It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2012, 06:29 AM   #1
(male)

Johnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB User
Baclofen , Gaba-B antagonists anyone tried?

We have had some discussions on another thread of using Baclofen a Gaba-b antagonist for LPR Symptoms. I just recently got my GI doc to write a prescription for it so am about to try it and will share my experience.

Apparently this drug has an impact on the nervous system that can help to reduce the esophageal sphincter opening when it shouldn't, perhaps some other effects.

Anyone who has had some experience with this drug or other Gaba-b drugs please provide some input. How did it work for you , side effects etc..

On the other thread here a allergist has helped us to understand how it works for LPR and his experience with it. Not for everyone with GERD or reflux but for some of us where PPI's don't work it may be helpful. Typically those are LPR sufferers. Here is that other thread for those interested:

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/acid-reflux-gerd/825151-lpr-something-else-falsely-being-treated-acid-reflux-probably-19.html

Last edited by Johnah; 10-30-2012 at 06:49 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2012, 09:25 AM   #2
(male)

Johnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB User
Re: Baclofen , Gaba-B antagonists anyone tried?

Been a couple of weeks on Baclofen now and I do think it helps. Not a miracle cure but does seem to reduce my symptoms. It is actually a muscle relaxer and seems to assist in keeping the esophageal sphincter tighter. Also think it has some impact on anxiety which can impact gerd. What I do like about it vs Xanax or other Benzodiazepines is that it does not have the addictive qualities which with long term use can be a issue. I am on 10mg 2X per day.

First couple of days I felt a little tired from it, almost like having a beer or two but that went away. Do find it seems to help me sleep better although I am not a great sleeper. Have always lived on 6 max 7 hrs of sleep or less.

I am still taking PPI's and the occasional Pepcid as a supplement. Still have to watch my diet and sleep on a wedge.

My GI doc was aware of the use of Baclofen with GERD/LPR and thought it worth a try. Clinical studies of it indicate thru PH monitoring tests it reduces the episodes of acid getting past the esophageal sphincter by about half. Maybe longer term I see better results ... I will follow up with more updates. So far though I think it has been fairly positive.

Last edited by Johnah; 11-12-2012 at 09:28 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply