It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2012, 05:33 AM   #1
(male)

sgtrock HB User
Acid Rebound and weight loss

I know it has been awhile since I posted on my experience with acid rebound it has been an unbelievable experience but I had to quit searching for information for it was driving me insane...anyway I am in week 13 since I went back on nexium 40mgs (zantac75/pepcid/apple cider & honey) I am down to 225lbs from 300lbs...I usually maintained a wgt. 275-280lbs (heavy exercised)....my doctor was estactic at first with the wgt. loss and it was because I had no appetite (eating small meals mostly chicken soup, tuna, bland cereal, NO SWEETS or SODAS) I feel like the last several weeks my appetite has come back and I am eating better and now I can tolerate protein shakes and meal replacements liquids but still cautious in what I eat. My symptoms have diminished alot in these weeks but I am still weak and I rest alot but find I can do some exercise but if I over do I pay the price the next several days...now my Doctor is concerned about the weight loss although he says my wgt. should be under 200lbs..I had every kind of test done no cancer which I have worried about...I guess I am asking if this acid rebound can cause this kind of weight loss...I am in new territory and I am hoping next month to see my Gastro doctor to discuss getting off this Nexium but I know I have to be better I don't think I could go through this 6 months of thinking I was dying! Thanks

Old 10-27-2012, 07:00 AM   #2
(female)

Shelley5716 HB UserShelley5716 HB UserShelley5716 HB User
Re: Acid Rebound and weight loss

Glad to hear ur feeling some better ... I too went thru the weight loss because I couldnt eat ... thankfully my appetite is back up also ... hope u continue to get better until the day u wake up and realize, its gone!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Shelley5716 For This Useful Post:
sgtrock (11-09-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2012, 02:44 PM   #3
(female)

jojokdz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtrock View Post
I know it has been awhile since I posted on my experience with acid rebound it has been an unbelievable experience but I had to quit searching for information for it was driving me insane...anyway I am in week 13 since I went back on nexium 40mgs (zantac75/pepcid/apple cider & honey) I am down to 225lbs from 300lbs...I usually maintained a wgt. 275-280lbs (heavy exercised)....my doctor was estactic at first with the wgt. loss and it was because I had no appetite (eating small meals mostly chicken soup, tuna, bland cereal, NO SWEETS or SODAS) I feel like the last several weeks my appetite has come back and I am eating better and now I can tolerate protein shakes and meal replacements liquids but still cautious in what I eat. My symptoms have diminished alot in these weeks but I am still weak and I rest alot but find I can do some exercise but if I over do I pay the price the next several days...now my Doctor is concerned about the weight loss although he says my wgt. should be under 200lbs..I had every kind of test done no cancer which I have worried about...I guess I am asking if this acid rebound can cause this kind of weight loss...I am in new territory and I am hoping next month to see my Gastro doctor to discuss getting off this Nexium but I know I have to be better I don't think I could go through this 6 months of thinking I was dying! Thanks
Hello I have been on here endlessly trying to find answers too about my problems. I have Gerd/IBS and anxiety. Have had all of these for many years! I have flare ups but about 7 weeks ago, something here at home caused my anxiety to go off the charts!! then the digestive system went nuts! I got nausea, constipated, no appetite, lost 25 pounds, weak, depressed , no matter what I ate it hurt.. I was getting pain in the middle and to the left under my breast.. and rumbling in the upper part of my stomach.. went to the ER 2x in the past month.. had xrays of my stomach and intestines, chest xray, bloodwork, EKG.. and stress test, echo, just showed gas and the constipation... I am afraid to eat.. I eat as bland as I can, take prilosec 40 mg a day and gas x for gas.. but I am afraid of the cancer thing too. I did think I was dying.. I still have off and on symptoms but not as bad as it was.. anxiety does not help with this either.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:21 PM   #4
(female)

jorama HB User

Hello, I have been having problems with my stomach for several weeks. The burning in my stomach and throat are horrible. I have weakness and weight loss cause I cant eat much. I lost 7lbs in 3 weeks. I am so afraid of what this might be and I know that it makes my symtoms worse. I had a sonogram and will not know the results till Wednesday. I am living in total fear. I think it might be my gallbladder and I am so afraid of the upcoming tests they might want to give me. I too think I am dying. I am glad I found this website to vent, I feel so alone.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:01 AM   #5
(female)

jojokdz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelley5716 View Post
Glad to hear ur feeling some better ... I too went thru the weight loss because I couldnt eat ... thankfully my appetite is back up also ... hope u continue to get better until the day u wake up and realize, its gone!!!
Is it normal to have a gerd flare up last lasts months?? I have actual pain not heartburn as much.. I used to just have the heartburn and discomfort but now I get pain.. From reading (which can be a good thing and a very bad thing) ppl get severe chest pains that send them to the ER. I unfortunately have the IBS that goes with the Gerd so my digestive system goes into overload when my stress goes crazy! I lost weight, appetite is back but still afraid to eat.. I did have NORMAL food the other nite and found out it isn't gonna happen?

Old 11-12-2012, 08:17 AM   #6
(male)

Johnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB User

Think most of us who suffer gerd or LPR go thru a period of weight loss. To have an impact on the symptoms you have to change your diet, because it is all magnified by time you reach out to a doctor it takes a while to get these symptoms under control. That means a lot less calories usually, after all it was probably in part too many calories that got you here.

I am not heavy at all and lost about 10% of my bodyweight initially, now the symptoms are reduced with PPI's, lifestyle etc. seven months after the original diagnosis I am putting some of that weight back on. Think that is normal. Will I ever be back to where I was weight wise , not likely , there are so many foods that are calorie rich that I have to avoid. Alcohol avoidance is a big influence on calories consumed, sugar etc..

Old 11-12-2012, 08:25 AM   #7
(female)

jojokdz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojokdz View Post
Is it normal to have a gerd flare up last lasts months?? I have actual pain not heartburn as much.. I used to just have the heartburn and discomfort but now I get pain.. From reading (which can be a good thing and a very bad thing) ppl get severe chest pains that send them to the ER. I unfortunately have the IBS that goes with the Gerd so my digestive system goes into overload when my stress goes crazy! I lost weight, appetite is back but still afraid to eat.. I did have NORMAL food the other nite and found out it isn't gonna happen?
I just can't imagine how you can have so much pain, and discomfort and anxiety with Gerd/IBS and it not to be something really bad.. thats where I am right now.. stressing over this and I know this adds to my problems.. my Ibs is bad too.. when one gets bad it affects the other.. I am truly a mess.. Yes I put myself where I am.. I am overweight, and didn't take this seriously enough.. but I am surely doing it now.. I for about 4 weeks couldn't eat anything without it causing pain!!! now after that, I am able to eat tiny meals and only certain things.. still constipated.. Just hope everyday I wake up its going to be gone... thanks for responding...

Old 11-12-2012, 08:29 AM   #8
(female)

jojokdz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorama View Post
Hello, I have been having problems with my stomach for several weeks. The burning in my stomach and throat are horrible. I have weakness and weight loss cause I cant eat much. I lost 7lbs in 3 weeks. I am so afraid of what this might be and I know that it makes my symtoms worse. I had a sonogram and will not know the results till Wednesday. I am living in total fear. I think it might be my gallbladder and I am so afraid of the upcoming tests they might want to give me. I too think I am dying. I am glad I found this website to vent, I feel so alone.
it surely sounds like Acid Reflux. Talk to your Dr about something you can take to help with it.. Nausea is a symptom of Acid reflux. I had my gallbladder out 20 yrs ago. Hopefully your sonogram will be fine. If it is, the Dr. will go from there and maybe put you on something to help with the heartburn.. it will burn up into your throat.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:37 AM   #9
(female)

jorama HB User

I got my sonogram results and I do have a gallstone. I am trying to eat now and still have the same symptoms but less severe except I have chest tightness and severe anxiety and weakness. I feel like my insides are shaking and I dont know what that is. This is such a nightmare!

Reply Reply