It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2012, 12:53 PM   #1
(male)

Leo255 HB UserLeo255 HB User
I have an Esophageal Manometry tomorrow (also have gag reflex) - Big deal?

I'm scheduled for a manometry tomorrow - Obviously, I don't get to be knocked out here since they're going to need me awake to swallow, give feedback, etc. but I'm wondering if this is a big deal. I've always had a bad gagging problem my entire life, and it has been the main reason why I have always hated going to the dentist. Seems like it would be a problem here, but I hope it's not. Would appreciate some advice from those here who have had it already.

Last edited by Leo255; 11-07-2012 at 12:53 PM.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:15 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

JanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB User
Re: I have an Esophageal Manometry tomorrow (also have gag reflex) - Big deal?

I'm the same as you with the gag reflex. I've had two manometry tests done. During the first one they gave me a drink of water with a straw and told me to keep swallowing sips of water as the tube went up my nose and down my throat. I kept gagging and I vomited all the water back up.

The second time I had it done without any water, until the tube was right down and it was much better. They do spray your throat with an anaesthetic spray which does numb things.

Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2012, 07:57 AM   #3
(male)

Thanks for the advice...I have my test in about 4 hours. The unfortunate thing is that the not being able to drink anything that I have to do will definitely add to my gag reflex. Just have to be positive, though...Thinking big picture.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:07 AM   #4
(male)

Sigh...have been experiencing sharp pain from my acid and there's nothing I can do about it. Crappy part is that they're not even testing for acid, they're testing for swallowing strength. Damn...Just have to try to do my best.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

Good luck with your Manometry today. I've had 3 and understand what you are going through.

Take care.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:39 PM   #6
(male)

Ok, got it done...

It was bad, but I was determined to get it done no matter what. I wasn't leaving without having it done completely - No way I was going back. Hardest part was obviously having it pushed down my throat, but I just closed my eyes and pushed through the difficult part. Swallowing and having it pushed down was also uncomfortable, but not as bad. After that, having myself not swallow while they were pulling it up was very difficult. You really cannot stop a reflex like that, but I minimized it just so I could get through everything. Most of the time, I had my eyes closed as I just wanted to zone myself out while they did whatever they had to do. Afterwards, my throat was a little sore, but nothing really too bad.

I guess the only bad thing is that I would have liked to have had a 24-hr PH started, since I was in that "mode." When I told the Nurse about the 24-hr test and how you need it for the surgery, she said that she didn't even think I was a candidtate - I told her about my pain/burning, and about how intense it was/is and how medications didn't work, so I guess that is that. I suppose it shouldn't be that bad, though, as I kind of know what to expect if I go again. Also, as a side note, I shouldn't really have an excuse to be scared of the dentist now that I had an actual tube shoved all the way into my throat/esophagus.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:44 PM   #7
(male)

Another quick update, but man is my throat sore and hurting right now. Wishing I had a cough drop to numb it 'till it went away...Shouldn't really be complaining though, as my reflux and severe acid pain is seeming to take a break on me today.

Reply Reply