It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2012, 04:56 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Sallyz HB User
How long does it take for damage to occur? (LPR)

Hello!
I'm 6 months pregnant and have suffered from LPR for 5 years now. My last endoscopy (a little over a year ago) showed normal everything which was encouraging, yet my nasal scopes always show redness so I do know it's LPR thats bothering me. My official diagnosis is "symptomatic acid reflux" which means the antacid medications help me feel better but my GI tests are normal--except for the one at the ENT--which apparently isn't considered diagnostic around here
Anyway, since becoming pregnant I've been doing 10mg pepcid 3x a day as my OB suggested it was safer for baby which seems to be holding the sore throat at bay but I'm for sure having some breakthrough and today my throat feels awful. I'm thinking of returning to my prevacid (which is ok for pregnancy, just less desirable for me right now). I want to do whats safest for me and baby but I'm worried about doing permanent damage. I'm also mourning the fact that I successfully managed the ppi withdrawel in pregnancy and now feel like I have to go back. Oh well.
Thoughts? Many thanks!

Old 10-24-2012, 12:34 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

JanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB User
Re: How long does it take for damage to occur? (LPR)

My doc says there is no way of know how long it takes. He says some can have reflux for years and have no damage. Others can even be symptomless yet get damage.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2012, 02:55 PM   #3
(male)

Leo255 HB UserLeo255 HB User

It really is impossible to know because one person's acid could be 10 times more severe than another person's.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:34 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I don't think there really is a way to know. I had extremely severe acid reflux for many years (confirmed through testing) and never had any esophageal damage, thank goodness.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:44 AM   #5
(female)

mary86 HB User

I agree with Mountain Reader. I have also been suffering with Acid related problems for years and have no damage to my esophagus. I do however have problems with my throat, voice box, vocal cords, sinus and ears. I've had many tests done (Scopes, Barium sw***ows, Bravo, and 24 Impedance) and I have excessive acid. My ENT and Speech pathologist told me, that my throat looked like "raw meat." I've had numerous symptoms that I had no idea were even related to Gerd/LPR and have been living with for years. I.E. Asthma, chronic cough, loss of voice, etc.

I have become weary of taking meds because they weren't helping me and am opting for Nissen Fundoplication Surgery on the 9th of November. I was on the strongest dose of Dexilant when I stopped taking them for testing reasons. I've only noticed a little more heartburn than I was having with the meds, but not enough to make me start taking them again.

Luckily pregnancy is only 9 months. Good luck with your new baby.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:44 PM   #6
(female)

ItsMeG HB UserItsMeG HB UserItsMeG HB User

Hopefully you find relief soon.
I had very mild heartburn during 2 pregnancies in the 90's and then out of no where it came on with swallowing troubles in late 2010. I suffered without seeking treatment until last December which was only about a year and it resulted in severe damage that led to me having meat get stuck in my esophagus. So I'm one that in a year went from no symptoms to a schatski's ring, hiatal hernia, and more. So I agree with the others, it varies for everyone.

Reply Reply