It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 03:52 PM   #1
(female)

mary86 HB User
Question Nissen vs. Linx

I went to my Dr. for pre-op appt. today, for Nissen Fundoplication surgery and Hernia repair.
I have now been given the option of Linx instead of Nissen Fundoplication.

Does anyone have thoughts or advice on this?

Old 11-08-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
(male)

Leo255 HB UserLeo255 HB User
Re: Nissen vs. Linx

I looked this up, and it looks promising, but is also very new. This is available in the US? I would look into the TIF, as well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2012, 07:33 PM   #3
(female)

mary86 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo255 View Post
I looked this up, and it looks promising, but is also very new. This is available in the US? I would look into the TIF, as well.
Yes'having surgery in the a.m.... It is very new and sounds great/! I'm just concerned because it is so new. But the Dr. assures me if for any reason it doesn't work he will remove it and I can have Nissen.

Wish me luck .... I think I've made up my mind to have linx done.

Old 11-10-2012, 01:24 PM   #4
(female)

dany1982 HB Userdany1982 HB User

good luck on your surgery and please let us know how it goes.
this it's a new surgery and I've been thinking about it also, but couldn't find much about it
hope you'll have a speedy recovery

The following user gives a hug of support to dany1982:
mary86 (11-10-2012)
Old 11-11-2012, 08:04 AM   #5
(female)

mary86 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dany1982 View Post
good luck on your surgery and please let us know how it goes.
this it's a new surgery and I've been thinking about it also, but couldn't find much about it
hope you'll have a speedy recovery
Day 2 post op...Linx went very well. I had a swallow test yesterday a.m., and absoutely no reflux. Yippee!!
With Linx, you are encouraged to eat immediatey to make sure
the ring is working properly. I'm able to burp (yippee)and have had zero heartburn
for the first time in a long time.

Only setback is that Hernia was a lot larger than diagnostics showed, so I'm still in the hospital due to that repair.

For anyone considering Nissen Fundoplication, Linx is definately worth reading up on.
I will keep you posted on my progress. I am ecstatic about my results so far.:-) :-) :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to mary86 For This Useful Post:
Nole4ever (12-27-2012)
Old 11-11-2012, 08:08 AM   #6
(female)

great news, please keep us posted on how you are doing, hope you'll recover fast
do you have any problems swallowing?
where did you go to have the surgery, who was your surgeon?

Old 11-11-2012, 08:29 AM   #7
(female)

mary86 HB User
Smile Re: Nissen vs. Linx

Quote:
great news, please keep us posted on how you are doing, hope you'll recover fast
do you have any problems swallowing?
where did you go to have the surgery, who was your surgeon?
I 'm eating breakfast (French Toast) and I'm a little
sore, but that should be expected.

I am in Denver, Co at Swedish Medical center. Dr. Reginald Bell performed surgery. He is amazing. I did a lot of research before I chose this surgeon.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:40 AM   #8
(male)

Johnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB User

Glad to hear so far so good !

Please post to keep us up to date on your progress, this may be a good alternative for many of us.

Just wondering did you end up paying for this , with Lynx being so new I imagine it isn't easy to get any coverage from health care insurers. If you did pay for it what is the ballpark on cost? Thanks, it may be something I pursue.

The following user gives a hug of support to Johnah:
mary86 (11-12-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnah For This Useful Post:
mary86 (11-12-2012)
Old 11-12-2012, 10:08 AM   #9
(female)

lmares1968

were you on a lot of medication before? were you still having symptoms despite the medicine? what made you have the surgery?
are you still on medication, or that is not necessary anymore?
thank you

Old 11-12-2012, 04:33 PM   #10
(female)

mary86 HB User
Smile Re: Nissen vs. Linx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnah View Post
Glad to hear so far so good !

Please post to keep us up to date on your progress, this may be a good alternative for many of us.

Just wondering did you end up paying for this , with Lynx being so new I imagine it isn't easy to get any coverage from health care insurers. If you did pay for it what is the ballpark on cost? Thanks, it may be something I pursue.
Hi Johnah, I was surprised to find out that my Insurance Co. (United Health Care)
covered the cost of LINX. According to my Dr.'s asst., they have been having no problem getting them approved.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #11
(female)

mary86 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Nissen vs. Linx

Quote:
lmares1968

were you on a lot of medication before? were you still having symptoms despite the medicine? what made you have the surgery?
are you still on medication, or that is not necessary anymore?
thank you
Yes, I was on Aciphex, then Nexium, then Dexilant all at the highest dose with little to no relief. No I am not on PPI's now.

After years of living with many symptoms, having many scopes, many tests, different doctors, and a whole lot of money, I was so excited to find the Dr. who performed my LINX Procedure and Hernia repair.

I went in for pre-op last Thursday, thinking I was going to have Nissen Fundoplication. I was told then, that my insurance had approved either procedure, so the choice was mine. Believe it or not, I was mentally ready for Nissen and had read every imaginable piece of info on it. So the choice at the last minute threw me for a loop.
Luckily my husband immediately researched what little he could find on it, and said it sounded like a "no-brainer." Although it is new, it is a lot less invasive and it can be reversed.

So far I am 3 full days post-op and I'm having normal soreness as with any laparoscopic procedure. Soreness in my neck and shoulders from the gas, very little from the incisions, a lot of soreness inside from the Hernia repair, bloating, burping a lot, and my swallowing was a little rough today (only because I have to get in the habit of taking small bites, and chewing my food till' it's mush.)
I have had no heartburn for 3 days straight . That in itself is amazing to me.
I

Last edited by Administrator; 11-16-2012 at 12:00 PM.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:23 PM   #12
(female)

winghall HB User

Hi lmares1968
Well done. I wish you all the best. This is really a good news for many of us - GERD suffers!! When did you stop taking PPIs?

Old 11-13-2012, 09:02 AM   #13
(female)

mary86 HB User
Cool Re: Nissen vs. Linx

Quote:
Originally Posted by winghall View Post
Hi lmares1968
Well done. I wish you all the best. This is really a good news for many of us - GERD suffers!! When did you stop taking PPIs?
I stopped taking PPI's a couple of months before my procedure because I was having a lot of testing done. I was controlling acid with over the counter Zantac up til' the day of surgery.

I just woke up on day 4 and I am still heartburn free.

I do have to stress that diet is really important in this recovery. You will be placed on a soft diet, only meaning take small bites and chewing properly. That has been the hardest thing for me to get in the habit of. Even learning to sip and not gulp has been a little bit of a challenge. Those behavior modifications will be a easy compared to some to the options that were available.
If you can think of more questions to ask, please don't hesitate. Have a great day!

Old 11-13-2012, 06:02 PM   #14
(female)

winghall HB User

Thanks for the answer. Could you tell us more of your symptoms before the operation. Did you have LPR at all? (sore throat, voice hoarseness, pain in the chest, pain when talking).
What was the cause of your original reflux? (stress, anxiety or physical eg. hiatus hernia). It would be helpful to some of us.
I hope that you continue to do well and that the reflux is truly over. Please keep us posted of your progress. Thanks again

Old 11-13-2012, 08:34 PM   #15
(female)

mary86 HB User
Wink Re: Nissen vs. Linx

I was originally diagnosed with LPR. The cause of the original reflux was the "The Hiatal Hernia coupled with a faulty lower esophageal sphincter." My final diagnoses was LPR/GERD.

I've had multiple tests, scopes, and swallows done before going to my current Dr., who performed all of the tests again in his office and diagnosed me in less than a month.

I had the following symptoms,

Sore throat
Hoarse voice, weak voice, complete loss of voice
Excessive throat clearing
Had Vocal Cord Nodule at one time
Asthma-Dry Cough (not productive) feels like choking or something in throat (Emergency inhaler for asthma did not help)
On occasion can’t swallow spit or post nasal drip (Food and water no problem)
Laryngospasms (I have gone to the E.R. with this twice in the past 5 years)
Ear Aches
Feeling like something is in my throat most of the time
Occasional Heartburn (not often)
Woke up in the middle of the night choking on acid
Some days I had no symptoms other than hoarse voice.
Some days I had several painful symptoms all at once.
Treatment

I'm at the end of day 4 and have no reflux or heartburn to report. I'm extremely sore in my shoulders and neck from surgery. I am also trying not to take a full does of pain medicine. I'm not a big fan of any pain medications.
Swallowing is a little painful. As I said before, I need to learn how to eat small bites, portions, and take sips.

Last edited by Administrator; 11-16-2012 at 12:06 PM.

Reply Reply