It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2012, 10:27 AM   #1
(female)

manuf77 HB User
Talking LPR - swallowing issues.

hello! I have been dealing with LPR/Gerd for quite some time.
The first time I got the symptoms was 5-6 years ago and i didn't know what was it. I had breathing issues, swallowing problems, sort of asthma, sleep apnea during night time and a lot of mucous in my throat. I got much better and one day i even actually stopped taking meds. I had a relapse few months ago. I have been started taking Prilosec twice daily (one morning and one night). I know that Prilosec might not be strong enough for this disease, right? I remember that the very first time I had this problem i used Nexium (twice daily).
I don't really have a lot of other problems besides the swallowing. day are better than others. Does anybody has swallowing difficulty? Mine is also bad as I was diagnosed with a narrowed esophagus.
Any suggestions on meds? any comforting words on the swallowing?
Any suggestion on GI or ENT doctors in NJ or NY?
Thanks for your help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
(male)

strifer HB User
Re: LPR - swallowing issues.

Hi. I share most of those symptoms. Post nasal drip, and swallowing difficulty. As I described in my post, the swallowing difficulty is more about getting the food to go down my esophagus rather than the swallowing action itself. I'm curious to know if you could say a little more about your difficulty.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2012, 12:26 AM   #3
(female)

ItsMeG HB UserItsMeG HB UserItsMeG HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuf77 View Post
hello! I have been dealing with LPR/Gerd for quite some time.
The first time I got the symptoms was 5-6 years ago and i didn't know what was it. I had breathing issues, swallowing problems, sort of asthma, sleep apnea during night time and a lot of mucous in my throat. I got much better and one day i even actually stopped taking meds. I had a relapse few months ago. I have been started taking Prilosec twice daily (one morning and one night). I know that Prilosec might not be strong enough for this disease, right? I remember that the very first time I had this problem i used Nexium (twice daily).
I don't really have a lot of other problems besides the swallowing. day are better than others. Does anybody has swallowing difficulty? Mine is also bad as I was diagnosed with a narrowed esophagus.
Any suggestions on meds? any comforting words on the swallowing?
Any suggestion on GI or ENT doctors in NJ or NY?
Thanks for your help!
Hi there! I have used prilosec and it helps with heartburn, but I don't believe ppi's help with swallowing...they don't for me. You were diagnosed with a narrowing in your esophagus, did your doctor mention it needing to be dilated? I had a schatzki's ring that caused narrowing and it had to be dilated. I had it done in January this year and am starting to have swallowing issues again. Have you had a barium swallow which is also called an upper g.i.? Or did you have an endoscopy also called an egd to diagnose the narrowing?

Old 10-26-2012, 05:37 AM   #4
(female)

CoughingStudent HB User

I have experienced very similar problems. My swallowing got REALLY bad a few months ago. Luckily, it was right around the time when my gastroscopy was schedualed, so the doctor dialated my thoat while he was down there. It didn't seem to help at first, but the swallowing is significantly better now (although not perfect). So, that may be an option that you could discuss with your doctor.

Reply Reply