It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2012, 10:41 AM   #1
(female)

dizziedame HB User
Nissan Fundoplication... Anyone??

Hello Everyone

I was just wondering if anyone had a positive outcome after this procedure, or if you are considering it as I am. I spoke to a surgeon who explained the testing I would have to have done first before even attempting the surgery, and so I'm due for a gastroscopy on Friday, I've had two over the years so no surprises there. There are two more tests after that and then I'll be ready to go ahead with the surgery if I think it will help me, or if the surgeon does most importantly. I know there are pros and cons to every surgery, and no surgery comes without possible complications, but I'd like to hear a success story to keep me encouraged. I'm to the point after 10 years, where I'm tired of feeling full to fast, cramping after eating, just plain uncomfortable every day in spite of medication changes and changing doses. I'd like to spend some years of my life not thinking about or feeling anything to do with stomach issues, it really has an impact on my mood and my life to a certain extent. Any feed back would be helpful, especially if anyone has had many good years after this surgery. I can find all kinds of horror stories on the net about bad outcomes for just about everything, so I'd like to know someone was successful with this particular surgery.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:08 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Nissan Fundoplication..Anyone??

Honestly, I believe there is a fairly good success rate for the surgery, but most of what you read on the internet seems to be from people who are unhappy. Those who have the most success, don't tend to post a lot afterwards.

I'm one of those who consider my Nissen Fundoplication a success. I had different symptoms than you have though. In my case, the acid was irritating my lungs so badly I'd developed life-threatening breathing problems. I had a great improvement from the moment I woke after the surgery. It has been just over 4 years now, and I have no regrets at all. In fact, if faced with the same decision again, knowing what I know now, I'd have the surgery again.

You don't say which other tests you are scheduled for. Have you had a manometry yet? You need to make sure you have good esophageal motility before having the surgery. If you don't have good motility, it could cause problems.

I have tons of posts on this board throughout my journey. My surgery was in October 2008 if you are interested in reading more.

Wishing you well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2012, 12:34 PM   #3
(female)

dizziedame HB User

Yes that's the second test I believe, manometry,I couldn't think of the name of it while I was posting my thread, then something to do with ph level. I'm not scheduled for these appointments yet, he just went over them briefly. He's one of those doctors who are so swamped with people to see in a day that he gave the impression he didn't have very much time to explain in detail. I felt a bit rushed so the next visit I may have to stop his banter and ask him if I could ask some questions before proceeding. I don't like the sound of the manometry test, but I'll do it just the same, it sounded to me like the tube may be left in for more then a day, I'll have to verify that with him, but he mentioned wanting to have it in place even for sleeping. Your symptoms sounded far worse then what I'm feeling daily. My last scope was done in 2008 and they found mild to moderate inflammation. After a barium test I was found to have midchest reflux, I feel as though there is something stuck in my throat all the time, and although I'm hungry a lot of the time, my stomach feels full. I don't smoke or drink, not over weight, nor do I eat junk food, so go figure I have all these problems just the same, oh well, that's life. I'll look for your posts, I'm still learning to navigate this webpage so hopefully I'll find them. Thank you for the positive feed back. You're right most people who post are feeling rather desparate for help or someone who can relate, I know that from experience, so it's good to hear from both sides of the coin.

The following user gives a hug of support to dizziedame:
MountainReader (11-04-2012)
Old 11-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

The Manometry test is fairly quick. I've had two. They will numb one of your nostrils and spray some stuff on the back of your throat to numb it a bit. (I didn't like the spray. It tastes like a cross between bananas and gasoline. At least it is quick.) They will then give you a cup of water with a straw. As they put the probe up your nostril and down your throat, they will have you swallow some water. The probe will slide down your throat with the nostril. That is the worst of it. They will then place the probe down to your lower esophageal sphincter. Along the way, they will stop and take measurements. When they are done, they will pull the probe out. Pretty quick and easy. Just don't think about the gag reflux stuff. Concentrate on the swallowing and you will be fine.

The other test sounds like a 24 hr pH test. I've had 3 of these. They use a different probe than the manometry, but is is a bit different. It will go in the same way. This time, they will leave the pH probe in. They will tape the tube coming out your nostril along your cheek and then tuck it behind your ear. It will be attached to a small computer which will measure any reflux incidents you have. Measurements will be recorded for duration and intensity. They will have you keep a symptom log which they will match up against your computerized results. You wear this test for 24 hours. It will measure your reflux incidents during the entire period, including while you sleep. It will automatically shut down at 24 hours and you will go in to have it removed. Removal is quick and easy. During this test, they will ask you to follow a normal day so they can get your typical results. I was a bit self-conscious at first, but then decided I really didn't care what others thought.

While this test isn't the most pleasant, it really isn't that horrible either. My results showed that my reflux got much more severe over the course of a couple years. About as bad as my GI doc and Pulmonologist ever saw. It helped me decide when it was time to go for the surgery.

Reply Reply