Some people use short wedges or pillows that raise the head, but end up causing the esophagus to be bent and the stomach to be squished. Those cam make the reflux worse.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:44 AM   #4
(female)

Minx65 HB User

I'm not sure whether there are any rules on advertising here, so I won't include the link itself but just advise you to google 'acid reflux pillow' and you will see a number of them available. The one I got was the premium one in the range of three and it cost a staggering £79.99 (UK origin - very quickly delivered). It meets the criteria mentioned above, in that it helps maintain a straight line from the hips to the head as it's quite long along the base. It's quite comfortable too and has a removable cover, but since I use it under the lower sheet and have another pillow on top of it, that's not really so important.

But, and it's a big 'but', it takes some getting used to, particularly if, like me, you find it difficult to sleep on your back. I prefer to sleep on my side, and the wedge pillow then makes for an unnatural angle for your spine, which if you already have back issues, is unhelpful. I'm still working at trying to remain on my back, but frequently wake up to find I've changed position whilst asleep.

Would I recommend it? Well, I certainly don't regret getting it, though I wish it had been a tad cheaper, given that it's basically just a piece of foam with a cover on it.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
(male)

Johnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB User

I've gotten use to my wedge pillow, went a week in June without it while on a trip and missed it, kinda odd right. Mine comes down quite far , nearly to my waist , it was quite hard to get used to, it is very firm. Cost about $60. I just bought a travel version as we cruise once in a while , it is a blow up one such much less durable and it was $70. Go figure.

Reply Reply