It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012, 09:44 AM   #1
(female)

margie t HB User
Smile Manometry

hi, I have had 3 endoscopies the last one done was in july of this year, the dr told me before I had the last one if this does not work I would have to get a esophageal manometry done, has anyone here had this done and if so do I have to have someone to accompany me to get this done or can I go alone?

Old 11-02-2012, 08:02 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Manometry

I've had 2 manometries done. Unless your doctor has a different policy, you really don't need anyone else with you. They will put a bit of something in your nostril to numb it a bit and spray some stuff to the back of your throat to numb as well. They will then put the probe up your nose and down your throat. They give you a straw to use to swallow water during that part so the probe goes down with your swallow, making it easier on the gag reflex. They then take their measurements, then pull the probe out. All quick and easy. I had mine done in conjunction with 2 of my pH tests.

It is good information to see how well your esophageal sphincters are working.

I've had 3 endoscopies done as well. They are very different experiences from the Manometries I had.

Good luck.

The following user gives a hug of support to MountainReader:
margie t (11-03-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to MountainReader For This Useful Post:
margie t (11-03-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2012, 08:35 AM   #3
(female)

margie t HB User

Hi Mountain Reader youi said you had manometries done did it find if your esophagus was opening an closing? The reason I am asking I am having problems now again with the food seeming to go down throat and laying at the top of my esophagus. thanks

Old 11-03-2012, 10:03 AM   #4
(female)

margie t HB User

Hi, when you geot the manometry test done did they find out what was wrong with your esophagus and did you have food stopping at the top of your esophagus?

Old 11-03-2012, 10:07 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

The Manometry will measure the pressure from your lower and upper esophageal sphincters to see how well they are opening and closing. It can also help determine esophageal motility. It sounds like it is a good next step for you.

The other testing which I found extremely useful was a modified Barium Swallow and Esophagram. It is basically a video x-ray which shows everything from your chewing and swallowing to what happens when everything hits your stomach.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:43 AM   #6
(female)

margie t HB User

Hi, I had the barium many years ago that was how it was diagnosed that I had acid reflux I almost choked drinking the medicine, WHat I want to know did you get your diagnosis with the manometry and if so what else did gastroenterologist do for you, I am only asking because I want to get to the bottom of the food getting stuck going down to my esophagus.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:35 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

My issue was extreme "silent" reflux. The Manometries and Barium Swallows that I did over the course of several years confirmed that I had severe reflux issues and that my lower esophageal sphincter wasn't closing properly.

If it is a motility issue, the manometry should be helpful for you. How long ago was your Barium Swallow? It should have shown your swallowing issues as well.

I tried a lot of things over the years for my problems, eventually, I had a Nissen Fundoplication. It isn't a surgery recommended for people with motility issues though.

Hopefully someone else on this board will be able to help you out.

The Following User Says Thank You to MountainReader For This Useful Post:
margie t (11-04-2012)
Reply Reply