It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2012, 08:03 AM   #1
(male)

anfieldkid HB User
Acid Reflux side effects

Hi

I went to see an ENT he stuck a long tube down my nose into my throat and said I have acid reflux.

He put me on medication for 6 weeks. Is this period too long?

Drug name: Omeprezaole 20mg

He said I take 1 tablet before breakfast and 1 tablet before supper and to sit upright after eating. Is that correct to way to things?

What side effects can one expect to experience? Ive just come off anti-anxiety tablets and beta blockers(which may have caused the Acid reflux) and some of the side effects I experienced from that was a dry mouth, shortness of breath, weakness.

What can i expect from this drug? Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2012, 04:09 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

JanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB User
Re: Acid Reflux side effects

I have to take tablets all the time and have been taking them for years. You might not get any side effects. I don't get anything from the lansoprazole that I take. With omeprazole I get insomnia.

The Following User Says Thank You to JanaJ For This Useful Post:
anfieldkid (11-01-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2012, 01:47 PM   #3
(male)

anfieldkid HB User

The doctor said I should take 20mg before breakfast and 20mg before dinner.

I have just come off beta-blockers and anti-anxiety tablets that I was on for 3 weeks and am still suffering from some of the side effects that come with those 10 days later.

So I was thinking maybe I should just do 20mg a day, what you think? How long before it kicks in? The doctor said I shudnt take it for more than 4-6 weeks.

Thanks

Old 11-02-2012, 11:49 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB User

You may not get any side effects, but since the worst side effects can occur when you try to stop taking it, think about whether you really need it. Maybe you could give yourself longer to see if some of what you experieced was caused by the other drugs (which can cause reflux) and maybe you won't need to take omeprazole. Try some of the alternative remedies first maybe. You still have the option to take the drug if you feel you need to.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:11 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

i just went thru the same thing he tried me on nexium at first but it gave me terrible stomach aches so today he changed it to pantoprazole extended release. but I have terrible nausea/vomiting associated w/ my reflux so I have to take something. one thing I wanted to say you have to be careful reflux can damage your esophagus not sure which stage you have (mine is stage 3) that depends on how high it comes up the throat. my mom went untreated for years and now has narrowing of the esophagus (she's 96) and has to be really careful when eating as to not to choke. it can develop scar tissue in there too.

you can also try changing your diet to help it along. Cathy

Old 11-04-2012, 03:35 PM   #6
(male)

anfieldkid HB User

Okay.

Currently I am not taking the omeprazole 20mg twice a day yet.

I called the ENT and he said to give it another week as it may have been a side effect of the beta blockers so I am going to him again on Wednesday where he will decide whether Its a neccesity or not.

I was just wandering a couple things are these typical with having acid reflux:

1. Sore throat
2. Nausea after eating
3. Feel like throwing up
4. Dry Mouth
5. Difficulty swallowing
6. Excessive Saliva

Thanks, if any of the above are NOT a symptom please advise thanks

Old 11-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Hi yeah you hit them all for me except I can get the nausea before I eat
Try elevating ur head 6 in at nite, don't eat after 6ish, eat small meals several times a day. I've been reading and reading. There are also ginger teas.
Chewing gum is supposed to help. Cathy

Reply Reply