It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2012, 02:38 PM   #1
(male)

vegasgo HB User
What is causing my bloating

After several months of a bloated stomach and sluggish bowel (but no other symptoms), I was referred to a gastro doc who ordered a colonoscopy and upper endoscopy (never again!). Results were;

Small (5cm) sliding hiatal hernia
Moderate reflux gastritis involving the antrum
Diverticulosis

I also had a biopsy for H. Pylori which I am waiting the result of (a blood and stool test in July showed negative for this).

So, after thinking I may have a HH, I've been given a triple whammy. Where do I start to make myself better? In a way I'm king of hoping I do have H. Pylori as the treatment may lead to an overall cure, otherwise I guess I'm looking a change in diet, more fibre etc.

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2012, 07:47 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

catkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB User
Re: What is causing my bloating

Hi Vegasgo! Welcome to the boards. Lot of good advice and feedback here. I am usually on the Fibro board but come here once in a blue as well. I have had all of what you have and eventualy did get rid of the hernia. I also have Barrett's Esophagus which is an area of my Esophagus that has pre-cancer cells.

Not sure what causes the bloating. Never did ask my doc that. I do know that not over eating can keep it at bay a bit. Like they say to eat smaller meals more often instead of 3 meals. As far as my diverticulosis it has been years and really hasn't changed at all. I hope you follow your doc's orders as far as diet, meds, ect. It truly does help. Good luck to you and hope you feel better soon.

Low acid all,

Dx'd with Fibro 2007
Endometriosis
Barret's Esophagus
Gerd
Osteoarthritis
Anxiety Disorder since 1986
IBS
Diverticulosis
High Colesterol
Tachycardia
Depression - Now

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2012, 12:08 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi,
First of all why (never again)!!... I have had four Endoscopys and two Colonoscopys and dont even remember mine after asking for maximum sedation.
My diagnoses was the same as yours, Diverticulitis- HiatalHernia-Gastritis and IBS and I believe its IBS which causes my bloating. Medication has had very little effect and I have my symptoms mainly under control with diet/smaller meals.
Domperidone taken before meals will help with the bloating as it moves food along the digestive track faster.
Look up diet for IBS even if you dont have it and it may help as a lot of these stomach issues are very similar,
Good Luck,

Solofelix.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:12 PM   #4
(male)

vegasgo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by solofelix View Post
Hi,
First of all why (never again)!!... I have had four Endoscopys and two Colonoscopys and dont even remember mine after asking for maximum sedation.
My diagnoses was the same as yours, Diverticulitis- HiatalHernia-Gastritis and IBS and I believe its IBS which causes my bloating. Medication has had very little effect and I have my symptoms mainly under control with diet/smaller meals.
Domperidone taken before meals will help with the bloating as it moves food along the digestive track faster.
Look up diet for IBS even if you dont have it and it may help as a lot of these stomach issues are very similar,
Good Luck,

Solofelix.
Why never again? I was literally given my first sedation dose seconds before the camera went down my throat, it was agony, felt everything. The colonoscopy wasn't much better even with extra sedation. I guess they did not give me enough, I was screaming for them to take it out, I only fell asleep when it was all over.

Forgive my ignorance, but isn't IBS a term used when they can't find anything medically wrong with you? I always thought IBS was for people with poor diets.

I will of course follow a strict diet and whatever meds my docs gives me - I hope the bloating goes down soon. It actually gets worse the less I eat, I think maybe I have too little stomach acid. I even fasted for 48 hours recently and I ballooned up even more.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:30 AM   #5
(male)

vegasgo HB User

I got my biopsy results back - all clear, so I don't have H.Pylori. Any suggestions for the best course of action? Thanks.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

catkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB User

Hi Vegasgo! I have been taking the Domperidone that Solofelix mentioned above. I have to say that within 3 doses my bloating had subsided. I actually was quite amazed after having felt bloated for over ten yrs. The drug is not FDA approved in the U.S. yet so my doc called in a script for me into a compound medicine shop. I am also taking 2 different PPI's but as I had said in my earlier post I have Barrett's Esophagus so pushing acid before eating and getting rid of it after eating. Crazy but trying to avoid surgery.
Pretty much all I can suggest is small meals, watch your grease and spices and never eat before lying down. Always eat 3 hours before bed and raise your bed 6 inches so the acid stays down. Acid coming up through the Esophagus is what causes the Barrett's. I hope this helps a bit. And I would look for a different Doc. One who is going to be sensitive to your needs when it comes to the endo's and colon scopes. I've had many of both due to cancer scares and had no memory of the procedure itself as well. Keep us posted on your journey and hope things get settled for you soon.

Low acid all,

Dx'd with Fibro 2007
Endometriosis
Barret's Esophagus
Gerd
Osteoarthritis
Anxiety Disorder since 1986
IBS
Diverticulosis
High Colesterol
Tachycardia
Depression - Now

Old 11-07-2012, 05:37 AM   #7
(female)

sealbeachluvr HB Usersealbeachluvr HB Usersealbeachluvr HB User

Yes,, Apple Cider Vinegar - it saved My life!!

Reply Reply