It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2012, 05:57 PM   #1
(female)

xxfallingstar HB User
My Acid reflux/asthma/anxiety and swallowing problems cycle

So it's been years since I've had a swallowing problem, since 2007 to be exact. I've developed allergic asthma in the process, don't know if that's connected, but I got it, plus on top of that I've been dealing with anxiety since my dad's suicide, it all started back in 2007.

However, I'm off meds for like a year now, but still have problems swallowing even though all test showed everything correct, gastroscopy, endoscopy, barium swallow...

I changed my diet drastically, 1st year of my GERD i ate only pudding daily, nothing else, just puddings, i lost 15 kilos or so, thankfully i had some fat so I didn't look to skinny, but my jeans went from 38/40 to 36 now...reason for that was also my anxiety, i kept thinking about 'how food will go down' i remember an evening just trying to eat a toast, i panicked that it got stuck, thats how bad it was.

thankfully later on it got better, i was able to eat solids again, at least to some extent, back to bread and most of foods, but still gummy bears or meat other than chicken or tuna fish I wouldnt eat. Meatballs had to go bye bye for me, so did mcdonalds hamburgers, because once that meat got stuck in my throat, i rushed to ER only to hear 'there's nothing there' but I felt it. Go figure.

However, I began to eat again, even hamburgers later, but swallowing worry/problem never went away, I always ate with a bit of fear and slow.

Then it got so bad i feared to eat when home alone, still do. and when i thought its getting better, now few weeks ago it started again my problems. less severe, but my problem now is when i eat, i keep pushing food along with saliva back to front with tongue when it goes in the back in scare that i have to chew it some more and i make those sounds you know when you stick tongue to your upper wall of mouth and that sound is made? i keep doing that and hacking food back to front to chew more and it irritates me so much, and my family members too, but if i dont do it I feel like i'll choke and a piece doesnt go down smooth, specially eating my favorite sausage with a bagel.

and when you'd think problems are over, I got post nasal drip which makes me cough and snorking/spiting saliva every few min or so, its very annoying and then also TONSIL STONES, it all comes back to those somehow, feeling of food getting stuck in particular...

I was wondering maybe my problem could be that gerd returned? since for a few weeks i ate and went to sleep in afternoon, shortly after, like a few minutes after, could that be the culprit for repeated problems?

Anoyne experiencing same/similar problems?

Last edited by xxfallingstar; 10-26-2012 at 06:27 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Kaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB User
Re: My Acid reflux/asthma/anxiety and swallowing problems cycle

It sounds to me like you're having a lot of anxiety over eating/choking... those obsessive thoughts (I mustn't eat when I'm alone or I might choke to death, only this food or that food are 'safe' to eat, etc.) are pure anxiety. There is at least some reality to your problem swallowing - anxiety tightens your muscles including your throat, and makes your mouth dry, and the longer you chew your food the harder it actually gets to swallow it because all the moisture goes out of it and down your throat. Have you tried sipping lots of water with your meals? It wouldn't hurt to take a sip of water after every bite or so to help wash it down...

Reply Reply