It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2012, 09:25 PM   #1
(male)

texjew21 HB User
GI gave me Nexium, now everything is worse

My doctor gave me Nexium, and over the past 3 days I've been taking it my symptoms have gotten much worse. I don't have heartburn, just acid regurgitation like crazy and at night it's pretty bad. My throat hurts like crazy and I'm freaking out.

So I talked to the Pharmacist today about this and they said I should try an H2 blocker instead (because I have had stomach problems with other PPI in the past and now Nexium is making things worse). So I just picked up some walgreens generic Ranitidine and I'll see how that goes. But right now the problem is off the wall bad. I had an endoscopy done last week and they didn't find anything but reflux and a small hiatal hernia.

From some research I've noticed that some people take probiotics, specifically acidophilus which can help. Anyone take this? Anyone also have these problems that I am experiencing? The nurse sounded like she thought I was crazy when I told her Nexium was making my problem worse. I told her not to question my intelligence and that I know my body.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:25 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

JanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB User
Re: GI gave me Nexium, now everything is worse

I can't take Nexium due to horrendous side effects.

Gastrointestinal (GI) side effects have included bowel irregularity, aggravated constipation, dyspepsia, dysphagia, dysplasia, epigastric pain, eructation, esophageal disorder, frequent stools, gastroenteritis, GI hemorrhage, rectal disorder, increased appetite, anorexia, ulcerative stomatitis, and vomiting. Pancreatitis has also been reported.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2012, 02:51 PM   #3
(male)

Leo255 HB UserLeo255 HB User
Re: GI gave me Nexium, now everything is worse

Yeah I'm with you...I think Prilosec is making my pain worse. I could swear that if I wake up sometimes in the morning and feel great, and then take a Prilosec, that the pain coincides with taking that medication. This doesn't always happen, but it does a lot of times, definitely enough to notice correlation. But I guess I'm just stupid, because I continue to take it because my doctors say, and because that's what the research tells you is most effective...Not to mention, their standard cop-out, that even if it doesn't work, you have to still take it because it could take weeks to get the full effect.

For you, I would get full strength Zantacs and Pepcid AC's and see which work best for you. Also make sure you find a comfortable position where you're leaning on your left side.

Reply Reply