It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 05:07 PM   #1
(male)

wbb827 HB User
Question acid reflux diet

My esophagus is irritated after my first Gerd flare up, and I have been instructed to start a Gerd diet. Can somebody help me set one up? I'm a weight lifter, accustomed to a high protein diet. So I need help! Any response would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2012, 02:30 PM   #2
(female)

dany1982 HB Userdany1982 HB User
Re: acid reflux diet

try a bland diet
no spices, no acidic fruits and veggies, dairy bothers some people, no fried foods or greasy, no alcohol
try the Koufman low acid diet
good luck

Last edited by hb-mod; 11-10-2012 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Please don't post unapproved website links, or recommend Internet searches, per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2012, 02:32 PM   #3
(female)

also coffee and sweets kill me (including protein bars)
keep a food diary to identify the foods that bother you

The Following User Says Thank You to dany1982 For This Useful Post:
wbb827 (11-11-2012)
Old 11-11-2012, 08:19 AM   #4
(male)

wbb827 HB User

Thanks much for the reply! I was beginning to worry if anybody was reading my posts haha. But yes I have began somethiing similar to a softer food diet, and portioning my big meals evenly throughout the day. Ive cut most alcohol, mainly beer, caffeine, and am in the process of quitting dip after a few years. My bodies definintly been going through a little shock, as its trying to adjust to the new lifestyle! Another quick question, Im an avid protein shake drinker, should I switch the whole milk for 2%? Protein shakes are really a really good source of protein when trying to get away from solid proteins I've been told. It really sucks not getting to enjoy onions or citrus fruits anymore. But I've substituted oranges for bananas and started eating red appples instead of green as well. I'm also dedicating a day of workouts to a yoga and semi-meditation routine, as I've been told it helps tighten the sphincters.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:57 AM   #5
(female)

sure you can change to 2% milk, the less fat the better
I don't know what to tell you about the protein drinks, I personally have problems with them probably because they have so many additives
but if they don't bother you that is great, just try and see how are you feeling with them
if it bothers you just stop them

Old 11-11-2012, 09:20 AM   #6
(male)

wbb827 HB User

Yeah, ill def see if theres any triggers. Another question. Which meds are you on for reflux? Ive been on perscribed Reglan and Prilosec for almost three weeks, which don't get me wrong do help with the heart burn, but do not subside the actual reflux. My reflux is more LPR than lower reflux, and I'm considering making the switch to two zantac 150's a day, just to see which one works better. Ive also considered asking my doc about nexium, which ive been told works wonders.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:28 AM   #7
(female)

I've tried all ppis and h2, as I was having bad reactions to them
I'm currently on protonix 40mg twice a day, and that barely cuts it even with the diet
I still can not lie down to sleep, I have chest tightness with the heartburn, my stomach also started to burn recently
also, reglan, tums, gaviscon, maalox, carafate as needed
a few months ago a was feeling a little better, then I had a frapuccino, ice cream and some grapes, and all went downhill since, and I can not get it better
my next step is to get the bravo test to see what is happening

Old 11-11-2012, 09:48 AM   #8
(male)

wbb827 HB User

I'm really sorry this is happening to you. After extensive research and reading hundreds of storie of others going through this, I've started to form theory that I'm really suffering from lpr. The lump in the throat has subsided, I havent had any cough, however I have suffered from hoarseness, mild jaw pain, a little difficulty swallowing, with my ears randomly ringing a couple of times, and post nasal drip these have all been tied to GERD and LPR. I have also taken into account that i quit dipping cold turkey, which is also having its little effects on me. I had a caffeine overdose, which triggered all of these symptoms and problems three weeks ago today. Ive been to see my doc 3 times, along with the initial ER visit (thought I was having a heart attack). My very first post on here tells the complete story. Two ekg exams told me my heart was fine, I've also had a blood test ran which canceled out h pylori, liver problems, or any blood related issue. The doc has simply dismissed my case as reflux issues, and says it takes time to heal, trial and error with diets and meds, and that in order to fix the issue, i must learn to live and deal with GERD. When initially being consulted, the docs main concern was if i had coughing or vomiting, or black/bloody stools, for which i had none of these. He also related my problems to stress and anxiety, which he said were typical of patients being introduced to Gerd.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #9
(male)

Gonzoe HB UserGonzoe HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbb827 View Post
Thanks much for the reply! I was beginning to worry if anybody was reading my posts haha. But yes I have began somethiing similar to a softer food diet, and portioning my big meals evenly throughout the day. Ive cut most alcohol, mainly beer, caffeine, and am in the process of quitting dip after a few years. My bodies definintly been going through a little shock, as its trying to adjust to the new lifestyle! Another quick question, Im an avid protein shake drinker, should I switch the whole milk for 2%? Protein shakes are really a really good source of protein when trying to get away from solid proteins I've been told. It really sucks not getting to enjoy onions or citrus fruits anymore. But I've substituted oranges for bananas and started eating red appples instead of green as well. I'm also dedicating a day of workouts to a yoga and semi-meditation routine, as I've been told it helps tighten the sphincters.
You quit dip exercises too? I had too BC behind my chest it would hurt when stretches, upper chess below neck

Reply Reply