It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2012, 12:48 PM   #1
(male)

Leo255 HB UserLeo255 HB User
I think the Target brand Zantac was making my reflux worse

I bought a bunch if ranitidine from Target last week because I was amazed at the price (almost one third the price of CVS/Walgreens) and I had one of my more severe episodes of reflux/pain over the entire weekend and into today. I took a ton the new meds, and not only were they not working, but I think they were making my reflux worse. Just today, by accident, I took two 75mg doses if ranitidine from CVS and my pain went away. I really don't understand this, but my body doesn't lie. Curious about everyone's thoughts.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:00 AM   #2
(female)

Fantine HB UserFantine HB UserFantine HB UserFantine HB User
Re: I think the Target brand Zantac was making my reflux worse

Lots of people would agree with you that there are significant differences among various generic medications. CVS must be buying a different generic than Target. Ask the pharmacist at CVS which generic manufacturer they are using and try to stick with that one.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fantine For This Useful Post:
Leo255 (10-24-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2012, 03:01 PM   #3
(male)

Leo255 HB UserLeo255 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantine View Post
Lots of people would agree with you that there are significant differences among various generic medications. CVS must be buying a different generic than Target. Ask the pharmacist at CVS which generic manufacturer they are using and try to stick with that one.
Thanks for the reply, that makes a lot of sense. It seems odd when you just say that something with the same chemical composition could possible be different, but that's the case...What's strange is that I'm starting to wonder if the Prilosec I'm taking has (and has been having) a similar effect. The truth of the matter is that I never had the severe burning and piercing pain that I suffer through now before I started with the Prilosec (also had similar experience when I tried Prevacid). It was still horrible, but not as bad/painful - More like the whole burping to clear out reflux, slight regurgitation, (not as bad) chest discomfort, etc.

Sometimes in the morning I feel great, and then I take a Prilosec, and I get a pain that coincides with taking that med. This doesn't always happen, but it does a lot of times. With that said, when I have tried to stop, I still suffer through rebound issues.

Last edited by Leo255; 10-24-2012 at 03:04 PM.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:37 PM   #4
(female)

Fantine HB UserFantine HB UserFantine HB UserFantine HB User

Personally, I have only used Zantac and Protonix 40 mg, and I haven't experimented with other drugs. As for the generics, my doctor told me that there can real differences in the inactive ingredients and the especially the coatings for generic pills, and sometimes that's what creates the problem. Other times, it's just poor quality control.

Reply Reply