It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2012, 07:26 PM   #1
(female)

CoughingStudent HB User
Reflux Episode? Help!

So, as I've mentioned before, I suspect I have LPR and have doctors appointment schedualed for next month. Tonight, the wierdest, grossest and scarriest thing happened to me. I believe it was reflux but am not positive. Basically, stuff just came up into my mouth...and at first I thought I was like sick with the stomach bug (it definately tasted like vomit). But my stomach feels ok (I think it just hurts a little now because I am freaking out) and nothing else has happened.

Is this a symptom associated with LPR? Should I be worried that it will happen again?

Old 10-26-2012, 05:57 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

catkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB User
Re: Reflux Episode? Help!

I have had acid reflux for many years (35). I now have Barrett's Esophagus. I have had many episodes while sleeping and the acid comes up into my mouth. Usually I will inhale it and spit some up at the same time. I have fibromyalgia and my sleep meds usually keep me from feeling this happening until I awake coughing from aspirating the acid into my lungs. I have seen a new GI and am on a new regimen of ppi's to try and keep this from happening. My diet and and Nexium had stopped working. It's difficult to stay awake 3 hours after eating while taking pain meds so he has put me on one medication that makes my stomach provide more acid for digesting quicker after I eat. Hopefully this will hold the the Barrett's back a bit. I am glad you have an appointment with a doctor soon in the mean time I would raise the head of your about 6 inches or use more pillows to keep your upper body raised. This will help keep the acid in your belly.
Good luck and keep us all posted.

Low pain all,

Dx'd with Fibro 2007
Endometriosis
Barret's Esophagus
Gerd
Osteoarthritis
Anxiety Disorder since 1986
IBS
Diverticulosis
High Colesterol
Tachycardia
Depression - Now

The Following User Says Thank You to catkaru For This Useful Post:
CoughingStudent (10-26-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2012, 08:09 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Millard HB UserMillard HB UserMillard HB UserMillard HB User

Hello CoughingS,

I am wondering how many times this has happened. I have both GERD and LPR. If I overeat, especially something like tossed salad, I will sometimes "reflux" some of this back up. It does not taste like vomit, actually there is no after taste. I take Prilosec 40 mg daily for prevention of both diseases. If I do not take Prilosec, then the acid gets into the esophagus. It feels something like I swallowed something very hot. Later, it will come up the esophagus and burn severely. Taking Tums or Rolaids offer absolutely no relief.

If this happened only once, then it's possibly just a short lived intestinal virus.

Good luck with your testing.

Millard

Old 10-26-2012, 08:21 AM   #4
(female)

CoughingStudent HB User

Thanks to both of you for your replys!

catkaru: what concerned me was that this didn't happen while I was sleeping. I was sitting at my desk (about an hour after finishing dinner) and it just happened. You said you have acid coming up, does it ever have other stuff in it? Maybe this was because I had just eaten? Yes, the pillow is such an excellent idea! I have been sleeping of multiple pillows for several months and I no longer experience heartburn at night!

Millard: this has never happened to me before...although I have occasionally burped and felt stuff kind of "splash" up into my nose/mouth area and sometimes feel stuff come up into my throat. But I have never had actual pieces of something come up into my mouth. (sorry for the rather gross description!) It's interesting that you mentioned the burning feeling like swallowing something hot. I always assumed this was heartburn, but recently found out this is not what heartburn should feel like. What exactly do you call that? Is it associated with LPR?

Reply Reply