It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012, 05:34 PM   #1
(male)

renegade7 HB User
Getting back to normal post niesson LPR questions

Any pointers? Gonna have this thing in Jan 2013. I am not overweight and spend 3 day a week in the gym. I am 57. But I have a Hiatal Hernia and LPR. Been on meds 3 years, and to no avail. Can I expect to lose 30 lbs which I really cannot afford to lose. When can I get back to lifting weights and running again? This is why I have not yet committed. I have spent my life trying to stay fit, and I fear the thought of losing all my gains due to this ugly desaese. I weigh 170. Also, when can a person honestly go back to eating the way they did prior to this surgery? Lastly, what if some time after the surgery, even a year later, and you get sick and need to hurl? Now what? I have vomited after every one of my surgeries in the past. This won't be good. Any info greatly appreciated.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:23 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

JanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB User
Re: Getting back to normal post niesson LPR questions

I recovered pretty quickly and was back at work in three weeks. I hardly lost any weight. You'll probably find you need to eat smaller meals after the surgery.

Talk to your anaesthetist about the vomiting. I also vomit after surgery and I was scared about vomiting after this op. There are certain drugs which are more likely to make you sick. The anaesthetist will know which these are. I know that anything like morphine, codeine, pethedine can make you vomit. I had Tramadol afterwards for the pain, which was fine. There are also drugs they can give you which stop you from vomiting.

I had my surgery three years ago and I've never vomited since.

Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2012, 04:55 PM   #3
(male)

Johnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB User

Wondering how long it took you to convince the docs to do the surgery, question to both of you. If my LPR doesn't get better I would like to get the surgery. Is this a multi year process before they will agree to it or what might the requirements they want to see to do it? Seven months in and I am not seeing much improvement with my reflux.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:55 PM   #4
(male)

renegade7 HB User

Jana, thanks for the reply. The morphine is what makes me vomit. So I will stay away from that. Also Percacet. Three years and no weight lose. That is great to know. And Jonah, I could have had this operation back in the summer, but I did not want to. I still don't, but I have had it with the constant phlem in my throat, and clearing my throat after every other sentence. The docs tried me on Prilozec, then nexium, then doubled the dose to 80mg nexium, (40mgs twice a day), and added 300mg of Zantac at bed time. After the motility test last summer, doc gave me the green light for the wrap. I just hope no later then 3 months, I can get back to my workouts.

Jana, after 3 years, can you eat steak, or is that a thing of the past? What about drinking coffee again, or an occasional drink? Do you feel you got your life back? Take care....Bernie

Old 11-08-2012, 12:44 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade7 View Post
Any pointers? Gonna have this thing in Jan 2013. I am not overweight and spend 3 day a week in the gym. I am 57. But I have a Hiatal Hernia and LPR. Been on meds 3 years, and to no avail. Can I expect to lose 30 lbs which I really cannot afford to lose. When can I get back to lifting weights and running again? This is why I have not yet committed. I have spent my life trying to stay fit, and I fear the thought of losing all my gains due to this ugly desaese. I weigh 170. Also, when can a person honestly go back to eating the way they did prior to this surgery? Lastly, what if some time after the surgery, even a year later, and you get sick and need to hurl? Now what? I have vomited after every one of my surgeries in the past. This won't be good. Any info greatly appreciated.
I had a Nissen Fundoplication in 2008. It did wonders for me. I lost about 15 lbs after surgery, but it came back pretty quickly without even trying. I was on liquids only for the first 2 weeks, then added in soft foods for a couple weeks before adding back solids. I avoided meat and bread for about 3 months though At this point, I can eat anything I want. I'm just careful to cut up things like meat into smaller size bites. Some things like angel food cake I have to be careful with. The meat and breads just don't break down completely when they are chewed so they are more likely to get stuck if you aren't careful. It can be uncomfortable if something does get stuck, but it does work its way down without any problems.

I was on a weight lifting restriction for a couple months. After that I was good to go. It takes about 8 weeks for the majority of the swelling to go down in the stomach. I imagine you could be back to fairly normal workouts within 2-3 months with lighter workouts added back sooner. Certainly ask your surgeon for more details.

I have tons of issues with nausea and anesthesia. The surgeon had them give me extra anti-nausea meds during surgery and I had a script for Zofran after surgery. The surgeon also left instructions for me to get additional anti-nausea meds in my IV if I had problems when I woke up, which I did. For the most part, I find I can't vomit. When I get queasy, it just rolls around in the stomach for a while then goes away. I've had 2 nasty stomach bugs over the last few years and there was enough force behind the vomiting that I was able to throw up. Certainly not pleasant. I still get a bit worried when that happens. I get scared of tearing those stitches.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:44 AM   #6
(male)

Johnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB User

Thanks for the info guys. I doubt I am there yet but as you know this just seems like such a pain in the butt, never goes away. I am taking Dexilent 60 mg and 2X Pepcid 40 mg, one mid afternoon , another at bedtime. If I am not perfect on my diet etc though I have constant irritation with my lungs and esophagus. It is the odd day that it doesn't bother me not the norm and the logic sometimes of why or why not doesn't seem to follow. Like Bernie I have always taken very good care of myself, weight is not an issue, didn't drink much, probably did drink a bit too much coffee but that was about it.

Seems to me the downside on the surgery is short term so probably worth it. I guess there must be reasons why they don't do it more often. Thoughts on that?

Old 11-09-2012, 02:47 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

JanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade7 View Post
Jana, thanks for the reply. The morphine is what makes me vomit. So I will stay away from that. Also Percacet. Three years and no weight lose. That is great to know. And Jonah, I could have had this operation back in the summer, but I did not want to. I still don't, but I have had it with the constant phlem in my throat, and clearing my throat after every other sentence. The docs tried me on Prilozec, then nexium, then doubled the dose to 80mg nexium, (40mgs twice a day), and added 300mg of Zantac at bed time. After the motility test last summer, doc gave me the green light for the wrap. I just hope no later then 3 months, I can get back to my workouts.

Jana, after 3 years, can you eat steak, or is that a thing of the past? What about drinking coffee again, or an occasional drink? Do you feel you got your life back? Take care....Bernie
Hi, I'm sorry to report my surgery wasn't especially successful. I have minimal improvement and still take PPIs and Ranitidine. I don't drink coffee or alcohol. I haven't got my life back. I live a very quiet life, and try to avoid all stress.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:23 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Surgery is invasive. There are always risks with any type of surgery. There is also no guarantee that the procedure will work. From my research, people with breathing problems from the acid reflux have a higher percentage of success with the procedure than some other symptoms though.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #9
(male)

renegade7 HB User

Thank you Mountain Reader for your input. I will get this done in Jan. even though I am not looking forward to it. I am tired of all the throat discomfort and the effect it has on my ability to speak, with the horseness and all. I JUST DON'T WANT TO LOSE TOO MUCH WEIGHT. My surgeon said, "JUST EAT PLENTY OF ICE GREAM during the recovery, until you can get on solid foods. So we'll see. Do you feel you did the right thing in getting this done? I hope I am. I hate this LPR. Well, again, thanks.....

Old 12-23-2012, 05:49 PM   #10
(male)

Plicate5 HB User
Question Re: Getting back to normal post niesson LPR questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanaJ View Post
I recovered pretty quickly and was back at work in three weeks. I hardly lost any weight. You'll probably find you need to eat smaller meals after the surgery.

Talk to your anaesthetist about the vomiting. I also vomit after surgery and I was scared about vomiting after this op. There are certain drugs which are more likely to make you sick. The anaesthetist will know which these are. I know that anything like morphine, codeine, pethedine can make you vomit. I had Tramadol afterwards for the pain, which was fine. There are also drugs they can give you which stop you from vomiting.

I had my surgery three years ago and I've never vomited since.

Good luck.
Janaj: Do you find 3 years post that you can eat normal portions again?

Do you have any further reflux problems post surgery?

I had my nissen earlier this week which I wrote about in another post. My biggest concerns now are when i'll get to a portion size beyond a few spoonfuls and once the initial pain and swelling go down (which many say lasts a few months) will I still feel any reflux symptoms?
Thanks,
Gregg )

Old 12-23-2012, 11:36 PM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

Portion size will come. Just be patient and give it time. Time for your stomach swelling to go down. Any surgery to the stomach causes trauma. The stomach needs to get back to a more normal state. You should be much better in a few weeks. Mostly back to normal by 8 weeks. I was back to my normal portion size by then.

I added solid meats and breads back into my diet at about that point. They don't break down well when chewed and you run the most risk with them getting "stuck" above the wrap.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:15 PM   #12
(male)

Plicate5 HB User
Cool Re: Getting back to normal post niesson LPR questions

Hey Renegade,
Have you had your surgery yet? First let me say, I'm glad i did this so don't let my initial issues scare you. I only mention them because that is really my only complaint about the procedure, that the surgeon did not do a good job preparing me for the reality of eating post op.

I'm about 3 weeks post op for my nissen and hiatal hernia repair. Despite the doc saying i could take pills and eat soups with vegetable pieces and noodles right away, the reality was different. I'm very fit and work out regularly as well. I lost close to 16 pounds the first week because i could not eat nor drink even water without a feeling of intense pressure in my chest, like i was swallowing a golf ball. I think with fluids it was just air trapping. What i found i could eat though was popsicles. Not because of the cold but because it's a slower process with much less air trapping. So i ate fruit juice popsicles and popsicles I made from protein drinks.

My post op doc who i saw one week post op was covering for my surgeon and she was much more forth coming about what i could eat, as were folks on this forum. She wanted me to get 60 grams of protein in per day which likely didn't happen till day 9 post op. I did find the first week i could eat gummy bear style vitamins so was taking those instead of my regular supplements. Getting to the 60 grams of protein was finding soft protein bars such as the brand "PURE PROTEIN" which has 20 grams per bar. I just made sure they were the chewy melt in your mouth kind with no nuts or other pieces at first. I could only eat perhaps a 1/4 to 1/2 bar at a time initially though now (again 3 weeks out as of tomorrow) I can eat a full one within a few minutes. It actually takes me longer to drink fluids then eat a bar. Warm fluids being easier. At this point i've also added in smoked salmon as it is very soft and protein rich. I just need to chew it well. Regular salmon is to thick a fish to go done but i am eating tilapia as it flakes easily. I am eating bars with nuts now too as though things like scrambled eggs won't go down yet, roasted nuts chewed well actually do. So do root vegetable chips like potato or turnip chips. One way i explained the variances to myself and friends was, imagine taking a funnel and pouring in scrambled eggs, even well chewed scrambled eggs. They clump together and won't go through the funnel, but if you put finely chopped nuts in the funnel, they will go through.

Each day it gets better and better. I was back to work by day 8 or 9 and even started small work outs like running or very, very light weight which both my docs said was ok. One thing i can't do is any direct abdominal work. I'm also a kayak instructor (in addition to being a nurse) but will be staying out of my kayak for at least six weeks because it is lots of direct core work with twisting of the body.

Hope this helps. Good luck and feel free to ask more. )

The Following User Says Thank You to Plicate5 For This Useful Post:
Nole4ever (01-09-2013)
Reply Reply