It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 02:38 PM   #1
(female)

wendya2J HB User
How quickly do your symptoms start after eating?

HI!

So, Im currently being treated with Dexilant 60mg, 2x/day and gavescon liquid as I need it (usually 2-3x/day). I am trying to introduce some foods back into my diet. Today I tried non fat vanilla greek yoghurt - started getting heartburn/chest pain about 15 minutes after eating and still have it now about 3 hours later. Im really discouraged!!!!

How quickly do you know if something doesnt agree with you?

How did you introduce foods back into your diet to know if they were safe for you to eat?

I just cant figure out a consistancy to this!

Thanks, Wendy

Old 11-03-2012, 03:42 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Stretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB User
Re: How quickly do your symptoms start after eating?

What kind of pain are you getting? Burning radiating pain ? Or sharp or dull pain in one or more spots? If you continue to get pain after eating and for long periods you might want to think of getting checked for a hiatal Hernia these can cause a lot of issue for people who have them shortly after eating and for some time after.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2012, 03:49 PM   #3
(female)

wendya2J HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch1one View Post
What kind of pain are you getting? Burning radiating pain ? Or sharp or dull pain in one or more spots? If you continue to get pain after eating and for long periods you might want to think of getting checked for a hiatal Hernia these can cause a lot of issue for people who have them shortly after eating and for some time after.
Its more of an uncomfortableish, burning feeling - sometimes between my shoulder blades radiating to my right shoulder blade...and sometimes it is kind of the space between my stomach and the back of my throat.

I have had an upper endoscopy, CT scan, HIDA scan, swallow study, abdominal ultrasound....would it have shown up in any of those? They all looked good except some tiny gallstones, not perfect emptying of my gallbladder, mild gastritis and GERD.

What do you think? How long do others feel discomfort after they eat something???

Old 11-03-2012, 05:25 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Stretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB User

My HH was found during a CT scan of my abdomen and not during a my upper GI from what I understand I think they would have fund it during the procedures you have had only tricking thing my general surgeon told me was they can slid in and out so can be sometimes tricky to find and any procedure. As for your discomfort after I can only speak for my exp. I can remember times back some years that I had burning pain in many different places while at work on the late shift and thinking what's going on I'm in pretty good shape for a older guy my job then was very physical is this heartburn r what?!?! Drove me nuts of course at some point it settles down (sometimes) and you fall asleep and a new day starts and it starts all over again at one point I was on 2x a day PPI don't recall which one at that time been on so many along with Zantac 2x a day along with gaviscon or Malox it just seemed out of control. So I don't think the discomfort you are exp is in common at least it was not for me.it has taken what seems like forever to get mine under control.how or why it's under control is way to long of a story but for atleast a short time in my life it's under control. Still take PPIs I'm resolve to the fact that they are my friend not my enemy and will be on them until IDK maybe forever.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stretch1one For This Useful Post:
Flozy (11-04-2012), wendya2J (11-03-2012)
Old 11-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #5
(female)

dany1982 HB Userdany1982 HB User

Yogurt gives me bad heartburn even on ppis, so does milk, cheese, fish ( go figure, everybody says they are good for heartburn)
I usually get it right away within 5-10 minutes and it sticks with me for a couple of hours. I take carafate, maalox, gaviscon or tums when it gets really bad on top of the ppis.

The Following User Says Thank You to dany1982 For This Useful Post:
wendya2J (11-04-2012)
Old 11-04-2012, 05:02 PM   #6
(female)

wendya2J HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dany1982 View Post
Yogurt gives me bad heartburn even on ppis, so does milk, cheese, fish ( go figure, everybody says they are good for heartburn)
I usually get it right away within 5-10 minutes and it sticks with me for a couple of hours. I take carafate, maalox, gaviscon or tums when it gets really bad on top of the ppis.
Thank you so much for saying that!!! I was wondering if it could come on that fast - that is whats happening to me!!! Im still having a really tough time figuring out what will work!! Im so afraid to try things!!!!

Old 11-04-2012, 05:55 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

You might want to consider a different PPI I know with me depending on which one i was one wold not agree with certain foods my Doctor did not agree but let's be serious this is almost like a new phenomenon there is something effecting The mass population doctors have just not figure out how to control it yet something is causing heartburn and reflux in so many millions of people.i use to take Protonix as a PPI years like 7 years ago or whenever it first came out it worked great on heartburn but if I eat dairy type food like you mentioned I wold have to take a Zantac of liquid antacids like you said if you have another PPI to take you might switch and see if that helps of before eating take a Zantac to see if it prevents it I would try the later first before switching Good Luck

The Following User Says Thank You to Stretch1one For This Useful Post:
wendya2J (11-04-2012)
Old 11-04-2012, 05:58 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

You have to stay positive although its hard do NOT try taking things you need to see what is going to work for your body we are not cogs we are not all the same

Old 11-04-2012, 06:24 PM   #9
(female)

wendya2J HB User

Quote:
You have to stay positive although its hard do NOT try taking things you need to see what is going to work for your body we are not cogs we are not all the same
You are so right!!! Sometimes Im at my whits end!!! It sounds silly to some people - reflux? Just take a tums!!! Well, its not always that easy, right? People just dont understand and I think that makes it harder. I go back to the GI doc tomorrow, and am not sure even what to say to him! We havent tried any other Rx medications (I tried all OTC stuff before giving in and going to the dr). Maybe he will suggest we switch it up???? Although this Dexilant was kinda expensive - makes me think I should use it up- lol!!!

Any suggestions on things to say to the Dr tomorrow????? Im at a loss of what to say that is new!

Old 11-04-2012, 07:21 PM   #10
Veteran
(male)

First of all write down ? or put in notes on your phone otherwise you will not remember. First of all what is it you want to fix? What is Not working and you would like to change. What is working if any I generally keep a log one week prior to going to the doctors. And I don't know about your GI mine cold be better i do not believe he's up on all the latest and greatest.

Ok have your had a upper GI? Which is the scope.
Had you been check for h pylori bacteria?
Checked for any food intolerances?
Chest X-rays. Ct scans of the abdomen
Do you have pain,naseua,vomiting after eating?
Is the Dexilant working is it correcting the problems your taking it for?
Should you be checked for deficiency IE low levels B12,vitamin D Magnesium that sort of thing.
Also talk to him about taking a probiotic or if he can check for lactose intolerance

I completely understand my wife or 20 year old son do not have reflux and have not clue how or I have and the toll it can take on you daily.
If you do like your GI DR after tomorrow's visit get another if possible I always find myself suggesting things to them and sometime the light come on in there head and they think of something of become more involved.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:12 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

JanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dany1982 View Post
Do you avoid dairy altogether? I have to as I'm lactose intolerant.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:14 AM   #12
(female)

wendya2J HB User

Went to the GI dr on Monday - he we need to check out the gallbladder more because my HIDA scan showed a rate of only 8% and although I dont have severe abdominal pain, I do have alot of burping, pain in the back and shoulder, discomfort on the right side of the chest.....lol....whats next!!!

Old 11-07-2012, 04:30 PM   #13
Veteran
(male)

I would be cautious cause I've read a lot on here also about people having there gallbladder removed and for not or sometimes worse just saying its worth looking into.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:50 AM   #14
(female)

wendya2J HB User

Quote:
I would be cautious cause I've read a lot on here also about people having there gallbladder removed and for not or sometimes worse just saying its worth looking into.
Thats why Im heading out to the family Doc on Monday before Is schedule anything.....my symptoms seem to be getting a bit worse though, more food intolerance, more pain in the ULQ and under the shoulder blade and nautious!!!!!

Old 11-08-2012, 05:16 PM   #15
Veteran
(male)

Are you having any chest pain or pressure from Gerds that can cause you to feel naseua

Reply Reply