It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2012, 12:55 PM   #1
(male)

Leo255 HB UserLeo255 HB User
Question to those who had Nissen: How often do you have complications?

Each day that passes (and with the endless reflux and pain that I experience), I'm more convinced that I need to have this surgery...With that said, I'm very worried about some of those post-surgical complications/problems that everyone is so familiar with, and that they hear about all the time. Specifically, those are the inability to burp or throw-up (i.e. "Gas-bloat syndrome") and the problems that something like that would cause, as well as the problems that some people have with food going down, and getting stuck in the middle of their esophagus. Obviously, there are more "problems" and complications (i.e. maybe there's still reflux) that can occur, but I'm really wondering how often these things come up to those who have already had this surgery.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:44 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

JanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB User
Re: Question to those who had Nissen: How often do you have complications?

I've had the Nissens. It has left me with permanent swallowing problems and I still suffer and take medication. I wish I hadn't had it done.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2012, 07:51 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Question to those who had Nissen: How often do you have complications?

I"d have the surgery again in a heartbeat. My symptoms were extremely severe though so it was really necessary in my case since the reflux had created life threatening breathing issues for me.

I'd say the "side effects" were worst during the first months after the surgery. As the swelling subsides in the stomach things do get better. I'm always careful with what I eat. For example, I cut my meat in smaller bites than I used to and I'm careful to chew my food until it breaks down. That said, I didn't have much problem with food getting "stuck". If it does "stick", it does work its ways down though and doesn't cause problems other than a bit of temporary discomfort. The worst thing for me was when I first tried eating angel food cake. It doesn't break down well when chewed. I had some issues with nausea at first that were uncomfortable. I just got a standing prescription for anti-nausea meds. I did have a bad stomach bug about a year after surgery and believe me it is possible to vomit if you absolutely have to. Other times, I have nausea, but it does eventually pass.

You absolutely need to have a Manometry done before surgery to make sure you have good esophageal motility. If you don't, the surgery isn't a great choice for you because of the swallowing issues.

Other things to think about: Have you had pH testing to confirm the severity of your reflux? Have you tried lifestyle changes already? Have you tried all other non-invasive medical options available to you?

Reply Reply