It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2012, 04:08 PM   #1
(female)

winghall HB User
To Acid reflux and LPR suffers

I just wonder if you guys are working or staying at home. I sometimes want to stay home to relax but working seems to take my mind of the problem and symptoms. I sometimes get torn between the two. I notice if I dwell on the symptoms so much it seems to get worse. I am taking PPI (Nexium) but of course it only alleviates the rough edges.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:08 AM   #2
(male)

Johnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB User
Re: To Acid reflux and LPR suffers

I'm retired and try not to not focus too much on it. Your right being busy at work or doing other things is helpful. Anxiety can make reflux worse so sitting and thinking about it isn't helping. Learned a lot hanging around here the last few months but do need to limit time on the internet researching health issues, can drive yourself nutty. I'm sure there are a lot of doctors out there who would agree with that as well

I've pretty much come the acceptance that I may well have a chronic condition and will treat it as such. No point letting it getting in the way of getting on with life.

FWIW I use Gaviscon after lunch and dinner and find it helps a lot with reducing my symptoms. Trouble is I get feeling good and forget to use it. It is helpful though, my be a good addition to your Nexium.

Last edited by Johnah; 10-28-2012 at 11:10 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2012, 03:40 PM   #3
(female)

CoughingStudent HB User

Yes, I have suffered from a reflux related cough for 10 months now, and I notice that when I am out and about I am able to "control" the cough a little better. This is just because it's embarasing to have to cough all the time and, also, I think it just keeps my mind off of it. The exception to this though, if when I am eating or excersising. I am in college, so I almost always eat in my dorm room and away from others...and I don't go to the gym with friends (so, eventhough I am hacking away like crazy....i just don't care what other people think). It's not like being in public takes my symptoms away or anything...but it gives me something else to focus on. Hope this helps!

Old 10-29-2012, 02:46 PM   #4
(female)

Niki1980 HB UserNiki1980 HB User

Johnah - Do you take the Gaviscon right after you have eaten or do you wait a bit? I have tried the PPI's and they just stop me from digesting so I am currently taking Pepcid AC once a day.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:09 AM   #5
(male)

Johnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB User

I generally have a large glass of water with my meal and take the Gaviscon right after. It has to have some fluid to float on to do it's job, if you eat without much liquid it can't really do what it is supposed to. Usually I take 3-4 of the Gaviscon extra strength tablets.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:38 AM   #6
(female)

Minx65 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnah View Post
I generally have a large glass of water with my meal and take the Gaviscon right after. It has to have some fluid to float on to do it's job, if you eat without much liquid it can't really do what it is supposed to. Usually I take 3-4 of the Gaviscon extra strength tablets.
Do you find that Gaviscon makes you constipated Johnah? I've avoided it because I've heard it can, and also because a significant part of the product range contains Aspartame, which gives me colossal headaches. But I contacted Gaviscon and they've recommended a line that doesn't have Aspartame, but I still feel a bit nervous about the other side effect.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:51 AM   #7
(male)

I don't use the Gaviscon that has aspartame in it. The tablets I take say they have sugar and Sorbitol in it but not how much. Now I know from chewing gum with Sorbitol that it actually is almost like a laxative for me and I get stomach pains from it. However I don't seem to get that with Gaviscon? Don't know why. Not sure why they use natural sugar and a sweetener like Sorbitol in the same tablet, makes no sense to me.

I drink the occasional soft drink with Aspartame and don't seem to have an issue with it but don't think I have ever used Gaviscon with it. I notice they mention their liquids are sugar free , not sure if that means no sweetener or not . I had it once , a bottle of it , sure didn't taste like it had a sweetener. May have to read that label next time I'm in the store.

Last edited by Johnah; 10-30-2012 at 08:52 AM.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:04 AM   #8
(female)

Minx65 HB User

I've usually found out (the hard way) that when the label says 'sugar free' it means there's Aspartame in it. Quite often I'll get a splitting headache for no apparent reason, and then when I go rummaging for the can or wrapper I'll find it says aspartame.

With a lot of the drugs for GERD it says on the leaflets 'may cause constipation or diarrhoea'. I always find that strange, surely it should be one or the other. But unfailingly, for me, it's the former. Grrr!

Old 10-30-2012, 10:44 AM   #9
(female)

Niki1980 HB UserNiki1980 HB User

Thank you Johnah. I will try this today!

Old 10-30-2012, 11:11 AM   #10
(female)

yolee HB User

Jonah,
Are you able to eat what you want with the gaviscon or do you stay on a bland diet? I just ordered some and hope it helps

Old 10-31-2012, 07:45 AM   #11
Veteran
(male)

kevinla HB Userkevinla HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minx65 View Post
Do you find that Gaviscon makes you constipated Johnah? I've avoided it because I've heard it can, and also because a significant part of the product range contains Aspartame, which gives me colossal headaches. But I contacted Gaviscon and they've recommended a line that doesn't have Aspartame, but I still feel a bit nervous about the other side effect.

Are you referring to Gaviscon Advance that is available in the UK?

I started taking it a few months ago and am constipated now. I was wondering if it was related.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:29 AM   #12
(female)

Minx65 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinla View Post
Are you referring to Gaviscon Advance that is available in the UK?

I started taking it a few months ago and am constipated now. I was wondering if it was related.
Hi Kevinla, I'm not aware that any particular line in the Gaviscon product range is better or worse than others, so far as constipation goes. There certainly seem to be plenty of threads on the internet about Gaviscon causing constipation in infants, but I've no personal experience of any particular product in the line. I think it probably affects people differently. Sorry I can't help.

Reply Reply